Snowbird 2-23

JFskiDan

Snowbird skied well today.  A little snow overnight on top of what we got yesterday made for a pretty nice day.  Spent most of the morning in Mineral Basin.  We were skiing mostly off the Mineral Basin lift, we took a ride up Baldy lift right before lunch which offered up some nice trees and snow, but lead us around to an area where we had a drop of about 7-8' in order to get back to the lift.  I fought with gravity and lost.  I think i just over analyzed the situation.  Dropped, landed, bounced to left and tumbled downhill a bit.  In the process of doing this i wailed my knee on something.  A little sore but everything is still functioning.  Took lunch at the new fancy summit lodge.  Pretty high end food when i was really just craving some ground up cow on a bun.  Decided to ski the front side rather than just spending the whole day in Mineral Basin.  Sometime around 1:30 or so Guitar and ski buddy Rob decided to take a hike off the Gad2 lift for some fresh turns.  I opted out not knowing quite what the hike would really be like with the knee issue.  It was quite a long hike, but they scored some great turns which i will let Guitar expand on as i think he has some pics as well.  

I skied some trails around the Gad2 and Gadzoom lift ducking in and out of some trees.  Took a beer break, and met up with Guitar sometime after 3, and we started making our way back to the base lodge.  

Snow stayed pretty nice all day.  

Mineral Basin mid morning

post-1753-0-87020300-1456278226_thumb.jpg

Somewhere around Gadzoom

post-1753-0-08048800-1456278363_thumb.jpg

Somewhere on the mountain

post-1753-0-14019700-1456278463_thumb.jpg

Basic scenery

post-1753-0-96860000-1456278520_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

so rob and i decided it would be a most excellent adventure to get some fresh turns in the untracked snowfields above Gad 2 lift. the boot pack didn't look too bad and we went for it. we told jfskidan it would only take us 30 mins to get where we wanted to go. wow, that hike was way more than either of us bargained for. we were so beat by the time we actually made it up to the top, about an hour after we started. so we finally get up to the top of the boot pack, then we gear up and take the traverse across the ridge line (which was another adventure in of itself). we skied past the temptation chutes and dropped into this wide open bowl and ended up at the intersection of bananas and tiger tail. snow was suprizingly good. a little crush on top that easily broke down to shin deep goodness. totally worth the harrowing trek to that spot. needless to say that was the last run of the day. we met up with jfskidan at the bottom of Gad 2 lift, took it up and then made our way back to Snowbird Center and had some apres at the lift fork.

• Like 2

so rob and i decided it would be a most excellent adventure to get some fresh turns in the untracked snowfields above Gad 2 lift. the boot pack didn't look too bad and we went for it. we told jfskidan it would only take us 30 mins to get where we wanted to go. wow, that hike was way more than either of us bargained for. we were so beat by the time we actually made it up to the top, about an hour after we started. so we finally get up to the top of the boot pack, then we gear up and take the traverse across the ridge line (which was another adventure in of itself). we skied past the temptation chutes and dropped into this wide open bowl and ended up at the intersection of bananas and tiger tail. snow was suprizingly good. a little crush on top that easily broke down to shin deep goodness. totally worth the harrowing trek to that spot. needless to say that was the last run of the day. we met up with jfskidan at the bottom of Gad 2 lift, took it up and then made our way back to Snowbird Center and had some apres at the lift fork.

Should have kept going skiers left after Tiger Tail and hit Defiance Ledge into Thunder Alley and skied the rope back to Baby Thunder. You have to cut back off the rope line a little early to make it back and not have to hike out but we always had good turns in that area because its a real bitch to go to and even more of a bitch to lap (3 lifts per lap). Glad you guys got at it, but i have no idea why everyone skies Mineral so much... 

• Like 4

Should have kept going skiers left after Tiger Tail and hit Defiance Ledge into Thunder Alley and skied the rope back to Baby Thunder. You have to cut back off the rope line a little early to make it back and not have to hike out but we always had good turns in that area because its a real bitch to go to and even more of a bitch to lap (3 lifts per lap). Glad you guys got at it, but i have no idea why everyone skies Mineral so much...

What's wrong with mineral basin? Looks like a lot of black diamond terrain. How's the cirque?? That looks pretty sweet.

Was there a long line for the Tram?

What's wrong with mineral basin? Looks like a lot of black diamond terrain. How's the cirque?? That looks pretty sweet.

Was there a long line for the Tram?

mineral is all south-ish facing with easy access to most everything in it, with everything on display from the lift. It gets baked and skied off very quickly. There's some fun terrain, but I've always found better snow elsewhere.
  • Like 2

we didn't hit up the tram. but there did not appear to be a long line when we first arrived. we pretty much just skiied mineral basin, little cloud, gadzoom, and gad 2 areas. didn't even touch the peruvian side at all. we got into mineral basin thru the tunnel. mineral basin has a lot of great stuff in there, but it was very crowded at the bottom. the sun hits it all day long...so i guess everyone wants to get some before it all turns to mashies. by the time we got out of the boundary bowl rob and i were totally shot. had just enough legs to take the groomers back to snowbird center.

Edited by guitar73
  • Like 1

here are few additional photos.

the new summit lodge. they serve prime rib in there.

post-8325-0-05300700-1456967750_thumb.jpg

little cloud bowl area is sweet. loads to hit up there.

post-8325-0-15125300-1456967795_thumb.jpg

rob and i during one of our many stops along the gad 2 touring boot pack.

post-8325-0-10167200-1456967839_thumb.jpg

fresh tracks in the boundary bowls.

post-8325-0-01958400-1456967896_thumb.jpg

tram heading up the hill.

post-8325-0-89764400-1456967996_thumb.jpg

• Like 2