Blivers

Lets hope they can get it done. My 6 week vacation starts Thursday and it would be nice if they were able to get something open by early next week.

Yep, I have a bunch of vacation days to burn before the end of the year so it would be pretty nice if they were able to get open for next week before the holiday rush.

Really huh? Interesting area no doubt, but your smoking bad chit if thats the best hill in Pa. And I know that death wish kid with jeans and work gloves all too good bro. Remember him well.

I think he was out of western PA, state college kid that rode at the rail jam at Tussey, he rode with my cousin and some western pa dudes I knew. If not they must be identical twins.

It takes different strokes for different folks but Laurel Highlands do as much as 200" a year and the knob by far has the best chance for seeing that 200". Unless I am wrong the Knob is the second highest place in the state and its has legit glades with real actual steeps and lots of shit in the area. Now if you want a back rub and nice hotel room and something other than microwaved hamburgers SS is your place but I don't go skiing to get my dick sucked.

The real over looked jem of PA is up in the PA Grand Canyon area, lots of snow relatively speaking and wicked wicked steeps...self propelled only. There is a book apparently about ski touring in that area but I have never come across it.

• Like 1

Yep, I have a bunch of vacation days to burn before the end of the year so it would be pretty nice if they were able to get open for next week before the holiday rush.

Mine aren't really vacation days. Just winter break from school. Not too sure why kutztown is giving us 6 weeks off this year but I'm not complaining. More time to be on the snow.

I think he was out of western PA, state college kid that rode at the rail jam at Tussey, he rode with my cousin and some western pa dudes I knew. If not they must be identical twins.

It takes different strokes for different folks but Laurel Highlands do as much as 200" a year and the knob by far has the best chance for seeing that 200". Unless I am wrong the Knob is the second highest place in the state and its has legit glades with real actual steeps and lots of shit in the area. Now if you want a back rub and nice hotel room and something other than microwaved hamburgers SS is your place but I don't go skiing to get my dick sucked.

The real over looked jem of PA is up in the PA Grand Canyon area, lots of snow relatively speaking and wicked wicked steeps...self propelled only. There is a book apparently about ski touring in that area but I have never come across it.

The cuz i was thinking of was a native to Doe, we might be thinking of two different ppl. True true, lots of reasons to like your personal area. The thing i always remembered about BK was the gnarly access road. We spun a college ski race van down that puppy in a snow storm one sunday night. Ended up doing two complete loops and spilled a shit load of cheap beer when we augered into the snowbank at the bottom. We lost van privelidges after that, not because of the wrecked bumper and doors but because it's impossible to rid the thing of dried Strohs stench.

• Like 1

The cuz i was thinking of was a native to Doe, we might be thinking of two different ppl. True true, lots of reasons to like your personal area. The thing i always remembered about BK was the gnarly access road. We spun a college ski race van down that puppy in a snow storm one sunday night. Ended up doing two complete loops and spilled a shit load of cheap beer when we augered into the snowbank at the bottom. We lost van privelidges after that, not because of the wrecked bumper and doors but because it's impossible to rid the thing of dried Strohs stench.

ahahah I forgot about the road, super sketch and no guard rail on the last big right.

its really going to be a push and they need alot of things to fall into their favor but i think bear could open this weekend with at least a couple trails, depending on what mother nature decides to throw at them. they really need to push to open at a decent time this year to avoid all the backlash and negative reputation they got last year.

its really going to be a push and they need alot of things to fall into their favor but i think bear could open this weekend with at least a couple trails, depending on what mother nature decides to throw at them. they really need to push to open at a decent time this year to avoid all the backlash and negative reputation they got last year.

.... by their own fault. And it's been going on their for more than just last year. They set the bar so damn high years ago only to fawk up so many times in the last 5. For the sake of the good people who rely on bear creek to garner a paycheck, hopefully management gets their heads out of their arses.

.... by their own fault. And it's been going on their for more than just last year. They set the bar so damn high years ago only to fawk up so many times in the last 5. For the sake of the good people who rely on bear creek to garner a paycheck, hopefully management gets their heads out of their arses.

Never said it wasn't their fault last year there was a lot that happened that could have been different last year. But that's the past. This is a new season.

Anyway, all seems quiet over there. No lights. No guns. Nothing.

The longer bear waits... the more it screws the ski shops and other related businesses. Berks County ski and boarders are lazy. Just look at the parking lots at Buckman's, Pro Snow Sports, and other local shops close to Bear. People aren't buying anything. Bears stupidity when it comes to snowmaking hurts more than just them.

The temps have to be at least marginal now up there. What are they waiting for. 27 degrees so it's perfect? thats not gonna happen.

I agree with Housemusik. The snow they SHOULD have blown last night isnt the stuff that yoi'll be skiing on. It would serve only as base layer that insulates the better snow above it. Bears guns are smart and most of them can adjust to varying conditions. Humidity was high but not off the scale to blow something. If I didn't blow snow myself, i wouldnt comment. Oh wait, maybe the bar flies pissing in the pond is keeping the water temp too high, forgot about that.

I agree with Housemusik. The snow they SHOULD have blown last night isnt the stuff that yoi'll be skiing on. It would serve only as base layer that insulates the better snow above it. Bears guns are smart and most of them can adjust to varying conditions. Humidity was high but not off the scale to blow something. If I didn't blow snow myself, i wouldnt comment. Oh wait, maybe the bar flies pissing in the pond is keeping the water temp too high, forgot about that.

The window for blowing any snow last night was tiny. Most if not all would have melted off with the temps and sun today.

Tonight and tomorrow night and possibly friday look much more favorable.

ya, that was my first gut reaction when i heard bc might blow last nite.....but i was kinda hopeful they would. let's see if they can get it going soon!

Yep, last night would have been nice but was really just wishful thinking. Tonight, tomorrow night, and Friday looks promising. Weekend is kind of meh though.

• Like 2

IMHO, its just a good feeling for the clients overall to see a ski area take a stab at blowing snow. Realistically this weekend wont happen. and the long term doesn't look favorable for opening by Christmas. A few good stories from Roundtop over the years shows that they take a lot of chances like this even when the weather is medicore at best. Last year they moved heaven and earth to host the state champs for the little USSA kids and blew snow for just a few hour window of opportunity. They even trucked snow in from other trails to make it happen. BC could have started last night. And hour here or hour there wont go too far but concentrate efforts on one or two slopes and just maybe they can start bringing a few bucks in to offset their hemmoraging of money.

• Like 1

IMHO, its just a good feeling for the clients overall to see a ski area take a stab at blowing snow. Realistically this weekend wont happen. and the long term doesn't look favorable for opening by Christmas. A few good stories from Roundtop over the years shows that they take a lot of chances like this even when the weather is medicore at best. Last year they moved heaven and earth to host the state champs for the little USSA kids and blew snow for just a few hour window of opportunity. They even trucked snow in from other trails to make it happen. BC could have started last night. And hour here or hour there wont go too far but concentrate efforts on one or two slopes and just maybe they can start bringing a few bucks in to offset their hemmoraging of money.

The weather wasn't there last night. It barely got down to 32 with a wet bulb of 29 and that was only for a very small window. This really isn't that difficult, trying to blow snow last night would have been a complete waste of money.

And BC already took a stab at blowing snow, twice so far I believe.

Edited by burton71

IMHO, its just a good feeling for the clients overall to see a ski area take a stab at blowing snow.......

agreed.

And hour here or hour there wont go too far but concentrate efforts on one or two slopes and just maybe they can start bringing a few bucks in to offset their hemmoraging of money.

exactly! i really don't understand why they blow the whole mtn instead of just one trail at first.....oh well.

The weather wasn't there last night. It barely got down to 32 with a wet bulb of 29 and that was only for a very small window. This really isn't that difficult, trying to blow snow last night would have been a complete waste of money.

And BC already took a stab at blowing snow, twice so far I believe.

yup....saw some piles on the slopes when we went up there to pick up our passes.

I'll take your word on the wet bulb temp but i live a bit south and west and was seeing high 20's for about 6 hours (didnt take note of humidity). I think the window was bigger than you think. It's been awhile since i was at BC but i think that when they installed the new snowmaking system, the used a lot of fixed guns and not enough portables. They also designed the 'legs' of the water system to not be able to support adding very many portables on top of the existing fixed guns. Thats rumor, but what i heard several times. Still, i'm sure it would be a beneficial investment to ramp up the capacity on the front face to get their main slope and park up and running asap despite maginal condition.

The weather info is straight from BC Marc, it just didn't get as cold as predicted. Hopefully tonight is a different story.

The have quite a few portables around but they also have very good coverage from the pole guns. The system works very well when the weather cooperates. In previous years all it took was 2-3 days of blowing to get 90% open with good coverage.

BC really isn't big enough to do the open with 1 or 2 trails thing. It would be a shit show.