Boot liner question...

phillycore

I'm curious if anyone has ever used the liner from their old boots in their new ones?

Just messing around with my new boots and the new liner is just way too tight at my instep. To the point where it's not a packing out issue. I looked at my old liner and figured out why after seeing this....

post-1572-14125279885947_thumb.jpg

Viewers left is the new liner.....

That piece of leather is the problem.

My old liner on viewers right is elastic all the way down. I put that liner in my new boot shell and wow what a difference.

Of course my old liners are packed out and comfortable and the new is stiff and not even molded yet, but the new shell is 2 cm smaller last (100 instead of 102) and with the old liner it feels tight but over time might pack out more to perfection...

I could just have the leather removed and replaced with elastic on the new liners as well I guess...just being lazy and I kinda like the comfort of my old liner....lol

I can but it's extremely tight....way too tight at my instep

Can liners be stretched, like shoes? Maybe you can improvise something big enough to shove into the instep area to stretch it. Or wear them around the house at nite and see if that eventually stretches them. Not sure if baking the liners and walking around in them might work as well. Really, will depend on how tight they are.

this sounds like bad news.

That's my thinking as well. Might be worth your while to try the same liner on a half size bigger and see if that makes a difference. It's really going to depend on how much additional play you need for the instep. The liner will only stretch so far.

Your a pretty serious skier and that means alot of hours in the boots. Ditch both liners and go with a after market like intuition - https://intuitionliners.com/the-liners/

Take the time to get the liners dialed and then sit back and enjoy. If you go see a boot guy it will cost 2x as much and that ain't rocket science like shell work.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 2

What is that material over the top of the foot? If you haven't had the liners heated, you can go to the shop you got them from and see if heating them will help. All that really does is speed up the break in process, it's not really too magical. If the instep is the area of concern, I'd stay away from intuition liners, which are actually pretty thick through the instep since they overlap there. How's the space over your instep with a shell fit? If there's some room there, it's just the liner that's causing pressure which can be packed out. If you don't have room over your instep with a shell fit, you might need to have the boot board shaved a bit to drop your foot 1mm lower in the shell, but that can affect other things too.

Yeah there are lots of options, you may be able to get the stock liners in a different size though shop contact can really help or there are lots of other alternatives to intuition.

http://www.untracked.com/p4659c3b113lr-Froogle-15_full_tilt_intuition_pro_ski_boot_liners.html#chsku325574

http://www.zipfit.com/

http://www.sidassport.com/en/our-products/winter-sports/pu-transfoam-liners-91-2.html

• Like 1

Easier to stretch it....(shell will limit width) than put it back in after a week or so. Shell will limit the width regardless.

The liner has a leather cap on it and is sewn tighter at the forefoot.... With my orthodic inside of the liner I need it to stretch wider or it pushes my instep upwards and restricts blood flow (makes toes go numb). If I can get the liner to stretch wider than my instep won't be an issue.

Easier to stretch it....(shell will limit width) than put it back in after a week or so. Shell will limit the width regardless.

The liner has a leather cap on it and is sewn tighter at the forefoot.... With my orthodic inside of the liner I need it to stretch wider or it pushes my instep upwards and restricts blood flow (makes toes go numb). If I can get the liner to stretch wider than my instep won't be an issue.

Shouldn't have to rely on your foot flattening out to relieve instep pressure. My buddy rocks the quest and he has a gnarly gargoyle instep, and he loves em. Salomon makes a killer liner. I'd go back to the shop, bake em, wear em at home a few times, and then see how they feel the first day or two on snow. You really can't get an accurate idea of how a boot fits and what minor tweaks you'll need to do until you ski in it and put it through its paces. My guess is either that instep will pack out a bit or it'll just be a non issue once you've got the leverage of the ski to work with. Worst case, grind the boot board a tad to drop your foot a little bit, on thin out the orthotics or something. Are they podiatrist orthotics or actual ski boot footbeds? If they're dr orthotics that could be a big part of the issue as well; they tend to be pretty voluminous to cram into a ski boot.

I have the zipfit worldcup liners and I love them....however, I have a very low volume foot with low arches.  also, I had extra cork compound injected into the liners b/c there was still waay to much room for my feet.  that said, zipfit does make a very thin liner (grand prix)....worth a shot. keep in mind that zipfits are not cheap, but they should last you several shells. if you stick with your current liner, def look into modifying it. 

also, do those sidas footbeds allow your feet to splay when you weight the foot?  instep issues can also occur when the footbed keeps the arch in the "up" position all the time.  a good footbed will provide support to the arch and allow the foot to splay when weighted. 

in the end, def take your boots to a good boot fitter and see what he/she has to offer.

As someone who put up with years of pain in the search of performance, I ponied up the cash and went to Billy Kaplan.  GSS and JStyle know what I used to deal with, and last year at the bottom of the Hobacks I didn't have to stop and rip my buckles off.  I skied to the lift and flipped them up.  It was a 1000x time improvement over what I used to suffer with.

• Like 2