CB Sold

skidude

Hey, watch it, Bob's one of my buddies.  Did anyone mention he has a rental at Northridge and a longstanding relationship with Sam/CB? 

Hey, '999, how often do you see takeovers where the new management doesn't immediately reassure all employees that no lay offs are in order?  Just curious, do you think this type of statement has any basis in reality? ...Probably just my slated, inner city view of business...

27622[/snapback]

Sorry, 'Mom, but it's a little like saying Philadelphia didn't exist until Tasty Cakes opened in 1914.

How often are there takovers where new management doesn't immediately reassure employees that no layoffs are coming? It's usually the first issue addressed, isn't it? When Montage was recently listed, the County Commissioners were requiring that any new owner guarantee they would keep all the current employees. I think that's absurd...why would a new owner want to keep the snowmaker that was late for work 50 times and written up five times for starting fights? Or a cafeteria worker that has been suspended twice for having $200 missing from her drawer? The hardest thing to do is get reliable seasonal employees, so employers have motivation to reassure workers and not have them start looking elsewhere.

But Bob should know this about the Poconos:

The first boarding house hotel was built in 1829 by Anthon Dutot in the Delaware Water Gap. By 1857, the hotel became the center of a flourishing resort industry. The Monroe County Publicity Bureau (an early forerunner to the Pocono Mountains Vacation Bureau) began encouraging vacationers to "Pennsylvania?s Playground" in 1927. In the upper regions of the Poconos, Pennsylvania?s Power and light company began the construction of what is now the third largest man-made lake in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Lake Wallenpaupack. In 1926, PP&L dammed the creek and built a hydro-electric plant and in doing so, a 5,600-acre lake was created with 52 miles of uninterrupted shoreline.

During World War II, many GI?s often took their leaves with their girlfriends and families in the Poconos right before they went overseas. The Poconos then took on a romantic appeal for these young people, many of whom returned after the war as honeymooners. It was the 1940?s when the Pocono Mountains began its climb to becoming the Honeymoon Capital of the World.

In 1945, Rudolf Von Hoevenberg opened a rustic operation consisting of some cabins and a main lodge, called The Farm on the Hill, the first honeymoon resort of the Pocono Mountains. Plush resorts for honeymooners in the 1940?s and 1950?s spurred the growth of a flourishing resort business in the Pocono Mountains.

The four-season appeal of the Pocono Mountains was enhanced with the opening of the first commercial ski area in Pennsylvania, Big Boulder :o , in 1946. In 1950, the first patent application for the making of snow by blowing water through a nozzle was filed, and by the winter of 1956, the system was perfected and in place at Big Boulder Ski Area. This first helped to establish the Pocono Mountains as a ski destination. :rock

Beginning in the late 1950?s and continuing into the late 1960?s, Interstate 80 and 81 were constructed in the Poconos? four county regions. The opening of these major interstate highways made the Pocono Mountains easily accessible by motor vehicles, thus the Poconos became an even more popular all-season destination. <_<

In 1963, the first heart-shaped tub was introduced at Cove Haven in Lakeville, PA. :sex Life magazine ran photos of this latest novelty and a flood of publicity followed, resulting in the naming of the Pocono Mountains as the "Honeymoon Capital of the World."

Pocono International Raceway in Long Pond, PA opened its 2 1/2 mile super speedway in 1971 with the first of a series of Indy car races. NASCAR soon followed in 1972 and brings thousands of race fans to the Pocono Mountains today.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all this talk about new management and all these new changes that should happen got me thinkin about my very LAST experience at CB. i dont remember what weekend (friday) it was but it was when all the NY schools had like a week vacation. CB took pretty much two weekends for a holiday because schools in NY had off. I went up not knowing the tickets were on a holiday schedule so i only brought enough for me and my sister (shes 10). i get to the ticket window and find out i only have enough for one person, me or my sister. i very rarely get to ski with my sister so i was pissed. I let her ski by herself and i just watched from the bottom of the hill.

so heres my rhetorical question...

Why would camelback make it a holiday if the schools in PA (where the mountain is and most of its business comes from) take a week long holiday just because schools in NY had off?

it seems to me that CB really is all about money.

and this is not the only time i got screwed over at camelback for no reason.

but i will admit it is somewhat my fault.

still...for a week CB just completely forgot that the holiday they were "celebrating" wasn't even legit. But hey, NY is were the moneys at right? at least for two weekends

Why would camelback make it a holiday if the schools in PA (where the mountain is and most of its business comes from) take a week long holiday just because schools in NY had off?

Because I bet that less than half of the business is PA. You have TWO other states skiing there with a big representation, NY and NJ. The closest major population centers in Pa to CB would be Scranton and Philly. For both of those two cities, there are closer resorts than CB, so the numbers from NJ and NY probably add up to more than the numbers from PA. Heck, there are people skiing there from MD and VA and DC every weekend as well!

CB can tell from its numbers what the big weekends will be without consulting the various school boards.

Because I bet that less than half of the business is PA. You have TWO other states skiing there with a big representation, NY and NJ. The closest major population centers in Pa to CB would be Scranton and Philly. For both of those two cities, there are closer resorts than CB, so the numbers from NJ and NY probably add up to more than the numbers from PA. Heck, there are people skiing there from MD and VA and DC every weekend as well!

i was talking more about that one weekend, the only schools in the tri state are, let alone the east coast that had off were in NY. meaning everyone else that comes from MD, VA, DC, and NJ had to pay holiday prices too.

Because I bet that less than half of the business is PA.  You have TWO other states skiing there with a big representation, NY and NJ.  The closest major population centers in Pa to CB would be Scranton and Philly.  For both of those two cities, there are closer resorts than CB, so the numbers from NJ and NY probably add up to more than the numbers from PA.  Heck, there are people skiing there from MD and VA and DC every weekend as well! 

i was talking more about that one weekend, the only schools in the tri state are, let alone the east coast that had off were in NY. meaning everyone else that comes from MD, VA, DC, and NJ had to pay holiday prices too.

27725[/snapback]

Since I don't know which weekend you're talking about it's hard for me to answer, but I assume you are including colleges, private schools, etc. etc.

If anybody here gets The Morning Call newspaper, look in the business section they have a whole write up on the front page and second page about camelback being sold. It also says in bold at the top "owner says no major improvements for the area"

Here's a thought.. Just what did the new guy buy? The name? The rights to continue operating Camelback Ski Area? I know that North Ridge which is a southern slope is not state land. So who owns that?? I think all of this info on this sale is suspect since it is so vague. Funny now that I think of it - I deal with Real estate attorneys and Sam is doing what he does best.. :lol:

In 1950, a portion of the state land on the steep north slope of the mountain was leased to Big Pocono Skiing, Inc., for commercial ski development. Later named Camelback Ski Corporation, the facility has been developed into a major ski resort. Cameltop, a restaurant located near the summit of Camelback Mountain is operated by Camelback Ski Area and provides refreshment for park visitors

Edited by Papasteeze

As I have said and will continue to say... if camelback would just setup things correctly it would be a whole different ball game. I don't think things need to be super tech, just setup nicely. Jumps with proportional landings would be a nice start. That doesn't take any extra money, and it makes a huge difference in quality. Rails are another story, but I think they were setup a little better this past year, than 2 years ago.

As I have said and will continue to say... if camelback would just setup things correctly it would be a whole different ball game. I don't think things need to be super tech, just setup nicely. Jumps with proportional landings would be a nice start. That doesn't take any extra money, and it makes a huge difference in quality. Rails are another story, but I think they were setup a little better this past year, than 2 years ago.

27761[/snapback]

I agree totally... Set up is everything..

whats up with all the sales of the ski resorts around here. First blue, then CB, i know montage is for sale, and so is tanglwood. i Think that a new generation of resorts are comming to the area. I dont know if its for better or for worse i guess we will jsut have to see next season

CB is a big profit maker, so there's no huge change necessarily coming; Montage and Tanglwood are not, so we just have to be glad they reopen from year to year. Montage had one bad XMas week two years ago and the county went crazy trying to sell. Elk would love it if Montage shut down and they got their Scranton/Wilkes-Barre skiers/riders back.

im just saying i think that all the resorts around are going throguh evalution and all the old owners are selling them so i think in the next 3-4 years they will all have new owners and things will change. Anyone know anythign about elk? that the next one to be sold

whats up with all the sales of the ski resorts around here. First blue, then CB, i know montage is for sale, and so is tanglwood. i Think that a new generation of resorts are comming to the area. I dont know if its for better or for worse i guess we will jsut have to see next season

27782[/snapback]

Hold on there. The only one we know is sold is CB. Blue as near as I can tell, was just a rumor.