bit of an update

rummy

I spent a week at TLCITW (the little cabin in the woods) last week, doing a little maintenance, playing some golf, drinking beer, listening to some rythm and blues on the Stonebridge deck and talking to some locals.

Locals said Elk spent a fair amount of $$$ updating the "halfway house" (picnic hut),

did more improvements on the snowmaking in spots, widened and removed trees on the "west Indian" trails,(as previously discussed) and filled with new pine trees.

Penndot also did a fine job of repaving the road from Idlewild ski shop all the way past the Elk parking lot. Beware though, the road is now heavily patrolled by Clifford Twp and State Troopers.

I'm glad they repaved it... The road to elk was bad, but past elk was absolutely terrible... Definitely an upgrade the mountain didn't have to pay for... I'm bummed about the cops... I usually take the whole road (minus the curves) at like 50 to 60 (I think it's a 35)... Really cuts down on time, and some sections can take that speed, especially since there is no entering traffic... It is what it is, and maybe they will be gone in the winter... I'm looking forward to going back, as I am every year... I just wish there would be some "big" improvements... Elk has so much more to offer...

ditto to that! but you know they won't, elk's ownership is extremely cheap....

Luckily they spend money on things that need it, they just don't go above and beyond the call of duty... They continue to upgrade snowmaking, repaired the roof on the main lodge, and are fixing up the picnic lodge. They also keep many seasonal employees employed year round by doing most of the work themselves. As long as they keep doing well with the current format I doubt that much will change... But I can thing of some things that would be nice changes or additions...

I spent a week at TLCITW (the little cabin in the woods) last week, doing a little maintenance, playing some golf, drinking beer, listening to some rythm and blues on the Stonebridge deck and talking to some locals.

That sounds very pleasant, especially the part about relaxing on the deck, gabbing with the locals and listening to some music. I'm gonna have to check that out some time.

That sounds very pleasant, especially the part about relaxing on the deck, gabbing with the locals and listening to some music. I'm gonna have to check that out some time.

Every Thursday all Summer a large crowd gathers to hear some great tunes on the deck at the Stonebridge Inn.

i remember in high school we took a ski club trip to elk. it was sleeting and on the way up the road into elk these douche bags flew past our bus flipping us the bird. a little later we get to a huge curve in the road and they had missed the curve and crashed straight into a field lol

Ah, the infamous Chet's corner (straight ahead is Chet's Place), now there's a HUGE yellow arrow pointing directly to Elk. This corner can get very slick and is canted to take the unsuspecting driver directly into the field.

Ah, the infamous Chet's corner (straight ahead is Chet's Place), now there's a HUGE yellow arrow pointing directly to Elk. This corner can get very slick and is canted to take the unsuspecting driver directly into the field.

So that's how the locals keep the crowds down... Keep them in the fields... I haven't been in awhile when there is snow on the roads, but it's usually worse on the straight section...

Meh. Such wasted potential.

Elk's potential is through the roof... The big problem is that the owner regards it as a trophy and the GM has been there many years and only aims for the status quot... They need some younger/newer blood that will breathe some life into the mountain with some new ideas... For starters, a new website and a Facebook account, both of which are cheap, would be a good start...

• Like 1

I want to go to Elk just to meet the salty locals.

Make it a Wild Wednesday, and I'll get you a voucher for a $20. lift ticket (2010-11 prices), and I'll also introduce you to some of my "salty" drinking buds. Even invite you back to TLCITW for an evening meal.

Wednesdays are so empty, it's like we own the mountain.

Meh. Such wasted potential.

lulz

Elk doesn't develop because they have no $$$ which is mostly because they are in the middle of nowhere.

Not every place has to be whistler regardless it is a way overrated hill. Its kinda flat and the trail design and layout is pretty standard shit. Nobody even remembered elk existed and then bam ski magazine starts adding them to the asinine EC list and now its hot shit.

Blue Knob is by far is the best hill in PA, but even Little Gap Blue is a better hill than elk.

• Like 3

even Little Gap Blue is a better hill than elk.

I disagree. IMO Elk has superior snow quality, better trail layout, and smaller crowds.

I do like however that as pathetic as they are, Blue is open to the idea of glades. If Elk were to clear some brush and open up the trees, that'd be awesome.

Also, when you're at the base area at Blue, does anyone else feel like you're at the trailer park of ski areas?

I still want to get out to Blue Knob one day, it looks awesome for a PA ski area.

lulz

Elk doesn't develop because they have no $$$ which is mostly because they are in the middle of nowhere.

Not every place has to be whistler regardless it is a way overrated hill. Its kinda flat and the trail design and layout is pretty standard shit. Nobody even remembered elk existed and then bam ski magazine starts adding them to the asinine EC list and now its hot shit.

Blue Knob is by far is the best hill in PA, but even Little Gap Blue is a better hill than elk.

By wasted potential, I wasn't referring to them spending a load of money on dumb shit like condos or what have you. I was talking about simply clearing out some gladed terrain and allowing tree skiing because (even though you call it flat) it would be that much better if they did. Every year its the same thing with them..."new for this year, we planted X number of trees". It's old IMO.

Agreed... I want to hit Blue Knob too, I just haven't had the chance... Past that, I just really like elk... It feels good to be there... Could they have better trails? Yes... Could they open glades? Yes... Can they change the mountain and runouts? Perhaps... I like the lack of crowds, better snow, and quite possibly the best grooming in PA... If elk and Blue were side by side, I'd probably ski elk 80% of the time... My only real complaint is lift ticket prices... They are steep. However, with that being said, you'll get done of that back in the cafeteria. Long live Elk.

And at this point, planting evergreens is not an improvement in any way shape or form... That section had more than enough of a windbreak...

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

that all depends. topographically speaking, elk and blue mtn are different. elk is more like a true peak with ridges radiating out from the top. blue is a ridge line with no real peak. so basically, it really depends on what kind of mtn you like to ski on. the one-to-one comparison of elk to blue for terrain isn't the best.

that being said, the snow quality of elk mtn is vastly superior to blue mtn. also, the trail layout at elk has fewer switchbacks (i personally don't like a lot of switchbacks). so i think this is a valid one-to-one comparison...and elk mtn wins hands down.

i have not yet been to blue knob. from what i've seen online and thru trailmaps/ google earth, the layout kinda reminds me of jack frost but the actual terrain is more like montage (flat up top, steep at the bottom). granted, blue knob does have the highest summit elevation of any ski area in PA....so that affords them the ability to blow fairly descent snow. not sure how much natural snow they get compared to the pocono's or elk mtn. one of these days i'll get to blue knob....but if i'm gonna drive 3.5 hrs to go skiing i'd rather hit up hunter or windham in the catskills.

that all depends. topographically speaking, elk and blue mtn are different. elk is more like a true peak with ridges radiating out from the top. blue is a ridge line with no real peak. so basically, it really depends on what kind of mtn you like to ski on. the one-to-one comparison of elk to blue for terrain isn't the best.

that being said, the snow quality of elk mtn is vastly superior to blue mtn. also, the trail layout at elk has fewer switchbacks (i personally don't like a lot of switchbacks). so i think this is a valid one-to-one comparison...and elk mtn wins hands down.

i have not yet been to blue knob. from what i've seen online and thru trailmaps/ google earth, the layout kinda reminds me of jack frost but the actual terrain is more like montage (flat up top, steep at the bottom). granted, blue knob does have the highest summit elevation of any ski area in PA....so that affords them the ability to blow fairly descent snow. not sure how much natural snow they get compared to the pocono's or elk mtn. one of these days i'll get to blue knob....but if i'm gonna drive 3.5 hrs to go skiing i'd rather hit up hunter or windham in the catskills.

Elks' snow can't be vastly superior to blue by definition, PA snow is hardpack shit, if you want to endlessly separate shit by just how shitty it is be my guest but it isn't like Blue is hardpack and they are riding 20" of 3% at elk.

Elk is pretty much 10 trails straight down the fall line with no real effort required. Lackawanna, Seneca, TunkhannockMonongahela whatever the fuck its called are all the same. Stand at top, point skis down hill, don't fall over, rinse and repeat.

As for the knob I see alot of I've never been there but I'll draw conclusions anyways because I'm clairvoyant. Whatever floats your boat Ms. Cleo

oh i can't wait for the yearly mountain bashing/comparing/boners/preferences! is it starting now?!? already? if so, make it official so that i can go hide for a few days and hang out with TTC6.

Come on this has been a quiet summer, I even tried to get an apple vs android e-thug throw down going and that didn't take off. If shitting on various people's home hill is wrong I don't want to be right. LULZ

• Like 1

I have always been an Elk groupie... I was a CB groupie for a year or two since it was the first pocono resort I went to. That being said, I view them both the same way now, but I'd rather haveBlue for a day. CB has a longer season and better grooming, but I'm bored after a couple hours at both... I'm fine at Elk because it takes me longer than that with all the slow lifts :)

Elks' snow can't be vastly superior to blue by definition, PA snow is hardpack shit, if you want to endlessly separate shit by just how shitty it is be my guest but it isn't like Blue is hardpack and they are riding 20" of 3% at elk.

ya, i'm just gonna have to disagree with you on this one. elk mtn is consistently ranked in SKI mag's top 10 eastern resorts for snow quality. i don't recall any other PA resort being able to stake that claim....

ya, i'm just gonna have to disagree with you on this one. elk mtn is consistently ranked in SKI mag's top 10 eastern resorts for snow quality. i don't recall any other PA resort being able to stake that claim....

Yeah...ski magazine rankings don't really carry much weight on ski message boards.

Yeah...ski magazine rankings don't really carry much weight on ski message boards.

Most of them are voted on by street cred and popularity, so it is pretty much bullshit... However, when it comes to grooming hardpack shit, elk does it better than blue lol

SKI Magazine !!! Fuck son stop the presses

I actually get that shitty piece of papyrus because along with Cat Fancy (which actually is a better mag than Ski) my sister gets them for free and thinks its funny to sign me up for random magazines.

90% of that magazine is advertisements parading around as an actual article. Its 4000 ways to find the best hotel or which valet service can find you the best coke.

All you need to know about Ski Magazine is they think Deer Valley is the best place to ski in the NA. Deer fucking we serve our delicious hamburgers on monogrammed china while some South American takes your boots off Valley. Shit DV isn't even the best hill in a 20mile radius let alone all of NA.

• Like 1