So I went to Sno today...

rgrwilco

And had a great time. First time back since it was montage.

Pros:

-Snow quality was amazing.

-Park was better then expected.

-North face is so much fun.

-Food was good.

-No crowds.

-Pulled up right at the North face lift.

Cons:

-No crowds

-Amount of snow on the mountain was deceptive. I feel that most of the trails on the top half are way too wide/trees need to be planted. There is full coverage, but when there are vast areas of grass and rock next to a trail, it looks like the area is struggling for coverage. I saw some very small trees marked with red tags (newly planted), but a few large trees should be planted around those areas so it looks like an attempt is being made.

-Only one park. Most places have at least two, with each parking separating itself from the other by way of different features or difficulty. Sno would kill it if they marketed a park area...and had a legit park to back it up. Park was fun, but way below the standards set by most other hills. Still better than Camelsack this year.

-No top to bottom lift midweek blows. Having to take two lifts to get a full run is lame.

thoughts:

Sno has a good mountain to work with. 1000 vert in PA is a blessing, and all of it should be utilized. Top to bottom lift should always be an option. New trails would be nice, as well as narrowing some down

post-935-0-52904200-1327982934_thumb.jpg

^ Thanks for the review. Monday crowds seem to be light...too bad you didn't go up today as it's "$10 Tuesday"..but, at least you came up.

If we could get the crowd numbers up...just need a better Winter...we would run LH..in fact that was our plan actually..during the week.

Trees...yeah...in hindsight we should have kept the trees but, we are planning on addressing that.

I do recall, and now it's been a long time since I skied, that Sno had about the widest trails of any mountain (Actually got carried off Boulder years ago when I lost control on a very narrow trail and had nowhere to go but down and into the trees)

You have to admit, we're making improvements...just keep the reports coming...and thanks!

Whoot! Warm day for a RAW sesh for me. Come on sno regulars and Blue fanboys alike, 10 bucks doesn't even get you a movie! Support the Sno and shred some super sweet gnar on the highest lift accessd peak in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Metropolitan area.

Whoot! Warm day for a RAW sesh for me. Come on sno regulars and Blue fanboys alike, 10 bucks doesn't even get you a movie! Support the Sno and shred some super sweet gnar on the highest lift accessd peak in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Metropolitan area.

Thanks for the support!

I am seriuosly thinking about taking off from work one day to go up to Sno for the deal.

Now that sounds like a good plan to me!

$10 Tuesday is a great deal. I was up there on 24-Jan and it was empty. The only disappointing thing was that they were not running the long haul lift, which actually keeps you from accessing a few of the runs and kills the flow of the mountain. I will definitely had back on a weekend when LH is running. I can say I enjoy Sno more than Blue. If they had a high speed lift, Sno would probably be my first choice in the Poconos.

• Like 1

cdfsafdsafdsfdsafds

I went up on a sunday night not too long ago, The conditions were straight ice. Trails at the top were narrow.

but the worst part of it all is i spent 34 bucks to ride garbage when i could have went on tuesday and spent 10 bucks, that just pissed me off enough that i wont be back for the rest of the season.

$10 Tuesday is a great deal. I was up there on 24-Jan and it was empty. The only disappointing thing was that they were not running the long haul lift, which actually keeps you from accessing a few of the runs and kills the flow of the mountain. I will definitely had back on a weekend when LH is running. I can say I enjoy Sno more than Blue. If they had a high speed lift, Sno would probably be my first choice in the Poconos.

What trails did it prevent you from skiing? If you take the upper mountain lift up, just ski to the left and you are right at the other trails.

cdfsafdsafdsfdsafds

I went up on a sunday night not too long ago, The conditions were straight ice. Trails at the top were narrow.

but the worst part of it all is i spent 34 bucks to ride garbage when i could have went on tuesday and spent 10 bucks, that just pissed me off enough that i wont be back for the rest of the season.

Was it warm out that day? Maybe that's why. I was a season passholder for a few winters and never encountered those conditions. It was probably a fluke.

Was it warm out that day? Maybe that's why. I was a season passholder for a few winters and never encountered those conditions. It was probably a fluke.

Yes it was warm, then as soon as the sun dropped the conditions froze up pretty solid. Pretty much it was skiied off by the time i showed up and purchased a lift ticket.

Would have went for the tuesday deal but i work during the week. Will try this sometime if i can find the time off.

Just doesnt make sense that they charge 30+ bucks for night pass on sunday and they dont regroom everything before sun goes down. but you can go all day tuesday for 10 bucks...

Well then go back Tuesday and spend $10.

Hey grilledsteezetroller,

How was floyds?

Yes it was warm, then as soon as the sun dropped the conditions froze up pretty solid. Pretty much it was skiied off by the time i showed up and purchased a lift ticket.

Would have went for the tuesday deal but i work during the week. Will try this sometime if i can find the time off.

Just doesnt make sense that they charge 30+ bucks for night pass on sunday and they dont regroom everything before sun goes down. but you can go all day tuesday for 10 bucks...

If you can't see the reasoning behind discount pricing on a TUESDAY I don't know what to tell you.

I suppose you think that bars should do happy hour from 11pm-2am on Fridays and Saturday's too?

And just FYI, they have night tickets on Saturday's and Sunday's for $12.50 if you bring 3 other people. Let me know if you find another area mountain with those prices.

ThinkSnow Greg clocked me at over 50mph...

ill smoke you down floyds

If you can't see the reasoning behind discount pricing on a TUESDAY I don't know what to tell you.

I suppose you think that bars should do happy hour from 11pm-2am on Fridays and Saturday's too?

And just FYI, they have night tickets on Saturday's and Sunday's for $12.50 if you bring 3 other people. Let me know if you find another area mountain with those prices.

one of my favorite bars in the wilkesbarre area, Areana bar and grill has happy hour from 5-7 every day and 9-11 on sunday. considering a ski resort isnt a bar... but yeah i think they should have sunday night discounts cuz after a heavy crowd comes in they rape you 30+ bucks to ski there rock solid bullshit.

unless they are making snow then everything is sweet

Edited by Gaperstine

one of my favorite bars in the wilkesbarre area, Areana bar and grill has happy hour from 5-7 every day and 9-11 on sunday.

You are proving my point without realizing it. Bars have happy hours and beer specials during the times where they are trying to draw people in, not during times when they are going to be busy regardless( Friday and Saturday's after 11pm).

Saturdays and Sunday's are ski resorts biggest days, it isn't a wise business decision to discount ticket prices when people are already coming those days.

Sno however is doing discounts on these nights with the 4/$50 night passes. So stop your bitching and moaning about $30 night pass and find 3 other people and come up for $12.50 on Saturday night.

Also if you come up for some night runs in the middle of the season on a warm day you are going to find hard conditions, that's the nature of the game. What are the area mountains that currently do midday grooming? -serious question.

... but yeah i think they should have sunday night discounts cuz after a heavy crowd comes in they rape you 30+ bucks to ski there rock solid bullshit.

You do realize is what not icy because of heavy crowds, the mountain has western and southern exposure. It gets sun all day long. When it is warm all day it will melt and freeze at night. Sno doesn't get crowded. I went up for the first time this year two Saturdays ago and is just like I remember it, fast runs, slow lifts, and no lift lines.

Also ski during the day, night skiing is for kids in high school.

Edited by Sno Mountain Skier

Since when has 30 bucks for skiing been over the top?

Also this... That's $5 an hour for entertainment. You can't even go bowling or play pool for that price and look at the operating expenses of a ski resort compared to that of a bowling alley.

Damn I wish going to the bar only cost me $5 an hour..

• Like 1

Wow....it's nice to see you guys supports us and all we are trying to do here in what is without a doubt the worst season ...ever, at least that I have seen.

I know it's kind of a drag not having LH run, but I think I mentioned back on the first page it was our intention to run it, but let's face it....we just need more people, period...and this is not just a Sno issue. Was reading the article in the WB Times Leader today...everyone's numbers are down....way down. People just don't want to ski. I was on the mountain last night and in between Switch & Whistler the ground was completely unfrozen and soft..not wet..just fall like soft. This being the first week of February. Sad.

But...that is no ones fault...we're just going to continue doing what we can to keep things the best we can, and so far we've been doing quite well despite the odds. The deals are in place and we will keep them in place the rest of the season...hopefully we will get bombed at least once in February.

• Like 2

Sno has done an incredible job of keeping the condition great this year considering the weather Yea it may ice up at night a little after a warm day I have been to sno every sat this year except for last week and have had a great time everytime. I cant think of a resort that regrooms for the night sesion If they did people would complaiun that the trail was closed.

Can't wait to go tomorrow 12 -10 do some NASTAR hit up the steepest trails around have some good food $10 pasta bar some resonably priced beers and try to keep up with the kid in the terain park

Probably not the time to mention this, but whats with all the open areas on the far side? Looks like it could possibly be some nice glades on a good year.

ScreenShot2012-02-03at72949PM.png

Btw, strong possibility sno will be my home mountain next year, especially if some legit upgrades to the hill are announced.

In the mid-90s, I remember some hype about an expansion to follow the North Face one, I think it was called the Ledges. I've always assumed it was that area to the northeast. Down below, it gets really steep, so I'm not sure whether it could have been top to bottom.

Sno has done an incredible job of keeping the condition great this year considering the weather Yea it may ice up at night a little after a warm day I have been to sno every sat this year except for last week and have had a great time everytime. I cant think of a resort that regrooms for the night sesion If they did people would complaiun that the trail was closed.

Can't wait to go tomorrow 12 -10 do some NASTAR hit up the steepest trails around have some good food $10 pasta bar some resonably priced beers and try to keep up with the kid in the terain park

Hit me up...I'l have the camera on....usually do NASTAR at noon and terrain park at 1.

In the mid-90s, I remember some hype about an expansion to follow the North Face one, I think it was called the Ledges. I've always assumed it was that area to the northeast. Down below, it gets really steep, so I'm not sure whether it could have been top to bottom.

This is unofficial...just me remembering the same hype....I recall something said from the Glades down the North side of the mountain and rounding down to where Long Haul loads. I Mt Bike the "Ore Mine Road" on the opposite side of the creek from Phebe a lot and I have been thru the trails on that side of the mountain and yeah...very steep in places and would make for some excellent trails...me being a single track guy would like to see the winding tighter trails...that would be real nice.

That area off to the side is some of the most fun tree skiing in pa when we get a lot of snow. You can duck into the woods at the top by long haul and stay in there almost the whole way down. Make a wrong turn or go too far away from the trail and its unreal, but also expect to hike out. Oh, and watch out for porcupines, they're everywhere in there.