#1 SallyCat

SallyCat

Making Turns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Home Mtn: Blue

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Long story, but in June I bought a pair of skis in Mammoth, CA, and had them mounted. Skied them the next day, and later in the day they started squeaking really badly. I also noticed some movement in the toe (my boot moving within the toepiece, i.e.)  Brought them back to the shop, which looked them over, did a round of release tests, tightened a screw in the toepiece and told me they were good to go. 

The next day the squeaking resumed, so I brought them to the Mammoth Mtn. ski shop for a second opinion. The guy there said they looked ok, but that I had three different DIN settings between the two skis. No idea why that would be the case.

So, I skied my creaky skis for the rest of the trip. I kept asking around, though, and I've been told that squeaking could be a sign of a bad mount and to check for space between ski and binding. There is very visible space. Also, the heel lever on one of the skis is loose (see video): 

https://facultyjacob...ing-heel-lever/

I'm back in PA and wondering what to do with these skis. If they were mounted improperly, can they be fixed? If not, what do I do next?

Here are pics of the space between ski and binding:

Attached File  Screenshot 2017-08-07 21.35.24.png   515.63KB   8 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot 2017-08-07 21.35.01.png   435.12KB   8 downloads

Formerly "SweetPlanks."

#2 moe ghoul

moe ghoul

Silent..but shredly.

• PASR Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts
  • Home Mtn: Smuggs

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

Never heard bindings squeak before. Never saw space between properly mounted binding and ski. That alone is a potential for moisture getting into the screw holes and/or vibrating loose over time. They may require a shim, or need to be remounted.

#3 SallyCat

SallyCat

Making Turns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Just didn't seem right (the gap). 

If I have to remount, I'm going to get different bindings. The heel lever problem is super sketchy, and nothing about these bindings gives me confidence. Will contact Salomon and see what they say. 

Formerly "SweetPlanks."

#4 GrilledSteezeSandwich

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Gold Medalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,320 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

They messed up...end of story.
  • guitar73 likes this

#5 moe ghoul

moe ghoul

Silent..but shredly.

• PASR Supporter
  • 4,810 posts
  • Home Mtn: Smuggs

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Just didn't seem right (the gap). 

If I have to remount, I'm going to get different bindings. The heel lever problem is super sketchy, and nothing about these bindings gives me confidence. Will contact Salomon and see what they say. 

That's a good idea. Check with your local ski shops if they handle Salomon warranty issues as well. Let us know the outcome, hopefully they'll take the bindings back and credit you for a new set if its a manufacturing defect.

• SallyCat likes this

#6 SallyCat

SallyCat

Making Turns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

Funny, I posted the same question on PugSki prior to posting here and didn't get any replies.  Then just now there was an angry flurry.

I made a half joke about giving the bindings a bad review and the whole thread went to DEFCON 1 ALERT.  A bunch of people piled on about how Salomon is a "good company" (no argument from me there, btw.) and that their other bindings have been around forever and are great. So I shouldn't write a bad review of these bindings. 

It feels like they're trying to gaslight me. Funny and strange bit of intense brand loyalty there!

• RootDKJ and guitar73 like this

Formerly "SweetPlanks."

#7 GrilledSteezeSandwich

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Gold Medalist

• Members
  • 51,320 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

SallyCat how did you find out about Pugski? Philpug used to post on PASR and came to blue mountain back in 2007 because he lost a bet with me.

#8 SallyCat

SallyCat

Making Turns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

SallyCat how did you find out about Pugski? Philpug used to post on PASR and came to blue mountain back in 2007 because he lost a bet with me.

I think when Epic closed down I heard about it. My first year skiing I had a LOT of questions, so I read forums pretty regularly. Thanks to Epic members, e.g., I now have a whole tuning workshop in my basement and can take care of everything on my skis except base grinds and binding work. 

• guitar73 likes this

Formerly "SweetPlanks."

#9 GrilledSteezeSandwich

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Gold Medalist

• Members
  • 51,320 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

I think when Epic closed down I heard about it. My first year skiing I had a LOT of questions, so I read forums pretty regularly. Thanks to Epic members, e.g., I now have a whole tuning workshop in my basement and can take care of everything on my skis except base grinds and binding work.

Wow just wow I've been skiing since 1991 and atomic Jeff tunes my skis a few times a ski season but I often go 20-30 days between tunes. Unless it's sticky spring snow I can deal with no wax as I have plenty of mass to go fast.

You sound handy..do you do your own oil changes??

Sally hopefully we see a lot of you at Blue on Saturday and Sunday mornings and night skiing this season

#10 SallyCat

SallyCat

Making Turns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

Wow just wow I've been skiing since 1991 and atomic Jeff tunes my skis a few times a ski season but I often go 20-30 days between tunes. Unless it's sticky spring snow I can deal with no wax as I have plenty of mass to go fast.

You sound handy..do you do your own oil changes??

Sally hopefully we see a lot of you at Blue on Saturday and Sunday mornings and night skiing this season

Actually I'm not at all handy by nature, having grown up in the suburbs of Long Island with parents that always just "called a guy" to fix stuff, and then becoming a historian/teacher. It was mostly just wanting to have well-tuned skis and not having a lot of money. But I've really enjoyed the learning process and I love being able to take care of my gear. It's a very pleasant zen-like escape from grading and planning to go down in the basement with a beer, listen to a podcast, and so some waxing and tuning. 

I will definitely be at Blue as much as possible this winter. Look forward to meeting some PASRS!

• RidgeRacer, GrilledSteezeSandwich, NMSKI and 1 other like this

Formerly "SweetPlanks."

#11 guitar73

guitar73

Super-G Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Home Mtn: Blue Mtn & Bear Creek

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

Unless it's sticky spring snow I can deal with no wax as I have plenty of mass to go fast.

Don't need to tune your skis when you don't make turns! :ph34r:

• mbike-ski, toast21602, GrilledSteezeSandwich and 2 others like this
life's too short to not ski.

#12 GrilledSteezeSandwich

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Gold Medalist

• Members
  • 51,320 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

Don't need to tune your skis when you don't make turns! :ph34r:

I make turns out west when it's steep enough that I need speed control. Nothing at Blue requires turns.

I hyper carve the hell out of the middle turn on switchback and on nightmare to dream weaver. Wooo
  • guitar73 likes this

#13 Johnny Law

Johnny Law

Bronze Medalist

• Members
  • 4,053 posts
  • Home Mtn: Little Gap

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

DIN soles will squeak in a AT binding if the toe height is wrong.

Different DIN is because the forward pressure is jacked and the only way it could hit the actual release value is to dick with the indicator settings. Your also moving around in the binding because as the ski flexes the binding is moving around too much and your loosing forward pressure. Older soli bindings used to do this with the wing screws.

The mount may or may not be bad, the gap could be as simple as they needed to run the screw in a bit deeper but it's more likely the hole is stripped. If it's stripped you can either move the binding or drop a heli-coil in. Above avg shops can do heli-coils sometimes.

This isn't Solly fault, it's whomever mounted them did a quarter ass job and didn't even bother to cover it up properly.

This is why I say almost anyone can mount their own shit, it's eight holes. Nobody is going to care about your shit more than you, take your time, get the right bit and a good number 3 pozi driver and you'll do a way better job than 90% of shops.

• toast21602 and SallyCat like this

#14 SallyCat

SallyCat

Making Turns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

This is why I say almost anyone can mount their own shit, it's eight holes. Nobody is going to care about your shit more than you, take your time, get the right bit and a good number 3 pozi driver and you'll do a way better job than 90% of shops.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to learn to do my own mounts. I can always just bring it to a shop for a release test. Way cheaper than a mount anyway. 

Formerly "SweetPlanks."

#15 guitar73

guitar73

Super-G Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

um, most ppl don't know the minutia of how bindings work and how they are supposed to be mounted. that's why there are ski shops with ppl who are trained to do such things. for me, i wouldn't touch my bindings with a ten foot pole unless i got the proper training.

• GrilledSteezeSandwich likes this

#16 GSSucks

GSSucks

GS racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Home Mtn: Snowbird

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

um, most ppl don't know the minutia of how bindings work and how they are supposed to be mounted. that's why there are ski shops with ppl who are trained to do such things. for me, i wouldn't touch my bindings with a ten foot pole unless i got the proper training.

With the right bindings and a little bit of mechanical aptitude it is really easy, I have mounted plenty of skis over the past few years. Granted I also design mechanical things for a living, so that may help my case. 

• guitar73 likes this
GoPro’s may be the worst thing that ever happened to the internet.

#17 toast21602

toast21602

A bad day of skiing is still better than a good day of anything

• Staff
  • 15,737 posts
  • Home Mtn: Blue Mountain

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

With the right bindings and a little bit of mechanical aptitude it is really easy, I have mounted plenty of skis over the past few years. Granted I also design mechanical things for a living, so that may help my case. 

I don't and I centered a binding with a make shift plumb bob millionaire. It can be done if you have two hands and a brain and a friend with the drill bit.

• GSSucks and guitar73 like this
*this post may contain sarcasm*

#18 guitar73

guitar73

Super-G Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

I don't and I centered a binding with a make shift plumb bob millionaire. It can be done if you have two hands and a brain and a friend with the drill bit.

oh, I'm not saying one can't physically mount a binding...I'm talking about understanding how to correctly set the binding such that the installation is in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions and tolerances. those issues are what help keep the manufacturer's warranty in place, among other things. more power to you if you are willing to take on that risk to figure out how to get the binding correctly set, getting the proper spacing btwn heel and toe piece, maintaining the proper clearances around the heel and toe lugs of the boots, etc.

I'm sure there is lots to be said for being able to have such control of your set-up in order to precisely get the settings you feel is the best for how you ski and in what type of terrain you ski. for me, I trust the shop tech to have a handle on these things based on the information I provide.

I say all this in the context that I am a risk-adverse person, lol!

#19 GrilledSteezeSandwich

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Gold Medalist

• Members
  • 51,320 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

What toast doesn't mention is he's friends with Justo who used to work at Nestors.
  • guitar73 likes this

#20 GSSucks

GSSucks

GS racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Home Mtn: Snowbird

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

Its not rocket science, most ski techs are high as a kite 95% of the time and paid $12 an hour, do you think they really care? Clearly they dont, see the OP's problem above...... 

• RootDKJ likes this
GoPro’s may be the worst thing that ever happened to the internet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bindings, Salomon Warden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users