bit of an update

rummy

Elk is colder and receives more snowfall so I believe they have better conditions than other southern pocono areas. I'm only making assumptions as I haven't skied Elk since 1995. I might carpool up with Root and Moe Ghoul onesay.

If I'm not in VT or ME this winter, then I would love to be there for that mini PASR rendevouz...

Every time i have been to elk, the snow was fantastic. Every time i have been to elk, it was not a mad house like blue usually is. This is the MAIN reason for such a drastic difference in snow quality. In the past i would have said blue's snowmaking sucked, but this year i found it to be pretty decent.

SKI Magazine !!! Fuck son stop the presses

I actually get that shitty piece of papyrus because along with Cat Fancy (which actually is a better mag than Ski) my sister gets them for free and thinks its funny to sign me up for random magazines.

90% of that magazine is advertisements parading around as an actual article. Its 4000 ways to find the best hotel or which valet service can find you the best coke.

All you need to know about Ski Magazine is they think Deer Valley is the best place to ski in the NA. Deer fucking we serve our delicious hamburgers on monogrammed china while some South American takes your boots off Valley. Shit DV isn't even the best hill in a 20mile radius let alone all of NA.

ding ding ding! SKI magazine is trash. it does not cater to any demographic other than rich doctors/lawyers/etc who own a vacation home they use for one week a year at deer valley/beaver creek/aspen. no other ski area can possibly be as good to them. nothing against them, as i've never skied them, but i've never met someone who has skied those places as well as others and still agrees with SKI mag.

I don't even look at ski mag... But out of the PA resorts I've been to, it has to have the best grooming... Definitely not the best snowmaking... Most likely not even the best snow since Blue Knob averages over 100" and 7 Springs has posted back to back 200"+ the past 2 seasons...

All I hear in this discussion is the need for multiple PASR meetings at the mountain. Set up a couple dates to go to the various mountains and such as a group lol. Either way sounds like good times in the constant battle of Shit vs. Shit (good phrasing especially since I don't know anything but shit as I haven't skied outside of PA)

Best shit you'll ski on... I'd love to do a PASR day there lol

I've actually been to Elk. I thought it was nice and the lack of crowds was clutch. Bought my pass at Buckmans so I got a little bit of a discount. I'm down for whatever we can get the group to do.

(good phrasing especially since I don't know anything but shit as I haven't skied outside of PA)

dude, you owe it to yourself to make it a point to ski outside of PA. at bare minimum you should hit up the catskills. it's an easy ride up there (approx 3.5 to 4 hrs, depending on traffic). it's a lot easier and more affordable than you might think B)

dude, you owe it to yourself to make it a point to ski outside of PA. at bare minimum you should hit up the catskills. it's an easy ride up there (approx 3.5 to 4 hrs, depending on traffic). it's a lot easier and more affordable than you might think B)

No question about that. I just started skiing in January so I didn't get a chance to make it up north but it

Also, if your like Steeze and want to rack off some quick runs, Belleayre has a high speed quad and a decent vibe going on... They have decent snowmaking, and similar snowfall to Plattekill... They also have a bunch of discounts you can find all over the place... The runout at the bottom is flat, but its usually fun nonetheless...

Belleayres high speed is on the side of the hill with mellower terrain. Belleayre is OK steep at the top flat at the bottom. I like Dot Nebal alot..still 3 hours+ to Belleayre. I'd rather drive a few more to Vermont

Absolutely, but from the valley, and certainly from north Jersey, Belleayre is definitely day trippable...

Plattekill rocks when there is snow. They are adding some more snowmaking this year. No flat runout. Lazlo the owner is a great guy trying to compete against NY State run Bellayre who gives away tickets. They still have a lot of discount days and deals with local lodging like kids ski free. I usually stay in Margaretville but that whole area got wacked pretty bad by Irene. Plattekill came through pretty well unscathed. Lazlo offered all and any of his equipment to help anyone in the area who needs it. Support the local independant guy!

Since this is the Elk thead I'll add; Elk does have the best grooming in PA and you'll ski on good conditions all day while most of the Blue regulars blow out by 10:00am on the weekends because it gets skied down to "Pocono Powder" (read ice)and the lines are long by that time. People who love high speed lifts will stand in line 20 minutes for a 5 minute ride to the top when you can be at the top at Elk in less than 15 minutes and that's only if there is a line. Elk also has a better variety of trails than any area in PA with no flat runout like Blue and Camelback. It's worth the extra drive.

I'm in....RideDelaware and I can show you the secret stashes ;) ;)

If we make it a "Wild Wednesday", I'll be able to get vouchers for $20. (or whatever discount it is this year) for the whole group. Sorry, no discounts available on weekends that I know about.

Locals said Elk spent a fair amount of $$$ updating the "halfway house" (picnic hut),

Do you know what they did to the halfway house? The last time I stopped in there, several years ago, it looked like it did about 20 years ago, including all the grease stains around the fire pit.

Do you know what they did to the halfway house? The last time I stopped in there, several years ago, it looked like it did about 20 years ago, including all the grease stains around the fire pit.

I was told, but did not see, they put in a new floor, ceiling, and fresh paint.

PASR day at Elk????

I'm definitely down.

If we make it a "Wild Wednesday", I'll be able to get vouchers for $20. (or whatever discount it is this year) for the whole group. Sorry, no discounts available on weekends that I know about.

Last year buckmans had discounted lift tickets for weekends for sale. Not sure what the discount was (don't remember it being spectacular) but every little bit helps.

Last year buckmans had discounted lift tickets for weekends for sale. Not sure what the discount was (don't remember it being spectacular) but every little bit helps.

Elk's prices are usually equal to most of the other resorts in the Poconos for mid-season daily lift tickets, but they rarely offer early and late season rates or discounted tickets elsewhere. Sometimes they will offer a late season deal where you buy a lift ticket and then return it before the end of season for a $15 discount. They did not do this last year...

There's also nowhere decent to stay near Belleayre..closest chain motels are in Kingston.

Hannah Mountain resort is about 8-10 miles away and I got a room for $70, 2 beds, lotsa room, indoor pool/sauna/hot tub and good food/beer deals at the bar. Take someone else along, check in solo for the 1 person deal, then stealth into the room and split the bill. Meet at the bar later like you never met before.

Hannah Mountain resort is about 8-10 miles away and I got a room for $70, 2 beds, lotsa room, indoor pool/sauna/hot tub and good food/beer deals at the bar. Take someone else along, check in solo for the 1 person deal, then stealth into the room and split the bill. Meet at the bar later like you never met before.

I may have to look into that next year if I am planning on hitting up Platty...

good to know. Thanks for the info!