BB This Weekend?

Nice day. No line over 5 minutes. Bunny elbow had the dirtiest snow I've seen (no bare sports though), bunny schuss is actually closed with a large unpassable dirt stretch. The two open black diamonds were in fine shape as were the two parks which were skiable even for non park kids. There was some skiing through water near where the lift let you off but the slopes were fine. All the snow was of course real slow with the temp peaking at about 70. Sounds like they may even try to open next weekend, but I expect it will be limited to Love Park as there is a pretty thin bridge of snow connecting the eastern slopes to the merry widow lift and I don't see that lasting.

Glad to get my day 21 in and make my 200k vertical - both personal records for a ski season, and give my kids a 10th day on skis this year.

On the way home we took a detour for a beautiful hike at Dingman's falls.

We were in short sleeves wind breakers and bike helmets for skiing, but plenty of folks were just in short sleeves and shorts and one guy was shirtless.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 4

What's the issue with bike helmets instead of ski helmets on a hot day? The point of helmets isn't to look cool.

It's a gaper thing. Just make sure you have a ski helmet with vents and you should be fine on a warm day. Ski helmets also provide better impact protection than bike helmets. Bike helmets don't have any protection at the back of your head.

• Like 2

it was fun.  went with VTmark.  the diamond next to bunny schuss was open which was a pleasant surprise, since the website said it was closed.  they lost ALOT of snow since last weekend, but there was still enough to have coverage on bunny, both diamonds, and both parks.  crowd was only half as big as it was last weekend.  it was a fun time and im glad i got out.  if they were to open next weekend they would only be able to do it on the two parks by flattening some jumps out

im just pissed split rock charges $1 each way to get to BB smh.  when i had a pass to CB i had to pay $13 to cross the GW bridge and never complained, but split rock charges $2 and i complain lol

Next year Exit 87 will be open, which will dump you right onto 903.  You are kind of doing it wrong anyways by going all the way up to 80, and through split rock.  You can get off at Mahoning Valley and up that way, which is quicker, but pretty much a moot point once the slip ramp opens.  

ya i remember POC saying that slip ramp should save a bunch of time.  are there any food options from mahoning valley to BB?  i always liked the food options getting off at mt. pocono exit.  mark likes taking mahoning valley exit to blue, he says it saves time but i have my doubts.  i like having all the food options in whitehall

i was gonna say "unless you really enjoy stopping at wawa"..........

There are food options, but it may not be the quick fare you are looking for.  No wawa, or fast food.  3 pizza places, 1 chinese, 1 deli/market, and a dollar store.  

i am suprised they didnt wait until friday at 4 pm......

1429492372_season_thanksv2.jpg

Mayday maybe.  

Burton71 did you ever write a Whistler report??

Nope, been super busy.  

Basically, top 1/3 of the mountain was awesome.  Couple inches of reloaded blower pow most mornings and we got 2 days with some fresh snow.  Pretty much bluebird ever other day. 

Mid mountain was all about groomers and park.  Park was on point and I hit some of the biggest jumps I've hit in years.  Saw a bunch of pro riders lapping Blackcomb which was awesome.  

Bottom 1/3 had the least amount of snow I have ever seen there so we avoided that except for end of the day runs.  Blackcomb only had 1 trail running into the village which was crazy.

Not the best trip out there I've been on from a snow standpoint but it was a hell of a good time with what was there and the lack of crowds.

• Like 1