Camelback Trip Report 1/1/2024

saltyant

At Camelback, greatest mountain in the world, rode with some eccentric old guy that was probably abducted by aliens. He says Camelback can't blow a lot of snow because they only have one snowmaking retention pond which is near the new Sullivan Six pack, and apparently the pond was full of mud recently! Everyone pray for rain so Camelback can refill its one snowmaking pond!

Skiing was pretty good for the first hour and a half. Hump and Asp were very nice, just a little mashed perdatery on the flat run back to the lift. King Tut was garbage. The greens off the Nastar Glenn lift were nice and found some fresh courdoroy around 10 am. Once everyone found that area it got a little chunky. Overall a grate day at Camelback and exceeded my expectations until around 11 am. 

IMG_20240101_101639924.thumb.jpg.7fcaf241ecd4cfa9c8ca2ae8f706fa93.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Boner City 1

26 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Thanks for the report Salty, I was just about to ask you how camelback has been this season.  Looks like they have more base than Blue. 

Without trollin', I objectively think Camelback currently offers a better skiing experience than Blue the True (not factoring in PASR shenanigans). That'll change next week if we get some cold weather.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

At Camelback, greatest mountain in the world, rode with some eccentric old guy that was probably abducted by aliens. He says Camelback can't blow a lot of snow because they only have one snowmaking retention pond which is near the new Sullivan Six pack, and apparently the pond was full of mud recently! Everyone pray for rain so Camelback can refill its one snowmaking pond!

Skiing was pretty good for the first hour and a half. Hump and Asp were very nice, just a little mashed perdatery on the flat run back to the lift. King Tut was garbage. The greens off the Nastar Glenn lift were nice and found some fresh courdoroy around 10 am. Once everyone found that area it got a little chunky. Overall a grate day at Camelback and exceeded my expectations until around 11 am. 

IMG_20240101_101639924.thumb.jpg.7fcaf241ecd4cfa9c8ca2ae8f706fa93.jpg

That man lies, there is an even larger snowmaking pond behind the tubing hill.  Also a pump station at the creek accessed from behind the residential ski condos right around the sharp bend before the parking lit.

Edited by DiMe
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DiMe said:

That man lies, there is an even larger snowmaking pond behind the tubing hill.  Also a pump station at the creek accessed from behind the residential ski condos right around the sharp bend before the parking lit.

He reminded me of one of those crazy conspiracy theorist guys from GTA San Andreas or disaster movies. Like he was a character straight outta a Vidya game.

He might have said the water ponds for those are used for other purposes, but I don't really recall exactly what he was talking about.

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

He reminded me of one of those crazy conspiracy theorist guys from GTA San Andreas or disaster movies. Like he was a character straight outta a Vidya game.

He might have said the water ponds for those are used for other purposes, but I don't really recall exactly what he was talking about.

Will you be at the Camel at all mid week this week?  I believe I will check it out for some laps since Blue The True announced the terrain park will be closed January 2-5 for snowmaking and a refresh.  Lets do some laps!

4 minutes ago, DiMe said:

Will you be at the Camel at all mid week this week?  I believe I will check it out for some laps since Blue The True announced the terrain park will be closed January 2-5 for snowmaking and a refresh.  Lets do some laps!

I won't but TFTI

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, DiMe said:

@saltyant dime was a snowmaker at camelback back in the 80s, he knows. JK lol

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

Without trollin', I objectively think Camelback currently offers a better skiing experience than Blue the True (not factoring in PASR shenanigans). That'll change next week if we get some cold weather.

How does the trash carpet compare? Enquiring minds. 

43 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Didn't really notice so I guess Camelback is cleaner. Will have to count the aluminum cans on the ground next time

Thanks salty!!  I heard that camelback has been pretty good so far this season. Was talking to a guy in the Blue lot saturday Eating a banana who said he was there on 12/22 and said that the Nile mile isn’t open yet. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Thanks salty!!  I heard that camelback has been pretty good so far this season. Was talking to a guy in the Blue lot saturday Eating a banana who said he was there on 12/22 and said that the Nile mile isn’t open yet. 

Any time! @DiMe sometimes says that Nile Mile is now at Blue Mountain, on Trail Coming Soon or something. So this season I can ski Nile Mile at both Blue and Camelback!!

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Any time! @DiMe sometimes says that Nile Mile is now at Blue Mountain, on Trail Coming Soon or something. So this season I can ski Nile Mile at both Blue and Camelback!!

You are correct!  Maybe you will notice the similarities I see as to why I dub a Nile Mile also at Blue.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yup and the Nile river runs under lower paradise.  I think it’s rad that blue will soon have an Egyptian theme as well. They’re going to have to order another camel costume.  @saltyant are you a furry fucker or was that somebody else?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mixilplix said:

@saltyant did you see @RajeevGuptaSucheeta there?

Mixilplix happy new year and thanks for bringing up Rajeev it has been long time since he has stopped in. Last I heard he was in Mumbai for the monsoon to help his relatives who can’t swim get across the river.  Then he travelled to hill station to do snowboard and his sister Jaya make good goat.  His cousins own the Dunkin’ Donuts in tobyhanna. Plenty of Boston cream when Rajeev is in town. 

• Boner City 1

@saltyantThis weekend may be just the time to take advantage of the super duper VIP exclusive Blue/Camel ultimate combo seasons pass.  We can get a full hour of First tracks deep Pocono perder while the regular ticket peasants just have ti watch and drool from the base area.

Edited by DiMe
  • Boner City 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Mixilplix happy new year and thanks for bringing up Rajeev it has been long time since he has stopped in

Hard to believe Rajeev hasn't posted anything since last year. Next time I go to Camelback I'll go to the Dunkin' Donuts in Tobyhanna to stop in and say halo,and to ask Rajeev to serve me a Boston Cream donut.

26 minutes ago, DiMe said:

@saltyantThis weekend may be just the time to take advantage of the super duper VIP exclusive Blue/Camel ultimate combo seasons pass.  We can get a full hour of First tracks deep Pocono perder while the regular ticket peasants just have ti watch and drool from the base area.

That would be grate but I don't feel like waking up early to shovel that crap. Maybe next storm.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Hard to believe Rajeev hasn't posted anything since last year. Next time I go to Camelback I'll go to the Dunkin' Donuts in Tobyhanna to stop in and say halo,and to ask Rajeev to serve me a Boston Cream donut.

You might prefer a cream delight instead…it’s a whiter cream..Boston cream isn’t really cream it’s custard lol but don’t want this conversation to become to off pudding lol

• Confused 1