Blivers

what i'd like to see is for bc to open up the mtn gradually, building a massive base, instead of trying to get 99% open. i know that last season was warm, but i think that had they built a thicker base the conditions would have been way better and they could have stayed open a couple of weeks longer.

I think with the weather last year it really wouldn't have mattered.

sure it would....bare spots were developing in mid feb. blue had a much thicker base and there weren't near as many bare spots.

Even in spots where the base was thicker it was melting from underneath and caving in. They might have gotten another couple of days or a week, but at that time it was like 70 degrees out and rained for like week straight and no one was going to the mountain anyway.

BC can't control the weather.

Sure enough. But they need to make the most out of what they get and from what I understand, management shits on the snowmakers and groomers to the point where they cut their teeth at BC then move on to bigger and better places. Last years debacle of trying to open the entire mountain at once was a flat out dumb mistake. Inexcuseable actually. Blue retains a solid base because they really blow their snow fat on water, creating more ice than good snow. Cant tell you the last time i actually skied Blue that i wasn't thankful for sharp edges. At least BC, when conditions are favorable, has nice snow for the most part.

Sure enough. But they need to make the most out of what they get and from what I understand, management shits on the snowmakers and groomers to the point where they cut their teeth at BC then move on to bigger and better places. Last years debacle of trying to open the entire mountain at once was a flat out dumb mistake. Inexcuseable actually. Blue retains a solid base because they really blow their snow fat on water, creating more ice than good snow. Cant tell you the last time i actually skied Blue that i wasn't thankful for sharp edges. At least BC, when conditions are favorable, has nice snow for the most part.

I'm not sure if I would call it nice. It's really hit or miss with bear. That goes back to the weather debacle. Any mountain is going to blow mediocre snow if all the variables aren't in place. There have been plenty of times that I've been to bear when they've blown nice snow but there's also been a handful of times that its been shit. Same can be said about blue. There's just too much going on for snow makers to blow consistent snow everyday, at least in Pennsylvania.

Also, it seemed like bear got the stickiness of the snow situation from 10/11 cleared up last year. Finally figured out a way to filter the salt out?

Great show my favorite episode is where Dudley got molested.

I wanted to post that too but it had no bigger message for the thread, except don't get molested.

I had a season pass at Bear for years, its a good little mtn. Everyone there tries to do the absolute best they can do, sometimes mother nature fucks them in the ass sometimes she doesn't.

Whatever its PA......the biggest bull shiter is Elk, its like VT but in PA !!!! Except its nothing like VT, buddies running knee deep blower off Madona at Smuggs on Sunday, meanwhile at Elk its disco dirt and marketing.

• Like 2

I wanted to post that too but it had no bigger message for the thread, except don't get molested.

I had a season pass at Bear for years, its a good little mtn. Everyone there tries to do the absolute best they can do, sometimes mother nature fucks them in the ass sometimes she doesn't.

we get the season pass for mainly mid-week skiing. we like it for what it is.....and the lodge freakin' rocks there.

Whatever its PA......the biggest bull shiter is Elk, its like VT but in PA !!!! Except its nothing like VT, buddies running knee deep blower off Madona at Smuggs on Sunday, meanwhile at Elk its disco dirt and marketing.

totally....good mtn but def pumped up marketing, lol!

I assume you guys know that the machines BC and others have a fairly smart inthat they can adjust themselves on the fly as conditions improve or degrade, ultimately making the best snow possible for said conditions. It's hard to blame the snowmakers entirely, but if management is giving them dumb directions, well....

Because I'm a prick towards most managers and owners of Pa ski areas, I won't give Elk any props either. However, having skied nearly every ski area east of the big river last year, Elk by far had the most stellar conditions, including Killington. I know i know, they are in a different climate compared to other pa resorts, but many of their snowmakers and groomers are lifers there and that goes a long way to understanding the mountain and its quirks. Back to BC, this will be an on going issue with them unless they take better care of the people who make the snow and keep it nice.

However, having skied nearly every ski area east of the big river last year, Elk by far had the most stellar conditions, including Killington. I know i know, they are in a different climate compared to other pa resorts, but many of their snowmakers and groomers are lifers there and that goes a long way to understanding the mountain and its quirks.

That's like saying all two dollar hookers are the best dick suckers because one time a crack whore who really needed crack rocked your fucking world. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

How often does it dump 2ft on Elk ?

Once in a blue moon right, now it doesn't dump a ft on Stowe as much as say Utah but it does snow a hell of alot more in the NEK than it does at Elk mtn. That's a fucking fact end of story, elk is a decent hill in NE PA, it ain't even the best hill in PA and maybe every once in a blue moon the stars align and the best snow is at Elk but that's a fucking long shot and it still doesn't change the fact that its 1000vert of 20 degree low angle straight down the fall line with slow ass doubles.

I've skied Elk a bunch and will never understand the knob slobbering it gets. Its ok for NE PA but there are far better places to ski the next state up which isn't that far from Elk. They have bigger hills with much better terrain and alot better chances for real actual legitimate snow fall. Shit little Middlebury Snow bowl or Suicide Six has 1000x more pow days than Elk fucking Mtn and people can actually shut up about how cool Suicide Six is. LOL

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1

And i thought i was pissed off! Hey Chump, stay on topic, we were discussing local weather and snowmaking, and BC's opening possibilites, not what the hell is happening half way across the country. And because no pa resort has been hit with a 2 foot dump, thats why snowmaking and grooming count around here.

That's like saying all two dollar hookers are the best dick suckers because one time a crack whore who really needed crack rocked your fucking world. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

How often does it dump 2ft on Elk ?

Once in a blue moon right, now it doesn't dump a ft on Stowe as much as say Utah but it does snow a hell of alot more in the NEK than it does at Elk mtn. That's a fucking fact end of story, elk is a decent hill in NE PA, it ain't even the best hill in PA and maybe every once in a blue moon the stars align and the best snow is at Elk but that's a fucking long shot and it still doesn't change the fact that its 1000vert of 20 degree low angle straight down the fall line with slow ass doubles.

I've skied Elk a bunch and will never understand the knob slobbering it gets. Its ok for NE PA but there are far better places to ski the next state up which isn't that far from Elk. They have bigger hills with much better terrain and alot better chances for real actual legitimate snow fall. Shit little Middlebury Snow bowl or Suicide Six has 1000x more pow days than Elk fucking Mtn and people can actually shut up about how cool Suicide Six is. LOL

And i thought i was pissed off! Hey Chump, stay on topic, we were discussing local weather and snowmaking, and BC's opening possibilites, not what the hell is happening half way across the country. And because no pa resort has been hit with a 2 foot dump, thats why snowmaking and grooming count around here.

Hahahahah

Did you know ?

In 1924 the first pet insurance policy is written for a dog in Sweden. About 50% of pets are now insured in Sweden.

In 1982 the first pet insurance policy is sold in the US to protect TV’s heroic dog Lassie.

People aren’t allergic to cat fur. They are allergic to cat dander (shedding skin cells) and saliva.

Raisins, grapes, onions, alcohol, salt, tea are all toxic to your kitty. keep it away!

The male cat usually reaches sexual maturity between 9 and 12 months. A heat period lasts about 4 to 7 days if the female is bred; if not, the heat period lasts longer and recurs at regular intervals. If a cat is frightened, put your hand over its eyes and forehead, or let him bury his head in your armpit to help calm him A cat will tremble or shiver when it is in extreme pain. Neutering a male cat will, in almost all cases, stop him from spraying, fighting with other males, lengthen his life and improve its quality.

1. Every year, nearly four million cats are eaten in Asia.h
  2. On average, cats spend 2/3 of every day sleeping. That means a nine-year-old cat has been awake for only three years of its life.i
  3. Unlike dogs, cats do not have a sweet tooth. Scientists believe this is due to a mutation in a key taste receptor.d
  4. When a cat chases its prey, it keeps its head level. Dogs and humans bob their heads up and down.i
  5. The technical term for a cat’s hairball is a “bezoar.”f
  6. A group of cats is called a “clowder.”g
  7. Female cats tend to be right pawed, while male cats are more often left pawed. Interestingly, while 90% of humans are right handed, the remaining 10% of lefties also tend to be male.l wn a tree because its claws are cur the wrong way
  8. A cat can’t climb head first down a tree because every claw on a cat’s paw points the same way. To get down from a tree, a cat must back down.i
  9. Cats make about 100 different sounds. Dogs make only about 10.i
  10. A cat’s brain is biologically more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s. Both humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions.i
  11. There are more than 500 million domestic cats in the world, with approximately 40 recognized breeds.k
  12. Approximately 24 cat skins can make a coat.e
  13. While it is commonly thought that the ancient Egyptians were the first to domesticate cats, the oldest known pet cat was recently found in a 9,500-year-old grave on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. This grave predates early Egyptian art depicting cats by 4,000 years or more.g
  14. During the time of the Spanish Inquisition, Pope Innocent VIII condemned cats as evil and thousands of cats were burned. Unfortunately, the widespread killing of cats led to an explosion of the rat population, which exacerbated the effects of the Black Death.g
  • Like 5

Hahahahah

Did you know ?

In 1924 the first pet insurance policy is written for a dog in Sweden. About 50% of pets are now insured in Sweden.

In 1982 the first pet insurance policy is sold in the US to protect TV’s heroic dog Lassie.

People aren’t allergic to cat fur. They are allergic to cat dander (shedding skin cells) and saliva.

Raisins, grapes, onions, alcohol, salt, tea are all toxic to your kitty. keep it away!

The male cat usually reaches sexual maturity between 9 and 12 months. A heat period lasts about 4 to 7 days if the female is bred; if not, the heat period lasts longer and recurs at regular intervals. If a cat is frightened, put your hand over its eyes and forehead, or let him bury his head in your armpit to help calm him A cat will tremble or shiver when it is in extreme pain. Neutering a male cat will, in almost all cases, stop him from spraying, fighting with other males, lengthen his life and improve its quality.

1. Every year, nearly four million cats are eaten in Asia.h
  2. On average, cats spend 2/3 of every day sleeping. That means a nine-year-old cat has been awake for only three years of its life.i
  3. Unlike dogs, cats do not have a sweet tooth. Scientists believe this is due to a mutation in a key taste receptor.d
  4. When a cat chases its prey, it keeps its head level. Dogs and humans bob their heads up and down.i
  5. The technical term for a cat’s hairball is a “bezoar.”f
  6. A group of cats is called a “clowder.”g
  7. Female cats tend to be right pawed, while male cats are more often left pawed. Interestingly, while 90% of humans are right handed, the remaining 10% of lefties also tend to be male.l wn a tree because its claws are cur the wrong way
  8. A cat can’t climb head first down a tree because every claw on a cat’s paw points the same way. To get down from a tree, a cat must back down.i
  9. Cats make about 100 different sounds. Dogs make only about 10.i
  10. A cat’s brain is biologically more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s. Both humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions.i
  11. There are more than 500 million domestic cats in the world, with approximately 40 recognized breeds.k
  12. Approximately 24 cat skins can make a coat.e
  13. While it is commonly thought that the ancient Egyptians were the first to domesticate cats, the oldest known pet cat was recently found in a 9,500-year-old grave on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. This grave predates early Egyptian art depicting cats by 4,000 years or more.g
  14. During the time of the Spanish Inquisition, Pope Innocent VIII condemned cats as evil and thousands of cats were burned. Unfortunately, the widespread killing of cats led to an explosion of the rat population, which exacerbated the effects of the Black Death.g

Thats one big ass snapple fact.

I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess at something like december 20th opening for BC, I'm just shooting in the dark though.

I regularly pass sno on my way to elk, much more variety and a better mountain in my opinion. That said, I'd take anywhere in the catskills over elk any day.

I have indeed seen my cat run 15 feet up a tree, turn around, then run straight back down. Just cause they can't decend slowly does not mean cats have to back down a tree. She also caught a flying squirrel last year.

BC's lodge and hotels are better than any in PA and most on the entire east coast I'd say. It's just the view from the lodge that is kinda lacking :)

• Like 2

I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess at something like december 20th opening for BC, I'm just shooting in the dark though.I regularly pass sno on my way to elk, much more variety and a better mountain in my opinion. That said, I'd take anywhere in the catskills over elk any day.I have indeed seen my cat run 15 feet up a tree, turn around, then run straight back down. Just cause they can't decend slowly does not mean cats have to back down a tree. She also caught a flying squirrel last year.BC's lodge and hotels are better than any in PA and most on the entire east coast I'd say. It's just the view from the lodge that is kinda lacking :)

Honestly, the 20th could be a stretch as well. I know it's a long term forecast but next Tuesday through Friday at night seem to be the only chance they'll have to blow snow until that next week and it would be variable at best bwe'll see what happens maybe Mother Nature turns things around for once.

Inb4 Doug's post of "bear creek sucks blue will be open before them I'm gss and I like men"

I have indeed seen my cat run 15 feet up a tree, turn around, then run straight back down. Just cause they can't decend slowly does not mean cats have to back down a tree. She also caught a flying squirrel last year.

LOL

I love how this is partially where this thread is going now, I think the distinction is they cannot use their claws to climb down a tree.

LOL I need to find more cat facts.....

Honestly, the 20th could be a stretch as well. I know it's a long term forecast but next Tuesday through Friday at night seem to be the only chance they'll have to blow snow until that next week and it would be variable at best bwe'll see what happens maybe Mother Nature turns things around for once.

Inb4 Doug's post of "bear creek sucks blue will be open before them I'm gss and I like men"

Yeah only a couple of days next week look OK for blowing. The long term shows the following week (16th-22nd) as being pretty good, but that is to far out to be reliable.

LOL

I love how this is partially where this thread is going now, I think the distinction is they cannot use their claws to climb down a tree.

LOL I need to find more cat facts.....

Go for it, I personally find cat facts more interesting than debating when my local mountain will open up. it will happen when it happens.

• Like 1