Broken Ski Lift at Camelback on Powder Day 2024

saltyant

Posted (edited)

Ski to lift #2 which was unnecessarily delayed again. Supposed to open at 8 am. Ski patrol has to do their """'checks""" on the big massive Sunbowl area before opening it, which apparently takes until 815 am or later. It's so treacherous and wide, there could be cliffs or snow snakes they have to check for. So had to hike back up and earn turns.

IMG_20240107_081137458.thumb.jpg.1e9c3f4bb5dbf32f11b15b3dad6d3464.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Looks like blue 

Does Blue have its 3 lifts turning? There are 2 here sitting idle which should be turning. Camelback sure knows how to keep selling its $100 tickets to unsuspecting patrons on their way to stand in like for 45 minutes per run.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

Camelback looks like it has this great lift infrastructure but the truth is they only really have two lifts. They hardly ever run their fixed-grips which should make for great congestion relievers, or backups. But they just hate turning the things on. My feeling was always that they wanted to get rid of them. It's like they hate those fixed-grip lifts.

Edited by EdBacon
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

Camelback looks like it has this great lift infrastructure but the truth is they only really have two lifts. They hardly ever run their fixed-grips which should make for great congestion relievers, or backups. But they just hate turning the things on. My feeling was always that they wanted to get rid of them. It's like they hate those fixed-grip lifts.

Funny thing is, they had Old Bailey fixed grip running on a day when the crowds were a small fraction of what they were today. I rode it a few times just for the solitude, the main lift was only a 1 or 2 minute wait. Then today it's not in play.

When the main lift wouldn't work at 730 some workers went over to shovel Old Bailey out, but then dropped that plan once the main lift began working again. Due to the massive crowds it's ridiculous they didn't open Bailey. It still would have been insanely crowded overall but at least they would have shown some more effort into dealing with the demand. Would have given those who paid $100 plus dollars another option.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

They could have put more effort into getting Nile Mile open at least instead of the glen area which is basically a waste of time to ski. That would at least give them a second high capacity lift and spread the masses out a bit. The biggest issue seems to be greed from overselling tickets, so then everyone has a bad time.

Edited by saltyant

19 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

I feel like they hate the fixed grip lifts.  I like the nastar Glenn lift..a nice respite between the chaos of the Stevenson and the Sullivan. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I feel like they hate the fixed grip lifts.  I like the nastar Glenn lift..a nice respite between the chaos of the Stevenson and the Sullivan. 

It usually is a respite but not today... No one was in line for closed Glenn lift at 920 so I took a coffee break, being told it would open at 10 am (a lie). Came back at 950 and everyone and their brother and uncle and cousin and first cousin was in line. Then 10am projected start time passed and lift was stationary. 1005 I took the shuttle back to my car. I'm sure the first run down was really sick since rumour has it the lift eventually opened, but not worth 30 minute waits and then a long lift ride sitting butt to nutt with some random dude in a 2 person chair.

Edited by saltyant

9 minutes ago, saltyant said:

They could have put more effort into getting Nile Mile open at least instead of the glen area which is basically a waste of time to ski. That would at least give them a second high capacity lift and spread the masses out a bit. The biggest issue seems to be greed from overselling tickets, so then everyone has a bad time.

Is pocono raceway still part of the Glen area and is it open?  Did camelback get any new terrain open since your last adventure to the resort?  

I skied Camelback as my local mountain for two years and I think I saw the triple running once, and the Marc Antony double running never in that time. That was like 7-8 years ago. Bailey at least gets used semi-regularly since it loads right by the main lodge, but they still use it frustratingly intermittently. Like I can't roll up on any given crowded weekend assuming it will be running. Sometimes it is, sometimes its not. 

The Glen lift area makes sense they'll open since it accesses the terrain park. You can't really use it for anything else though. 

Camelback has the bones of a decent ski area if they ever ran it right.

Edited by EdBacon
  • Thanks 1

Just now, saltyant said:

It usually is a respite but not today... No one was in line for Glenn lift at 920 so I took a coffee break. Came back at 950 and everyone and their brother and uncle and cousin and first cousin was in line. Then 10am passed and lift was stationary. 1005 I took the shuttle back to my car. I'm sure the first run down was really sick but not worth 30 minute waits and then a long lift ride sitting butt to nutt with some random dude in a 2 person chair.

Wow just wow it sure sounds like a lot of Tom dick and Harry’s were in line. The tram at Jackson hole is true butt to nuts..most uncomfortable lift ride unless you at least get on the window or a rare one that’s not full.  And half the people wear backpacks which makes it tighter.. @saltyant how much snow did you get in hazleton and did camelback receive more?

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Did you have to drive over any plow banks to get out of your cul Da sac?  That’s the sort of thing Subarus are known for..not mine..I don’t have the ground clearance 

Yeah, I think so. Since I own a Subaru I don't really look to see how deep the snow is, it just goes.

• Like 1