International Ski Areas Studying the Poconos

RidgeRacer

Now if only we could make our mountains about 10x larger we'd be all set.

http://wnep.com/2015/09/10/international-ski-areas-studying-the-poconos/

TANNERSVILLE -- Some ski area leaders have their sights set on making business even better in Europe, Canada, and even here in the U.S. They’re learning how at all of Camelback’s resorts in Tannersville.

"How they incorporate the Camelback Mountain Adventure Park, the zip line with the water features, with the skiing, with the summer/winter business, there's a lot that we can study in the model that we have here,” said Ski Area Management Magazine publisher Olivia Rowan.

The three-day annual conference is run by the trade magazine Ski Area Management. Those attending say it’s an action packed trip.

"It's a really hands-on camp here. Nobody's in suits and ties; we are all out getting muddy and dirty and trying the activities out,” said Tom McHugh of Vermont.

"Just seeing this operation, how they've made incredibly good use of the acreage, is something I don't really think we have considered as well as they have here,” said Michael Dixon of New Hampshire.

Dixon says he works at Mount Sunapee in New Hampshire and says he’s already found room for improvement at their year-round resort.

"A lot more things than I thought, a lot of the sessions were the marketing, pricing, things like that. It's easy to pick out little small areas that we are missing,” said Dixon.

With a mountain coaster, zip lines, indoor and outdoor waterparks, a ski area and then some – every season is filled with adventure options at Camelback. That’s exactly what these other resort leaders say they’re striving for.

"This is now the model of the mountain resort industries," said Rowan, "a four-season resort, a true four-season."

The ski area management summer conference runs through Friday in Tannersville.

Can you ski in/out of the hotel?

I drove up there a bit ago to look at it. Im real impressed. Just seems a bit overkill. Times are a-changing i guess though.

Real nice windows. I was hoping the roof is glass but its white plastic. Whack.

The in/out slides on the side of the building should be clear, thatd be sick.

Real sweet project.

Having 30 million people in the most affluent part lf the world within a two hour drive and limited competition doesn't hurt.

where the heck is that 30 million coming from? I know NYC is huge, but philly is like 1.5m. Let's say another 2m for the greater philly suburbs plus Lehigh valley. NYC + suburbs has 26.5m people?

Also, how is cameltoe the pinnacle of success here? I swear the goal of every customers-facing employee is to piss you off and make you never want to return.

• Like 1

Due to my work I know all about populations because my potential customers is directly correlated to population as the current annial death rate is about .8% which now is the lowest it will be in our lifetimes due to an extremely low birthrate from 1930-1945.

NJ has 9 million people...most are in the northern 2/3..so lets call it 7.5 million north 2/3 of jersey(prob higher)

North/central NJ 7.5 million

Philadelphia county 1.5 million

Bucks county 600k

Montgomery county 800k

Chester county PA 500K

Lehigh county 350k

Northampton county 300k

Berks county 400K

Schuylkill county pa 150K

Monroe county 170k

Pike county 60k

NYC 5 boroughs 8.4 million

Nassau county population 1.35 million

West chester county population 1 million

New castle county DE 550k

Lackawanna/luzerne 500k

I get like 23 million here I just remember our market being like 26 million people within a 2 hour drive of Allentown I didnt include Harrisburg metro above which is another 500k. Anyway maybe it's closer to 20 million but its a very concentrated population.

I think the 26 million figure was the Philly metro area of 6 million plus the NYC metro area of 20 million and outlying areas are over 2 hours from the camel.

Justo you aren't the average PA ski resort customer...average Tom dick and Phoengs view going to a ski resort like going to an amusement park..it's something they do a few times a year tops so having things like a mountain coaster, zip line, waterpark, multiple restaurants, live music and other attractions are more important than long runs and a top terrain park.

Due to my work I know all about populations because my potential customers is directly correlated to population as the current annial death rate is about .8% which now is the lowest it will be in our lifetimes due to an extremely low birthrate from 1930-1945.

NJ has 9 million people...most are in the northern 2/3..so lets call it 7.5 million north 2/3 of jersey(prob higher)

North/central NJ 7.5 million

Philadelphia county 1.5 million

Bucks county 600k

Montgomery county 800k

Chester county PA 500K

Lehigh county 350k

Northampton county 300k

Berks county 400K

Schuylkill county pa 150K

Monroe county 170k

Pike county 60k

NYC 5 boroughs 8.4 million

Nassau county population 1.35 million

West chester county population 1 million

New castle county DE 550k

Lackawanna/luzerne 500k

I get like 23 million here I just remember our market being like 26 million people within a 2 hour drive of Allentown I didnt include Harrisburg metro above which is another 500k. Anyway maybe it's closer to 20 million but its a very concentrated population.

I think the 26 million figure was the Philly metro area of 6 million plus the NYC metro area of 20 million and outlying areas are over 2 hours from the camel.

Justo you aren't the average PA ski resort customer...average Tom dick and Phoengs view going to a ski resort like going to an amusement park..it's something they do a few times a year tops so having things like a mountain coaster, zip line, waterpark, multiple restaurants, live music and other attractions are more important than long runs and a top terrain park.

amazed you know all those numbers off the top of your head haha

Not even concerned about terrain parks, the employees at camelback are my main issue with the place.

• Like 1

amazed you know all those numbers off the top of your head haha

Not even concerned about terrain parks, the employees at camelback are my main issue with the place.

Why wouldn't I know all those numbers. Doesn't everybody remember everything they see or hear forever or is that just me. Fuck I remember meals I ate at Chilis and red robin with the scholastic scrimmage team in 1996...yeah that's a humble brag.

When do you even deal with employees at camelback. When redeeming free alien pass...they're prob pissed they have to wear a fleece vest indoors. Must be warm lol.

• Like 1

Regardless of the crappy customer service, the size of the mountain, and the location, they are an excellent example of how to develop a four season resort if you have the cash and the population to sustain it. Jay has done quite well with theirs and it doesn't have an outdoor water park (climate). This isn't a prototypical model since most places don't have this type of year round population nearby or the access to capital that those consumers could bring, but they have developed it quite nicely.

Granted, every resort has its opponents, but if this were at Killington, they would be praised for the planning and infrastructure they have in place.

Edited by Ride Delaware ?