easy to use gopro video editing

Barb

So my son is finally using the crap out of his gopro I got him 2 Christmas' ago. Its full and he wants to make some videos. I have never done this so I don't really know where to tell him to start. What's a super easy format I can download?

Thanks

super easy and download aren't really going to go hand in hand...

easy to use: iMovie - comes with every Mac, not available for windows, in my opinion, dumbed down to the point of being difficult to work with if you're a 'literate' computer user

downloadable: pinnacle studio, sony vegas, adobe premiere - none are free, but you can all be easily acquired, if you know where to look and aren't concerned with the legal ramifications, listed in order from easiest to most difficult learning curve, but also fewest to most features

what you probably have access to: windows movie maker - i haven't touched it in probably about 5 years, so it may have come a long way, but when i used it last, it was years behind imovie as far as ease of use and feature set, and it used .avi and .wmv, the bastard children of video formats

iMovie will take raw gopro footage and do what you want with it. that's what toast uses for everything he's posted here. everything i've posted has been done using mpeg streamclip to convert gopro mp4 files into apple ProRes .mov files for use in final cut, then edited in final cut, but i'm a nerd and that's probably way overkill for your use. converting to ProRes allows final cut to do on the fly rendering, so you don't have to preview render every time you add a new clip to your timeline. you don't really need to mess around with final cut or premiere unless you're doing advanced color correct or elaborate transitions or effects to the audio or video.

super easy and download aren't really going to go hand in hand...

easy to use: iMovie - comes with every Mac, not available for windows, in my opinion, dumbed down to the point of being difficult to work with if you're a 'literate' computer user

downloadable: pinnacle studio, sony vegas, adobe premiere - none are free, but you can all be easily acquired, if you know where to look and aren't concerned with the legal ramifications, listed in order from easiest to most difficult learning curve, but also fewest to most features

what you probably have access to: windows movie maker - i haven't touched it in probably about 5 years, so it may have come a long way, but when i used it last, it was years behind imovie as far as ease of use and feature set, and it used .avi and .wmv, the bastard children of video formats

iMovie will take raw gopro footage and do what you want with it. that's what toast uses for everything he's posted here. everything i've posted has been done using mpeg streamclip to convert gopro mp4 files into apple ProRes .mov files for use in final cut, then edited in final cut, but i'm a nerd and that's probably way overkill for your use. converting to ProRes allows final cut to do on the fly rendering, so you don't have to preview render every time you add a new clip to your timeline. you don't really need to mess around with final cut or premiere unless you're doing advanced color correct or elaborate transitions or effects to the audio or video.

this

Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas are very good and they both offer entry level and professional options. You can go with Premiere Elements ($79) or or Vegas Movie Studio ($50) for entry level editing. Or move ito the more pro level editoring packages but they are more expensive. You can download and try almost all of the different version for free to see if you like them.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements.html

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware

Another option would be Lightworks. It is an open source editor. It is a free tool that is very powerful, fully featured, and its easy to use. It has been used to edit many feature films (The Kings Speech, Don't be Afraid of the Dark, etc...).

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Depending on what I'm doing I either use Vegas Pro 11 or Lightworks.

Step 1: Buy a Mac.

Fail.

Cyberlink PowerDirector, it's like 70 bucks and super easy but plenty powerful. Macs suck balls, cost a million dollars, cannot be worked on by anybody but apple for another million bucks. Please don't tell me have fun with my pc virus's either, if you're not retarded and have the correct programs life is good from the time I built it 5 years ago until now. Sans a hardware issue that resulted in an even better video card.

Fail.

Cyberlink PowerDirector, it's like 70 bucks and super easy but plenty powerful. Macs suck balls, cost a million dollars, cannot be worked on by anybody but apple for another million bucks. Please don't tell me have fun with my pc virus's either, if you're not retarded and have the correct programs life is good from the time I built it 5 years ago until now. Sans a hardware issue that resulted in an even better video card.

Hater :)

• Like 2

Fail.

If your gonna bash something, at least present actual facts. Macs don't cost all that more, you may even save money in the long run, and anyone can work on a mac as long as they know how to use a screwdriver.

• Like 2

If your gonna bash something, at least present actual facts. Macs don't cost all that more, you may even save money in the long run, and anyone can work on a mac as long as they know how to use a screwdriver.

They still cost more than a similar spec'd PC ($200 or so more seems to be about the number these days) and working on it yourself will void your warranty. But whatever, both PC and Macs are great, just use what you like. Personally I run a loaded to the tits MBP (thanks work!) and dual boot OSX and Win7. Recently spending more time in Win7 because I'm not a fan a big fan of Lion but still need to use it for work every now and again.

how much is a macbook? my computer has a baller amd processor 4 gigs of ram nvidia 9 series video card and enough memory to have all the raw gopro footage and converted avi files no problem. it cost me 700 to build and i have a 37" monitor also known as my hdtv. So i say again, apple fail haha.

Think about editing on a 37" monitor...

anyone can work on a mac as long as they know how to use a screwdriver.

And my bro is a grafic design major and has to have a macbook pro. it just cost him 125 to replace the battery. Cant get the battery anywhere but apple and cant get the old one out without struggling and possibly breaking the connection. Personal preference, i'll keep my pc. Plus i need cad and solidworks/cosmosworks likes windows.