I know how this will turn out but whatever....

phillycore

Where should I go on a trip out west this season?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I go on a trip out west this season??

• Jackson Hole January 21-28
    • Tahoe January 21-27
    • Utah in March

haven't skied deer valley, so i can't comment, but my parents told me that when they went there, had we gone with them, we would have had fresh tracks all day because people tend to stick to the groomers there, and there's actually some decent terrain up near the peak. park city's always been fun whenever i've been there, but it does get tracked quick. for the apres scene though, no where else in utah is gonna beat park city in that respect, except maybe the salomon center.

Perfectly agree with your assessment of Park City.

One of the pros of Aspen/Snowmass over Jackson. It's the difference between tracked out by 10am, or 3pm.

I am a fanboy of Aspen/Snowmass. There is just so much to like - 4 mountains - all 4 mountains ski differently - The town - Food/dining choices...etc.

Never been to Whistler or Tahoe area - those areas look to be a lot fun as well. So exciting to be able to choose so many great areas. The journey is the reward - JADIP!

I am a fanboy of Aspen/Snowmass. There is just so much to like - 4 mountains - all 4 mountains ski differently - The town - Food/dining choices...etc.

Never been to Whistler or Tahoe area - those areas look to be a lot fun as well. So exciting to be able to choose so many great areas. The journey is the reward - JADIP!

Good Morning!

Good Morning!

To anybody that cares. I decided against getting a Blue Mountain season pass this year. Will just go when I please. I hate feeling like I have to go. Just checked my stats from last year and I only showed up to Blue 11 times.

My records show 13...you need to ski more...not less.

What formula did you use to get to that number?

Because he won't go on weekends anymore...and then he'll be too busy during the week. When you have to pay for each visit you're less likely to go. With a season pass...it's easy to go for a few runs, if you're not feeling it...leave. So, you feel forced to cherry pick perfect days, when in reality, some days turn out great that you don't expect to.

Because he won't go on weekends anymore...and then he'll be too busy during the week. When you have to pay for each visit you're less likely to go. With a season pass...it's easy to go for a few runs, if you're not feeling it...leave. So, you feel forced to cherry pick perfect days, when in reality, some days turn out great that you don't expect to.

Yeah, I get all that... I was just wondering how he pulled the number 3 out of mid air...

I will still go to Blue. Maybe just once during the weekends. If I went a Saturday or Sunday for 10 weekends this year I think that is pretty good. (and the BMDI)

If I want to ski during the week I have the freedom to choose where I want to go. Season Pass makes me feel like I am forced to go to one place. Kind of like school...lol

So anyways...

PhillyCore hows the decision process going? Are you going to choose based on the results of the poll :yes

I pulled the number 3 because I know Jay well.

Just to be an ass. I will beat that number during Blue's opening week just to prove you wrong. After that all bets are off. lol

Phillycore would be dumb to go based on the poll as mostly poor or cheap Jibhonks voted..rack it.

Jackson Hole is only 6 votes off. With some proper marketing maybe you can encourage some more votes for your beloved resort area.

Getting GSS twice a weekend takes a toll on the aging process. Have to limit to once a weekend.

• Like 1

Bad sign, NZ. The first year my husband didn't buy a pass was the beginning of the end. There were two odd years in the 20 since then that he did buy passes, but got injured on BOTH opening days. Now he hasn't been out in years because of the fact that there has to be a "first" day.

Does Moeghoul have a season pass anywhere? I think Moe follows the snow. Maybe I will do a little bit of that this year.

I love skiing - I do not love Blue Mountain. It's that easy.

Well said... It's a necessary evil in PA to have a season pass if you don't have much dough... That being said, Moe said he won't have an sp this year because he is buying a house lol

Does Moeghoul have a season pass anywhere? I think Moe follows the snow. Maybe I will do a little bit of that this year.

I love skiing - I do not love Blue Mountain. It's that easy.

I'm planning to chase some better snow conditions this season. I've bought 8 Ski-VT tickets and a Hunter Big Lift card since they are both great deals.

• Like 1

As someone that lives close to and really enjoys the Tahoe area, I would still say if you haven't done Utah yet then you should definitely choose that over the other two, but as others have said, you just need to be more creative on the domestic side and allow yourself 2 trips. If you liked Squaw (and who doesn't) then you will be very happy at Snowbird, for me the attraction of PC and The Canyons is really limited, but Powder and Snowbasin were both great. It's been 2 seasons since I've been to Utah (since I moved out here) but I could see a trip this year happening.

I've never been to JH, it sounds great but it's never seemed great enough for a 1 resort vacation. I prefer to be somewhere I can ski a different resort each day. That said, I think I will be at Mammoth for a few days pretty soon.

I'm planning to chase some better snow conditions this season. I've bought 8 Ski-VT tickets and a Hunter Big Lift card since they are both great deals.

Nice! Blue has never marketed a pass like the Camelback camel card or Hunter big lift card. With the attendance they have had the last several years maybe they do not think they need to.

Maybe I will be carpooling with Root following the flakes :cheers:

Meet somewhere exotic - like along root78

• Like 1

Does Camelback still do the Camelcard discounts, or are they Just the 3 for $99 deal? I can't remember if that's called something else... I find it pretty money conscious to get a discount card if they offer them. I get the Ride and Ski New England one since it offers a bunch of mountains, and the free lift ticket usually covers the $29 cost...

Nice! Blue has never marketed a pass like the Camelback camel card or Hunter big lift card. With the attendance they have had the last several years maybe they do not think they need to.

Maybe I will be carpooling with Root following the flakes :cheers:

Meet somewhere exotic - like along root78

Actually, Blue used to have the Blue Blizzard card, which didn't have any free lift tickets attached to it, but was a reasonable option for discounted tickets on the weekends.

I still don't have a clue what I want to do, but I am leaning towards going with everyone to JH. although I might kill myself having to listen to Doug preach about Blue mountain for a week.

I usually love the whole logistics thing of figuring out where to go, what's the best deal, etc.. but I'm just not into it right now for some reason. JH makes it easy through central reservations and since it's one of those it is what it is type of places when it comes to pricing, I don't need to research the shit out of it to make sure I'm getting the best deal possible...lol

I'm sure I could wait it out and find some uber cheap deal in Colorado or something, but I just don't feel like going back there yet again. I haven't been back to Jackson since I was there in 06' and it has stood near the top even compared to everywhere I've been in the past 5 years.

I REALLY want to get to Utah and ski snowbird/alta and maybe toss somewhere else into the mix and I really don't need any nightlife as I'm really only there to ski, grab some shirts,patches, eat some good food, and be on my way. OK, well obviously I can't make a decision to save my life and even my wife is getting annoyed with me at this point.. "WTF, John just pick a damn place how hard is it?"

So far it's looks like me atomic Jeff Johnny style and possibly phillycore for Jackson hole. Johnny law??? Root? NazarethJay??? Kyle??? Sexkitten?? Chippy?

You should probably start a jh trip thread with dates, etc to see who all is considering it. I don't think a lot of those mentioned have even been in this thread, so it's probably not going to get the attention needed. Just saying...