What is your favorite terrain park feature at Camelback?

skier150

• 2 weeks later...

It is hard to find everyone in one place anymore with all the online social options.

Here is what we have setup on Oak Grove: double 8' prog box step-down, 16' flat box, 20' flat-down box, 16' flat-bar flat-rail urban down, 12' donkey rail

Here is what I have lined up for out park build tonight on the other side of Oak Grove: 20' flat box, 20' snail box, 16' up mailbox, 12' close-out rail (fat single flat), 8' pole jam rail

We are planning another build next week for Turkey Trot... so let me know if there is anything you would like to see setup. We need a little more snow to get a jump in, so lets hope for the return of good snowmaking weather.

This past week has not helped us one bit... the warm weather and rain really took a toll on the conditions and the park. We had to rebuild last night, even though nobody has even hit the setup from Tueday. But, all is well and it looks like some decent snow making weather coming up this week.

We will be building on Turkey Trot this Tuesday with the following features: 12' propane tank, wall ride, 12' urban down rail, Mountain Dew feature, 30' double barrel flat rail, 30' double barrel down-flat rail, 20' c-box.

Hopefully we will be doing a build every week until the end of the year, with our sites on Upper Moore's next week.

We need some Step ups / step downs or other types of hits. Rails are cool, but 17 rails/boxes and no jumps is a little out of proportion. What are your plans for a jump line this year? Make sure your landings are long and steep and whoever builds them knows their shit.

We need some Step ups / step downs or other types of hits. Rails are cool, but 17 rails/boxes and no jumps is a little out of proportion. What are your plans for a jump line this year? Make sure your landings are long and steep and whoever builds them knows their shit.

We just have not had enough snow to really build a jump. However we plan to add one or two on the 23rd. This week we will be building on Upper Moore's... it is still not know yet how much snow we will have to work with there. Jumps are coming soon though. We are also working with a new groomer, so there is a bit of a learning curve.

OK, so due to some grooming issues we were not able to build on Upper Moore's last night. However, we did get the chance to throw a small jump in on Oak Grove. More stuff coming on Monday... unless the park melts away over the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Park passes wasn't working good at cb? I remember pasr's used to love the idea of park passes. They are a good idea but probably bad for a mountain on the marketing tip, the children of Tom, dick, and Harry May choose mountains that don't require park passes

Yeah they don't work. Great idea, too much work for the end result to be positive. Hell, Whistler doesn't even require passes for their expert park and there are plenty of gapers who ski there as well.

Yeah they don't work. Great idea, too much work for the end result to be positive. Hell, Whistler doesn't even require passes for their expert park and there are plenty of gapers who ski there as well.

whistler's park also isn't directly under the most heavily used chair on the mountain either. Whistler's parks are intimidating. Everything is bigger than it is here, with the exception of the super beginner stuff, whereas parks around here are still inviting to be skied as a regular trail. Also, whistler's parks, as well as many other parks up north or out west, are self policing to a degree in that they've reached a critical mass of riders who do know what's going on and someone who's in the way or doing something dumb will pretty quickly get called on it by multiple people. That's not the case here. I'll be the first person to tell some dad that their 3 year old is not safe in the advanced terrain park on a holiday weekend, but I very well might be the only person he hears it from all day here, so there's not much reinforcement going on there. It's a shame park crews here don't have more authority or take the initiative to kindly suggest that everyone would have a better day if you took your 3 year old to the nice mellow green circle trail and not the one with random metal objects and 40 foot jumps. Ok, got my terrain park rant out of the way for the year...

whistler's park also isn't directly under the most heavily used chair on the mountain either. Whistler's parks are intimidating. Everything is bigger than it is here, with the exception of the super beginner stuff, whereas parks around here are still inviting to be skied as a regular trail. Also, whistler's parks, as well as many other parks up north or out west, are self policing to a degree in that they've reached a critical mass of riders who do know what's going on and someone who's in the way or doing something dumb will pretty quickly get called on it by multiple people. That's not the case here. I'll be the first person to tell some dad that their 3 year old is not safe in the advanced terrain park on a holiday weekend, but I very well might be the only person he hears it from all day here, so there's not much reinforcement going on there. It's a shame park crews here don't have more authority or take the initiative to kindly suggest that everyone would have a better day if you took your 3 year old to the nice mellow green circle trail and not the one with random metal objects and 40 foot jumps. Ok, got my terrain park rant out of the way for the year...

spot on. Actually got a good "talking to" by a dad at bear last week because I said its not the best, or safest, idea to bring his kid through the park on a leash because of the many blind spots that are in most terrain parks. His response, in front of his maybe 5 year old kid, was "I paid for a ticket I'll go wherever the fuck I want" which I kindly replied that I'm an advanced park rider and I've almost been taken out by people who don't spot landings or run outs to certain features and that it's more of a safety issue for beginners to be in there than an inconvenience.

Ok, sorry for the delay in getting back in here to post. Basically we had spent about a month in damage control mode, just trying to keep the features standing. Weather has been better, so we did a couple of builds last week with more to come. On 1/9 we setup features on Upper Moore's. On 1/14 we tore down Oak Grove and built on Lower Moore's. On 1/17 we built on Oak Grove. This Thursday we are building a jump line on skier's left Oak Grove, then the next week will be a rebuild on Turkey Trot. So there is a lot more to come, weather permitting!

Park passes are gone for this year, but if enough people complain we may be able to get them back. The fact is that a very small percentage of mountains still use park passes. It basically comes down to upper management not wanting to restrict their paying guests. Personally, I think they make the park a much safer place for everyone but it is not my call. Send an email, or post on one of the Camelback social sites. Park crew has tried many times to educate the guests, but they usually do not listen. The response the justo got was about the same one that we get. In fact we have had guests complain to management about park crew telling them what to do.

I can also tell you, as a terrain park coach for 10 years, that the people that are the problem NEVER want to listen to what you have to say... they bought their ticket and they are going to do what they want. They are also the same ones that cut you off in line at the store, and drive like idiots out on the road.

Edited by skier150

• 2 weeks later...

So over the past 2 weeks we got a lot done. We have 6 parks running with a grand total of 44 features. The jump line on Oak Grove consists of a 15', 25', and 35' step-down jump. We also added features to Upper Moore's, Lower Moore's, and Dromedary (including a small 5' table-top jump).

Our upcoming plans include a rebuild on Turkey Trot including a side hip jump, a 10' table-top jump on Upper Moore's, and a large hip jump on Lower Moore's. Plus we will be moving things around a little as we complete these builds.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately we have not been able to rebuild Turkey Trot yet, but we will as soon as the holidays are done. Here is our current feature list as of 2/16/14:

DROMEDARY:

roller

roller

roller

roller

banked turn

8' flat box

16' step box

5' table jump

UPPER MOORE'S:

20' snail box

snow spine with hitching post

16' urban down box

16' flat box

20' planet flat box

16' mailbox

lip jump

20' flat box

10' table jump

LOWER MOORE'S:

20' urban rasta box

10' close-out rail

20' wide-flat-bar flat rail

20' planet up box (to) 20' planet flat box

16' up box

35' hip jump

OAK GROVE:

16' urban single barrel rail

24' down flat down wide-flat-bar rail

8' pole jam rail (to) 16' down mailbox

20' flat up flat-bar rail

15' step down jump

25' step down jump

35' step down jump

TURKEY TROT:

snow spine with large propane tank

wall ride

20' down flat double barrel rail

20' 6" bar flat rail

20' mountain dew rail (tripod)

30' urban double barrel flat rail

side hip hit

20' c-box

16' flat-bar flat rail

corrugated pipe

corrugated pipe

corrugated pipe

HIKE PARK:

16' down mailbox

12' donkey rail

SUNBOWL PROGRESSION PARK:

6x1' flat box

6x2' flat box

8x2' flat box

8x2' flat box

8' flat-bar rail

10x2' flat box

roller

roller

No desire at all to go to camelback, but props to you guys for switching things up regularly and keeping the masses updated.

Lol, I hear you... about as much desire as I have to go to blue. Thanks though, I am trying to make things better over there as much as I can.

• Like 1

Justo only goes to CB as an excuse to hit up Barley Creek.

pretty accurate. Nothing really negative about the terrain or the skiing, at least compared to other local areas. I've just had a lot of issues with the place from a customer service standpoint that leave me pretty bitter about it, nothing against their parks or anything like that.
  • Like 1

pretty accurate. Nothing really negative about the terrain or the skiing, at least compared to other local areas. I've just had a lot of issues with the place from a customer service standpoint that leave me pretty bitter about it, nothing against their parks or anything like that.

Same. I was invited to email the manager about my incident (theres a thread on it) and haven't heard back. Fuck that circus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...