2011/2012 day number 1

RidgeRacer

I think we need a trip report. There trying to stay open 7 days a week according to there facebook site. I was really considering heading up this weekend since I have nothing planned but the advanced only terrain is kinda detering me from doing so. How were the runs that were avaiable etc.

They Say that every year to deter noobs from crowding the slopes. The truth is, most of the terrain off the NRT is pretty easy stuff IMHO. That being said, base depths early season sometimes don't allow grooming, so there could be some challenging conditions on even the beginner terrain. That is most likely why they advertise for advanced skiers only...

I think we need a trip report. There trying to stay open 7 days a week according to there facebook site. I was really considering heading up this weekend since I have nothing planned but the advanced only terrain is kinda detering me from doing so. How were the runs that were avaiable etc.

Took 10 hours to get there from Montgomery County. Roads were absolute shit, trees down across 287 and 87.

As for the hill. Typical North Ridge terrain open, more ropes got dropped throughout the day. Ended up hiking more than actually riding lifts. Hiked over to North Star a few times to get some knee deep laps in, and catch a cat track on the way out back to the gondola. They got 9 inches of snow earlier in the week and id say another 9-10 up at the top of the hill with about 6 at the base. Best opening weekend I've ever done at Killington. I'm not really sure what the forecast looks like but as long as it's stays cold they are trying to open up as much as quickly as possible.

Took 10 hours to get there from Montgomery County. Roads were absolute shit, trees down across 287 and 87.

As for the hill. Typical North Ridge terrain open, more ropes got dropped throughout the day. Ended up hiking more than actually riding lifts. Hiked over to North Star a few times to get some knee deep laps in, and catch a cat track on the way out back to the gondola. They got 9 inches of snow earlier in the week and id say another 9-10 up at the top of the hill with about 6 at the base. Best opening weekend I've ever done at Killington. I'm not really sure what the forecast looks like but as long as it's stays cold they are trying to open up as much as quickly as possible.

how hard were the blue squares?

I am just learning stem-christies. Do you think I will be alright?

Edited by jordan

how hard were the blue squares?

I am just learning stem-christies. Do you think I will be alright?

YOU'LL BE DEAD !!!!!

Did you ever see the ass puckering steeps of mouse trap ?

Can you imagine the fear that will invade your consciousness as you muster up all your courage to peer over the edge of the gnar that

is Bunny Buster ?

The Snowdon poma will rip your gonads from your body and add them to the ever growing pile of testicles stolen by its mechanical maw. Such peril, such danger...I weep for the good souls lost to such a mighty lift......

Killington is the BEAST OF THE EAST!!!!!!

Seriously, I heard they ripped out the North Ridge chair....super sad, everyone knew it was coming but that may have been the greatest chair in NA if you award points for jocularity and retard design.....

YOU'LL BE DEAD !!!!!

Did you ever see the ass puckering steeps of mouse trap ?

Can you imagine the fear that will invade your consciousness as you muster up all your courage to peer over the edge of the gnar that

is Bunny Buster ?

The Snowdon poma will rip your gonads from your body and add them to the ever growing pile of testicles stolen by its mechanical maw. Such peril, such danger...I weep for the good souls lost to such a mighty lift......

Killington is the BEAST OF THE EAST!!!!!!

Seriously, I heard they ripped out the North Ridge chair....super sad, everyone knew it was coming but that may have been the greatest chair in NA if you award points for jocularity and retard design.....

Not to bicker over petty things, but they ripped out the SRT. The NRT is the current lift running on the open terrain.

Ahh good catch....regardless it was a glorious chair and perhaps the only one in NA with two left turns on two bull wheels

I always go to K-Mart on weekdays, so I never saw it running or had a chance to ride it... I heard it was awesomely something lol

I always go to K-Mart on weekdays, so I never saw it running or had a chance to ride it... I heard it was awesomely something lol

i'm almost always at killy on weekends, have been going to the place for almost 20 years, at least one trip per year, and have ridden it once. they NEVER ran that chair, like ever. but yeah, it was awesome. and only dumber than the sunrise chair, that goes up, then down, then up again.

I heard it was due to some kind of fuck up in the planning stage, apparently they were planning some kind of mid station and then realized it wasn't going to work or it was against the law or something crazy so they had to put in the double turn. Additionally there was some kind of trail/wind issue so the return line was like 9 miles from the haul portion. It also had two piece lift towers which is a big no no in the freeze/thaw VT.

Generally you aren't supposed to ride a chair around the bull wheel on a fixed grip because the hanger actually releases so to speak so the added weight can unseat the chair. As far as I know there was no other lift like it in NA. The turns were actually kind of awesome because they were so violent...I only saw someone get tossed once though which was kind of disappointing.....

EDIT: Found a great thread about the lift, I was only kind of accurate LOL - http://www.skilifts.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9049

Edited by Johnny Law