I know how this will turn out but whatever....

phillycore

Where should I go on a trip out west this season?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I go on a trip out west this season??

• Jackson Hole January 21-28
    • Tahoe January 21-27
    • Utah in March

family, the fly paper of life that keeps you from your dreams

That's such a cop out for the vast majority of parents, I'm not saying you personally I don't know you well enough and you seem to get out alot but for most people its an excuse to sit around and be lazy. It certainly gets more difficult but if you really want to do shit you'll find/make time.

I have a 2 year old, commute 100 miles to work and ski 60-70 days a year and play hockey 3-4 times a week.

• Like 2

And mine started skiing when she was three. I'd ski in the AM and the hubby would come with her in the PM (because he wanted to sleep late, not because I was refusing to let him go.) The fact that he was less interested in skiing than I was actually worked out.

PoconoOceanCity you should come out to Jackson Hole...you ever been?

Never been...I get twentysomething days a year in the Pokes now with my girls now 6, 3 and 1. I have a long weeked booked to Jay this winter without the girls. As they get older I will get out more with or with out them. I agree with Johnny, you have to keep doing the things you love even if you cut back a little or before you know it 10 years will go by and you will never do it again. I just got in from a hour long ride on the quad with all 3 girls. I like bringing them and hopefully as they progress at skiing we will all be able to take trips out west every year by 2015 when they are 5, 7 and 10. It's a challenge to get them on the slopes 20 plus days a year living down here, but I did it three years in a row and were booked for year number four, starting the day after xmas.

In all honesty, I thought Jackson would win on here. I have access to free lodging in Tahoe and I have skied out west several times with those guys. I do want to ski Jackson again, terrain wise it's the tits. Squaw is the only place I've been that competes. I also would like to ski with Jeff, Doug, JS and the crew out west. I don't get the chance to ski with those guys like I used to and we always had a good time. I also want to ski Utah since it is one of the few remaining places on my list to hit. If I waited until March I could ski out west with 2 really good friends of mine. It's honestly a tough call and financially always tough. Luckily my wife understands my passion and helps make it happen.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Jackson didn't win...yet. However, in all fairness, you named a SPECIFIC area when you named Jackson, rather than a WHOLE STATE when you said Utah. I'm sure if it was individual ski areas or even canyons in Utah, the results would have been more widely dispersed.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Jackson didn't win...yet. However, in all fairness, you named a SPECIFIC area when you named Jackson, rather than a WHOLE STATE when you said Utah. I'm sure if it was individual ski areas or even canyons in Utah, the results would have been more widely dispersed.

Well, in all fairness, the time it takes to take the shuttle from Jackson -> Teton Village, you can be at several mountains, depending on were you stay, in SLC. So, it's a fair comparison in terms of trip destinations. When you goto Jackson, you ski at Jackson Hole (maybe a day at Targhee).

Now that my friend no longer lives in SLC, it's not as user friendly for me. I hate having a rental car. It adds complication to the trip (parking at the mountain, etc), and additional cost. And yes, Jackson Hole airfare is on the higher side, but airfare in general is rising (yes, even Southwest). I checked the first two Saturday-Saturday's in March for PHL-*-SLC flights, and the cheapest was DL at $354. Southwest's cheapest was $650. I found a Wed-Wed on Southwest for $381. My Jackson airfare is $508. The rental car offsets that cost difference quickly. Our rooms at the 49er are $73/night. 6 day lift ticket is $440. Even if one skied PowMow every day, the lift tickets are $60/day, so a total cost savings of $80. I really don't see how "Jackson is expensive as hell". Maybe I'm missing something? I see maybe a $200 difference between airfare and lift tickets? Add in rental car and gas... :glare:

Airfare here, first Wed-Wed: $629

No rental car needed

LIfts, breakfast and lodging, Hibernation House, 6 days, $474

Tickets separate from lodging package: $302 if frequent skier card purchased now

Best Western: $438

Total without meals: $1103 - 1369

But, are you saying a rental car is needed for Utah? Siblet and I were there for 10 days, skied Deer Valley, Park City, The Canyons, Snowbird, Alta. Never rented a car, used buses to get around. That had some sort of cost, but I believe it was cheaper than a rental car and ended the parking problem.

Well, in all fairness, the time it takes to take the shuttle from Jackson -> Teton Village, you can be at several mountains, depending on were you stay, in SLC. So, it's a fair comparison in terms of trip destinations. When you goto Jackson, you ski at Jackson Hole (maybe a day at Targhee).

Now that my friend no longer lives in SLC, it's not as user friendly for me. I hate having a rental car. It adds complication to the trip (parking at the mountain, etc), and additional cost. And yes, Jackson Hole airfare is on the higher side, but airfare in general is rising (yes, even Southwest). I checked the first two Saturday-Saturday's in March for PHL-*-SLC flights, and the cheapest was DL at $354. Southwest's cheapest was $650. I found a Wed-Wed on Southwest for $381. My Jackson airfare is $508. The rental car offsets that cost difference quickly. Our rooms at the 49er are $73/night. 6 day lift ticket is $440. Even if one skied PowMow every day, the lift tickets are $60/day, so a total cost savings of $80. I really don't see how "Jackson is expensive as hell". Maybe I'm missing something? I see maybe a $200 difference between airfare and lift tickets? Add in rental car and gas... :glare:

did utah last year for under $800. airfare, lift tickets, rental car, condo, food, beer, gas, etc... that's just tough to beat. not knockin jackson, i love it there. not trying to make this a competition, jeff. just trying to make it realistic for phillycore since he most likely wants to get bang for the buck.

and 6 days of skiing. 3 at powder, 2 at snowbasin, 1 at snowbird.

Montana is on the list, so is whistler, just not this season

whistler is baller. trying to do that again this spring.

Edited by toast21602

did utah last year for under $800. airfare, lift tickets, rental car, condo, food, beer, gas, etc... that's just tough to beat. not knockin jackson, i love it there. not trying to make this a competition, jeff. just trying to make it realistic for phillycore since he most likely wants to get bang for the buck.

I was trying to word that as to not make it a compeition. Last year was last year. In past years, I'd say the biggest cost differnece was airfare, as you could fly to SLC for $200ish. Planes are full, airfare is up. It's also not apples to apples when you compare a two person trip vs a 5 or 6 person trip. Obviously the cost of a condo and rental becomes insignificant when it's divided by 6. It's a significant cost when it's divided by 2.

If Phillycore and Smartass went to Jackson or Utah together, my guess is the spend would be similar. I'm not arguging Jackson is better, I just like people to realize it's not as expensive as it's made out to seem. Notice how I'm not defending Aspen, as lodging is astronomical. I can't sugarcoat it any way...you can't do a cheap Aspen trip.

If I were to go to Utah, I'd lean more towards Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, and Brighton than anything else...

Tahoe would be Squaw, Kirkwood, Alpine Meadows, and Heavenly

Jackson Hole would be only Jackson Hole.

Maybe I should just go ski Taos since noone seems to go there....(also on my list but not near the top)

PhillyCore: I am not afraid to admit I really enjoyed the Park City area ski resorts. I visited the area twice and skied Deer Valley and Park City Mountain Resort. I did make a day trip to Alta which was a nice change of scenery. Wherever you go I'm sure you will have a great time and will include an epic trip report :-)

• Like 4

PhillyCore: I am not afraid to admit I really enjoyed the Park City area ski resorts. I visited the area twice and skied Deer Valley and Park City Mountain Resort. I did make a day trip to Alta which was a nice change of scenery. Wherever you go I'm sure you will have a great time and will include an epic trip report :-)

haven't skied deer valley, so i can't comment, but my parents told me that when they went there, had we gone with them, we would have had fresh tracks all day because people tend to stick to the groomers there, and there's actually some decent terrain up near the peak. park city's always been fun whenever i've been there, but it does get tracked quick. for the apres scene though, no where else in utah is gonna beat park city in that respect, except maybe the salomon center.

• Like 2

haven't skied deer valley, so i can't comment, but my parents told me that when they went there, had we gone with them, we would have had fresh tracks all day because people tend to stick to the groomers there, and there's actually some decent terrain up near the peak. park city's always been fun whenever i've been there, but it does get tracked quick. for the apres scene though, no where else in utah is gonna beat park city in that respect, except maybe the salomon center.

One of the pros of Aspen/Snowmass over Jackson. It's the difference between tracked out by 10am, or 3pm.