3/5/15...powder day

Hey all,

I'm back from a fun session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I left for the hill at 7:20am and it was 30 degrees with snow falling and about 1" of snow in Whitehall. Arrived at Blue just before 8am and JLAW and VTMark were in the house. 26 degrees at the base. Was snowing moderately and I'm guessing to start maybe an inch and a half in the lower lot and 2-3" up high. We actually had second chair as some goober got the one in front of us. First run was Nightmare to Dreamweaver nice drifts to the right of bumps and smooth untracked snow on top of groomed on Dreamweaver. Each inch that fell got lighter and lighter. Second run was another Nightmare to Dreamweaver and still alot of untracked then the marquee route which was a combination of drifts areas with no new snow due to the wind and areas of dust on crust. Probably the best leg workout I've had this season at Blue.

After that we found the deepest pow of the day on the left side of sidewinder solid boot deep and light pow that had drifted woo. Another run on sidewinder and we skied the bike trail with the berms and saw one of the holes. That was fun and mostly untracked. We then took sleepy hollow glades which only had a few tracks down Main Street to the Main Street chair. Down the TBar line and some jackhole had already been down it. Turns out that jackhole was VTMark wahahahahooey

Back to the six pack then some switchback which was all tracked out and lots of BMR groms on it since they didnt have school. Up the loser lifts to Upper raceway which was some untracked...down midway to Burma back to the six and then I skied nightmare to Dreamweaver into the lot for a beer and a smoke. Also skied bumblebee bowl earlier and was rough due to the crust layer below the new snow.

After a beer the snow was tapering off and we headed out for more runs. Nightmare to Dreamweaver was still nice then we did some secret woods somewhere in the middle of the hill which were narrow and funky...ended with two more runs tracking out any untracked still left right side of upper sidewinder to marquee route and I took the baller route on left side which was still untouched dropped a mini cliff peaced out at noonish. Went to covered bridge inn and it doesn't open until 4pm on weekdays so went to BMDI instead. Back here in Allentown and I think there might even be an inch more snow than at Blue. Everybodies digging out. Temperature was down to 19 degrees when we left and gonna get below zero tonight. Looks like perfect weather this weekend morning temps around 15-20 rising into the 30s with sun. The new snow along with underlying ice crust should groom out into some nice firm cord and I'm sure it will be packed with the new snow down in the flatlands. Ski u later.

• Like 3

Sounds awesome. If it stops snowing here soon I may head out there for some evening turns. Still snowing there?

Yeah snowing again roads actually getting worse I think cause the temperature is plummeting. This morning was a top 10 for sure..maybe even top 8. Not so much for the depth but the sheer number of untracked turns. People really didnt start showing up much until like 11...

Nice!  

Hope to find and try t-bar on sunday with my daughter.

There's a bike track I found and skied my last time there - wondering if you guys have a name for it....trying to figure out how to describe it without giving it away.  Not that I really care, but it's fun to try to protect stashes....

Real glad you guys had a good day.  I was at work for four hours, tried to rally family and friends for night session, but no takers.  Roads here are pretty crappy.  Would be a long drive.

Ski this line today?

2863031c29f8b64e0aa1033cb5f43f6c.jpg

Ok, seems to me I know right where this is now - seems to me maybe the entrance is behind a structure?

• Like 1

I got up there late, had to get stuff done at work beforehand.

On the south side of the mountain it was dumping, but as we crested the top, I could see the change in density and knew it was almost over.

By the time I got on the slopes, snow was all but done.

Found some stashes around but pretty much everything was tracked out.

Did a few bike trails that were ok, but had to watch for the crust layer from the rain they must have got.

Only mogul run that wasn't any good was Challenge, all the rest had some nice fluff in them.

Pretty much a waste of a storm for Blue again, as the South and East got the best of it.

I got up there late, had to get stuff done at work beforehand.

On the south side of the mountain it was dumping, but as we crested the top, I could see the change in density and knew it was almost over.

By the time I got on the slopes, snow was all but done.

Found some stashes around but pretty much everything was tracked out.

Did a few bike trails that were ok, but had to watch for the crust layer from the rain they must have got.

Only mogul run that wasn't any good was Challenge, all the rest had some nice fluff in them.

Pretty much a waste of a storm for Blue again, as the South and East got the best of it.

Haha you weren't there you don't know lol

As tp4s lady says haters gonna hate hate hate

• Like 1

Haha you weren't there you don't know lol

As tp4s lady says haters gonna hate hate hate

I hate that I couldn't make open...

Forgot to mention we saw a kid who apparently fell off the doubles...

Part way up the first section in the woods, next thing we see is kid lying in the lift-line.

Estimated 8-10' drop.

Questioned whether he fell off or jumped, but from the rental skis, snowplow out, we don't believe he had the cojones to jump.

Bar down please...

Edited by indiggio

Well this weekend is gonna be packed. Was crazy last night I was looking up Vermont lodging for Mess and all of Ludlow is booked up and only three establishments in Rutland have rooms Saturday night. This could very well be the busiest weekend of the season at many spots. The cold really kept alot of the casual skiers off the slopes this season.

Well this weekend is gonna be packed. Was crazy last night I was looking up Vermont lodging for Mess and all of Ludlow is booked up and only three establishments in Rutland have rooms Saturday night. This could very well be the busiest weekend of the season at many spots. The cold really kept alot of the casual skiers off the slopes this season.

I agree

With the new snow and the warming temps, I think it's gonna bring out the hoards.

Crap.  Blue is gonna be a mad house sunday huh?

Might go to JF instead.

JF will be as well but you'll get less skiing in with lifts that date back to the days of the dinosaurs. Come on TNT really it just dumped 6-10" in the flat lands and its gonna be in the 30s and sunny this is the last chance for casual skiers and riders to ski!!!!

Next weekend will prob be the last busy weekend and then crowds will start to decline. I still have some hope that we get this big St. Patrick's day storm and more cold that the accuweather forums are buzzing about.

JF just never seems to be that crowded.  I guess because no night skiing - keeps the young crowd away.

Yeah, we'll end up at blue I'm sure, but I just cringe, remembering some mob scenes from the last couple years.

JF just never seems to be that crowded.  I guess because no night skiing - keeps the young crowd away.

Yeah, we'll end up at blue I'm sure, but I just cringe, remembering some mob scenes from the last couple years.

Just try and get out for opening...gotta get those early uncrowded runs and fast laps in. There really haven't been many super crowded days at blue this season just alot of moderate crowded days. My spidey senses are tingling a little so I'm thinking this weekend is gonna be the crowded presidents weekend or MLK weekend we never had.

• Like 1