Weekend roll call thread 3/17-3/18

9 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

That's my thinking but I am asking them to put some skin in the game and contribute $10 each from their allowances if we are going to pay for Elk rather than skiing Blue for free.

See where they come out. 

Just pay for them. They're your kids. My dad pays for me when we golf and I'm 38. You should also have them contribute towards gas, wear and tear on your car and juice bags 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Pay to ski Elk so your fucking kids get to experience it you cheap fuck. If you charge your kids to ski Elk, you’re banned from Sausage Sundays forever.

Thanks for the parenting advice. I have spent thousands of dollars on my kids skiing and am taking them to CO in 8 days. It is not about me being cheap (where do you think their $ comes from? I could stop giving allowance if I want to be cheap, but no I am about to raise it again in 5 weeks on their bday). It is about giving them opportunities to spend money to enrich their lives as well and show that skiing is worth something to them, not just always a free gift from Dad.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Thanks for the parenting advice. I have spent thousands of dollars on my kids skiing and am taking them to CO in 8 days. It is not about me being cheap (where do you think their $ comes from? I could stop giving allowance if I want to be cheap, but no I am about to raise it again in 5 weeks on their bday) it is about giving them opportunities to spend money to enrich their lives as well and show that skiing is worth something to them, not just always a free gift from Dad.

Not to be nosy but what kind of money do kids get for allowance these days. My highest allowance was $3 a week when I was 12 and then I got a paper route and always worked from there on out.  

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Just pay for them. They're your kids. My dad pays for me when we golf and I'm 38. You should also have them contribute towards gas, wear and tear on your car and juice bags 

And they have gone skiing over 40 times on my dime. A trip to Elk when you figure in all those things will easily cost me $100 more than a trip to Blue. $10 each is a token contribution, out of over $300 they each have saved from allowances.

My philosophy is to provide the basics but ask them to contribute to do something more luxurious than normal. And given that I define the basics as including skiing every weekend, they make out ok. 

• Like 2

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Not to be nosy but what kind of money do kids get for allowance these days. My highest allowance was $3 a week when I was 12 and then I got a paper route and always worked from there on out.  

$5 a week at age 10. So they spend 2 weeks allowance to get to Ski Elk once.

3 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

$5 a week at age 10. So they spend 2 weeks allowance to get to Ski Elk once.

Not worth it for them in my opinion.  Every day of their lives they've skied for free why would they wanna drop two weeks of allowance on that.  Is their allowance going up to $5,50 or an even $6

3 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Thanks for the parenting advice. I have spent thousands of dollars on my kids skiing and am taking them to CO in 8 days. It is not about me being cheap (where do you think their $ comes from? I could stop giving allowance if I want to be cheap, but no I am about to raise it again in 5 weeks on their bday). It is about giving them opportunities to spend money to enrich their lives as well and show that skiing is worth something to them, not just always a free gift from Dad.

Blah, blah, blah, whatever. You’re a cheap SOB. It’s probably your last chance to take to them Elk probably EVER, cause we all know there’s no way in hell you’ll ever pay for three tickets to ski there. But you’ll take them to Blue instead when you tell them they won’t have to subsidize your ticket out of their allowance if you go there. 

Like 10 year olds need to understand spending their money vs a gift from dad. They’re fucking kids. It’s not a gift from you anyway, it’s a gift from the state of Pennsylvania Ski association or whatever. I’m sure the best gift you’ve ever given them is two christmases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Blah, blah, blah, whatever. You’re a cheap SOB. It’s probably your last chance to take to them Elk probably EVER, cause we all know there’s no way in hell you’ll ever pay for three tickets to ski there. But you’ll take them to Blue instead when you tell them they won’t have to subsidize your ticket out of their allowance if you go there. 

Like 10 year olds need to understand spending their money vs a gift from dad. They’re fucking kids. It’s not a gift from you anyway, it’s a gift from the state of Pennsylvania Ski association or whatever. I’m sure the best gift you’ve ever given them is two christmases.

And Ski2Live is actually enriching himself by getting to ski with his kids cause in a couple years they will be off hanging out at the mall with their friends and being ogled at by older boys.  

I know when I started skiing regularly in middle school it was $19 for lift ticket and rental at Blue and my mom would just write a check to the ski club and give me like $10 for food and I'd usually only spend $6-7.  

1 minute ago, enjoralas said:

Probably is their only chance to go to Elk, which I explained to them, because after the Ski PA deal is up we will more likely go to Catskills if we want to go that far. I barely ever go to Elk for that reason. But they go to Winter Park next weekend which should be quite an experience for them.

My parents stopped paying for my skiing after my 3 group lessons at Spring Mt.

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I never got allowance and had to work for anything if I wanted it. I still do that. I turned out okay. 

Well I got an allowance for doing household chores. 

Between school and being a paper boy, mowing lawns, working at Rita's and fast food and telemarketing, I worked a hell of a lot harder as a teenager than I do now. I definitely don't miss those days..being a grown up is better. 

13 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Not worth it for them in my opinion.  Every day of their lives they've skied for free why would they wanna drop two weeks of allowance on that.  Is their allowance going up to $5,50 or an even $6

In which case we won't go. It is really to give them a change of pace, I don't need the extra drive for Elk myself.

Haven't decided what it goes up to, one or the other. Ironically if they decide to spend the money, I am more likely to boost their allowance more.

When they are just hoarding it it seems less like they need it.

53 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

That's my thinking but I am asking them to put some skin in the game and contribute $10 each from their allowances if we are going to pay for Elk rather than skiing Blue for free.

See where they come out. 

Do you take 30% of their ice cream to teach them about taxes?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

In which case we won't go. It is really to give them a change of pace, I don't need the extra drive for Elk myself.

Haven't decided what it goes up to, one or the other. Ironically if they decide to spend the money, I am more likely to boost their allowance more.

When they are just hoarding it it seems less like they need it.

Hoarding money is what kids do.  I was a much better saver as a kid than I am now.  Anyway it's interesting to read about since I'll never have kids..

56 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

If you're lucky, they'll show their gratitude by someday passing the stoke on to their kids!

24 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Is hoarding a new term for saving?  Do you encourage them to save for the future?

I do. I act as their bank and give them 10% interest on what they have saved each year to encourage saving. But I think they have gone too far in that direction (they each have saved over $300 from allowances) and am trying to give them occasions to spend money for extras rather than handing them everything on a silver platter. Learning to handle money involves making spending decisions as well as saving. 

Does their 

13 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I do. I act as their bank and give them 10% interest on what they have saved each year to encourage saving. But I think they have gone too far in that direction (they each have saved over $300 from allowances) and am trying to give them occasions to spend money for extras rather than handing them everything on a silver platter. Learning to handle money involves making spending decisions as well as saving. 

Does their mom also give them allowance??  Get them real savings accounts. I've had one since I was 5. I used to really rack up the savings as a young kid at Xmas and bdays. A real bank account will show them what interest is like in 2018 not 1979 like the 10% you give them now.  When I was ten I had a major interest in salaries and would look at stats on average incomes in different areas and by different professions. I wanted to be a brain surgeon back then because it paid like $400,000 a year.  

I think the the fact that they are twins neither one is gonna want to have less money than the other which will make them hoard even more.