MOST RECENT BLUE INFO

kmar2006

okay... i dunno where to begin... ill take my not 100% sure info first.. the new trail will not be a terain park.. it also will almost positivly not be ready for next year... as of yesterday i was with the GM of blue and he told me to let my friends know that a man will be coming in that designs terrain parks out west.. he gave me a name but i forget.. he said he designed some parks for ski/snowboard camps too.... he is sosposed to be here in august to replan both parks along with new rails... thats from the GM mouth.. i spoke with him at a wedding we were both at for a friend.. kinda weird that it was at bear creek.. we were standing feet away from one of the best parks discussing it and how that ski area is doing.. we talked bout alot... i cant mnake promises but thats what he told me... and theres no reason to pull my chain as i work for him.. i just hope it all falls through ne question you can always email me... he said this might excite a few people..

and to think i might have gone to bear creek this year for my pass. but we shall see if this truely happens

29385[/snapback]

Dude if you are only about the park - then go to Bear.. If you want a mix of vert and an OK park then Blue is the ticket.

Whats wrong with the snow?

29435[/snapback]

No offense if any of you work there but the quality of the blown snow is very course. Many other places blow a finer less crystal-like snow. Also, the grooming there just plain sucks! Even first thing in the AM you will rarely find courderoy and there are way too many death cookies. It's just plain bad. Maybe it's bad equipment but it really is poor.

No offense if any of you work there but the quality of the blown snow is very course. Many other places blow a finer less crystal-like snow. Also, the grooming there just plain sucks!  Even first thing in the AM you will rarely find courderoy and there are way too many death cookies. It's just plain bad.  Maybe it's bad equipment but it really is poor.

29468[/snapback]

its not the equipment is the groomer

To all you fools,

Blue Mountain will never be better than what is has been the past two years. The reason is that the park groomer doesn't ski or snowboard! He has no idea what he is doing regarding cheese wedges and rails. everything in front of a rail should have a gap on, that is how to approach a rail. The management sucks beacuse its f*cking privately owned, not corporate owned like Mountain Creek or even Bear Creek. Want to know why their parks have been on the up the past few years? It because they want their parks to be good to make more $$$$$. Their parks get funding from sponsors and where does that leave us? OH right, a f*cking family of goddamn skiiers owns and runs blue mountain. I worked on Park (Crue) this past season and we had so many good ideas but they didn't care about what we have to say. I def do NOT like corporate America or anything dealing with it, but in OUR case, this is the do or die question

Posted by: mogwaish 2005/5/17

i got that from snowboard.com

so maybe if they get rid of teh groomers and hire people who know what they are doing would be a hell of a lot better.

I'm so excited. Can't you tell? :rofl

BTW, the snow does feel course right in the morning, because you can't help it when it freezes and thaws overnight. It's going to get like that. When it softens up the day before, it loses its snow consistency, and when it freezes, well, it turns into ice. Can't really prevent it, unless somehow other mtns have figured out how to alter weather... :P

You can't compare Elk to Blue in terms of snow quality, because it's truely a different climate, but Blue does a good job, for what they have. Blue is barely, if it even is considered it, in the Poconos.

No offense if any of you work there but the quality of the blown snow is very course. Many other places blow a finer less crystal-like snow. Also, the grooming there just plain sucks!  Even first thing in the AM you will rarely find courderoy and there are way too many death cookies. It's just plain bad.  Maybe it's bad equipment but it really is poor.

29468[/snapback]

Finally someone agrees with me :)

I'm so excited.  Can't you tell?  :rofl

BTW, the snow does feel course right in the morning, because you can't help it when it freezes and thaws overnight.  It's going to get like that.  When it softens up the day before, it loses its snow consistency, and when it freezes, well, it turns into ice.  Can't really prevent it, unless somehow other mtns have figured out how to alter weather... :P

29486[/snapback]

Everyday I have ever been at blue its cruddy in the morning, whether it freezes at night or not :(

I have noticed the same thing at Blue about their snow quality, but always thought it had to do with their location. When I go to other mountains further North (like JF/BB) their man made snow always seems a lot better along with their grooming. I still think Blue does a great job, no one blows as much snow as they do. Also Razors and Challange always seem to in better shape than the rest of the mountain, especially Razors.

Hmm, when it's below 32 degrees the snow doesn't melt especially when there is no sun light on it so I don't know where the mythical snow melt is coming from. It doesn't fix the poor grooming problem that many people comment on. They keep Razors in the best shape because of the race teams. That's the only run they really pay any attention to. Look at Burma road, its a death trap for beginners and it is usally a train wreck. How many times is Paradise closed in the AM because it's not ready? Why isn't there a snow fence on Home Stretch? the wind blows right across the base of the mountain and forms slabs there all the time. It's not the weather.....

Edited by Finndog

I agree with you with two things. One the grooming does suck. Second Burma IS a death trap for noobs. I always try to avoid that trail. One time I got ran into by a noob and took us both out coming around the corner. When I first learned to ski as a kid, I can only remember bad things about Burma Road because I always wiped out going around corners and over the side, especially at night when it ices up from all the traffic.

Hmm, when it's below 32 degrees the snow doesn't melt especially when there is no sun light on it so I don't know where the mythical snow melt is coming from. It doesn't fix the poor grooming problem that many people comment on. They keep Razors in the best shape because of the race teams. That's the only run they really pay any attention to. Look at Burma road, its a death trap for beginners and it is usally a train wreck. How many times is Paradise closed in the AM because it's not ready? Why isn't there a snow fence on Home Stretch? the wind blows right across the base of the mountain and forms slabs there all the time.  It's not the weather.....

29498[/snapback]

Few things...#1. All it takes is one day of 33 degree weather to soften things up and melt the snow cyrstals, and then you have that hard, nongrippy "snow/ice" stuff. #2. Razors is in the best condition, partly because of the amazing snowmaking system on that trail. Problems with Burma? Unless you're a noob, why even go on it? #3. Paradise is usually closed in the AM because of snowmaking the night before. They blow on that trail alot, because of how big it is, and they like to blow as late into the morning as possibly, even if it does mean delaying the trail opening slightly. Again, it's a newbie trail, stick to Razors. Even if they're not snowmaking, they have some trails at Blue that take awhile to groom. You should see how long it takes to groom Challenge, let alone Razors. Anyway, don't want to argue, but I wanted to reiterate my point about the snow conditions. It's warmer at blue, and all it takes is 33 degree weather. Nobody blows snow like Blue does. :)

Exactly, the only reason why razors edge is so good is because of the York tower mounted guns. Compared to the rest of the mountain with the older conventional air/water guns. The only good thing about the older air/water guns is that they allow them to blow in warmer temps compared to the towers/hkd's. Thats why when its marginal at night and all the other mountains can't blow because they all have fan guns/ towers blue is pumping it out on most of the trails because they got the oldie but goodie guns.

Hands down, blue is a snowmaking powerhouse, there simply is no arguing with that system.

Right, so you agree Razors edge gets the most attention and has the best conditions. They have the most modern guns that blow better snow. The rest of the mountain has a ways to go. When I ski out west or at real resorts, the groomers work all night to make sure everything is ready roll at first chair. I point out Paradise and Burma because as newbie trails, they should always be well maintained. I didn't even begin to comment on the death cookies on lower side-winder! It's just crappy grooming; plain and simple. I am new here but It sounds like Atomicman is on the Blue payroll! Blue blows a lot (notice the spelling) of snow but a lot of it sucks!

I didn't even begin to comment on the death cookies on lower side-winder! It's just crappy grooming; plain and simple.

29506[/snapback]

well lower sidewinder is now the boarder/skiercross park so it not to many noobs should be one it this year and the grooming should be alot better