BC Showdown Comments

snorovr

It was a huge turnout. Props to BC - there was some really sick stuff being thrown. Sugary conditions are much better than rock hard pack. so I dunno. I thought it was really nice set up. Although the first jump was tiny and way to far from the judges table.

I think it is time for BC to run those comps like the big boys. Age groups and an "open" category. Props to the girls who were there!!

What novice can throw 3's ?? I saw experts straight lining and 50/50 ... Intermediates got screwed by kids corking this and that. It was all mixed up.. With the size of that turnout, for a weekday night - the format has to be one run.. best of luck!!!! go big or go home. :)

Also - could there be an announcer that knows what the manuevers are or count the rotations? skiers going fakie? or 360 onto a box??

just because you dont have a ton of snow to work with doesnt mean that the lips onto the rails need to launch you two feet up only to slam down onto the rail. quarterpipe/mailbox feature was fun,

Are you talking about the handrail? It had a 2 or 3 foot gap and yes, you could land well out onto the rail, but doesn't that show skill on a technical level when you launch out an on and then stay on it the whole way? Just asking, because one of the most frequent complaints that I hear at other rail sessions are no lips, no gaps and that rail had both. :confused

That quaterpipe was awesome, as the night progressed there was some really cool stuff being thrown on it. Who was the rider that launched it 8 foot up in the air and flipped what looked like twice?

Are you talking about the handrail? It had a 2 or 3 foot gap and yes, you could land well out onto the rail, but doesn't that show skill on a technical level when you launch out an on and then stay on it the whole way? Just asking, because one of the most frequent complaints that I hear at other rail sessions are no lips, no gaps and that rail had both. :confused

he was saying that the lip onto it kicked you up too high... not that he thought it should be ride-on with no gap at all.

anyone who has any footage from the comp i need it please... find some way to get it to me.. hte two best ways are emailing me the raw uncompressed footage to swdorsey@yahoo.com or give your mini dv tape to park crew with your name... i will give back your tapes but the more footage i get teh better the video will be... thanks for your cooperation

Is Blue's park better than Bear Creeks right now??? I think Blues park is the best its ever been and that what everybody is saying.

I was at Blue earlier this week and the park it ok. Nothing special. Only thing they have over BC right now is jumps because they have more snow. BC rails are better.

I was at Blue earlier this week and the park it ok. Nothing special. Only thing they have over BC right now is jumps because they have more snow. BC rails are better.

Nothing special? Say that once Bear has a better park.

1) Blue has had the pipe open for more than 2 weeks... where is Bear's?

2) Blue has at least three 40ft+ jumps... Bear has ughhh...???

3) Blue has more than a 3 inch base.

4) Bear's park is loaded with dirt jibs.

Don't say its nothing special when it is 10x better than what Bear has out now. Not that i dont like Bear's park, because I do when it is like last years.... but right now it is pretty much nonexistant.

Edited by toast21602

1) Blue has had the pipe open for more than 2 weeks... where is Bear's?

The pipe at Blue isn't very good at all. Over vert in some parts, chunky in spots, icy in others. It not even worth the ride through.

2) Blue has at least three 40ft+ jumps... Bear has ughhh...???
I said Blue has better jumps. BC has better rails with better setups to them.

Don't say its nothing special when it is 10x better than what Bear has out now. Not that i dont like Bear's park, because I do when it is like last years.... but right now it is pretty much nonexistant.

For the weather conditions BC park is fine. They have a ton of rails and boxes out and a decent kicker. And if BC keeps the park like it was last night for the comp I'd say its better then Blues outright.

Once mother nature decides to remember that its winter BC park is going to be nuts with all the new gear they got.

blue has bear beat on jumps now no doubt but everyone knows thats just because they have more snow.

i dont know about blues new rails but the stairset is kinda useless guys i mean its so short so yeah. Bears rails are good and the setups keep getting better.

Bear keeps redoing their park about every 2 weeks and blues stays the same with the exception of a few moved rails.

Bear has a higher quality rail selection to work with when building their parks.

blue has a pipe and bear doesnt so blue wins there as well but id bet that bear will have a better pipe once it opens because bear has invested in alot of stuff to keep its pipe in better shape. as we saw last year a zuagg is a start but doesnt gagantee a good park

in conclusion go to blue for now if you are buying a ticket but bear has some crazy plans for their park this year once we get some base to work with. i cant speak for blue because i dont know their plans but i have a feeling that bear will put out a much better park come febuary 1st until the end of the season.

For the weather conditions BC park is fine. They have a ton of rails and boxes out and a decent kicker. And if BC keeps the park like it was last night for the comp I'd say its better then Blues outright.

you cant seriously believe that what they had set up for the comp last night was better what Blue has now. a 10ft table? be real son.

have you been to Blue since three years ago?

well, seeing as how i skied at both yesterday, i can give a pretty accruate report. the park that the comp was on was smaller than blue's beginner park. blue's beginner park has a bigger jump than the hit on the bigger park at bear right now. all of blue's rails in the upper park have nice mellow lips onto them, with the exception of the battleship box (not enough snow to put it on a table, so they say.) the lips are just big enough so that you have to pop a little to get onto the rail, you can still spin onto any of the rails, and the lips arent so huge that you slam down on the rail. everything i hit at bear, with the exception of the u box, was either ride on or had what seemed like a booter for a lip onto the rail. the flat handrail on the comp course had a lip that kicked you up super high only to slam back down onto the rail. something like that should have been set up like a handrail, as i am sure it was originally intended. real mellow lip so you have to ollie up onto the thing, not have to worry about how much of the rail you are going to clear and then risk blowing out your edge because you hit so hard. the bigger flat box was the same way. its no wonder little singer was trying 450s on an nearly clearing the rail; the lips had way too much kick to them. the jump was a joke as well. i realize bear's hurting for snow, but they had a bigger jump in the other park, why not have the comp over there where there's more options for better features instead of having it on cascade? the mailbox qp was the best set up feature, in my opinion. the transition was nice, you could hit it from the sides as a rail, or use it as a qp and air it or stall on the mailbox. burton kid or whatever your username is, like toast said, have you been to blue lately? on the bottom portion of sidewinder, you can get a line that goes flat down flat rail, downkink box, 30 foot stepdown, hip, staircase. thats only half of the trail, and flows better than anything bear has right now. i realize we have more snow, but it doesnt require a more snow to build a lip onto a rail properly. not having jumps is excusable, but the way more of the rails are set up is not. that setup for the comp last night was weak, plain and simple.

hey justin, im not sure u understand what the comp was for, it was susposed to be small. It was susposed to be a little style jump, and we didnt really expect anyone to try and even do a big trick on it, i think the course was fine, i had no problem with the lips being the way they were, and i like the ollie on set ups my self but it wouldnt work for a contest with 130+ people. too much pop or not, u guys did fine, last time i checked we change our lips every few days, i guess it wasnt ur favorite in the contest, sorry, but yea id have to agree with dorsey that once we have snow, it will be beyond insane over here

yeah i realize that it was focused on style, and you had very little snow to work with, so the jump wasnt really my main concern. i just didnt think the rails were set up as well as they could have been, or have been in the past few weeks at bear. there were landings, but you landed way past them and landed flat. stuff just wasnt set up smoothly in my opinion. also, if it was focused on style, how did the kid who got third end up getting third? his entire run was hucked and haggard. a 9 on a ten foot jump? props to the kid for being able to get it around, but it was probably the most hucked spin i have ever seen. he didnt look solid on the rails at all either. call me bitter for not getting into the finals if you want, but i think i put down a solid, clean run. sure, it wasnt as difficult as some others, but i didnt fall and i stomped all my landings clean. hamil was more deserving than me anyway, but he didnt make it in either. whatever, i'm just hoping the next comp goes a little smoother. maybe they wont change the format halfway through again.

I do know that Bear Creek is advertising every week in Pulseweekly for all these events. I can't wait to see what the slopestyle is going to be like at Blue. I think the park might get featured in a magazine for the fall... :rock

i dunno about that. whoever does public relations at blue doesnt do a very good job in my opinion. and i think that blue should have a ton more comps than they do since they have such a quality park this year. maybe they should spend their money on something else besides tubing.

anyone know the results?

There are 4 parts and points are accumalated for Grand Prizes..

Snowboard Expert Place Points

BE4 Justin Mullen SNBD Expert 1 5

BE7 Michael Anderson SNBD Expert 2 3

BE27 Austin Gregory SNBD Expert 3 2

BE10 Eric Wetherho SNBD Expert 4 1

Skier Expert

SE06 Kevin Thomas Skier Expert 1 5

SE08 Tyler Boyer Skier Expert 2 3

SE03 Ben Faturos Skier Expert 3 2

SE15 Greg Zellner Skier Expert 4 1

12 and Under - Combined ;)

U7 Steven Larick 12 & Under 1 5

U9 Quinn Devlin 12 & Under 2 3

U6 Gunnar Bergey 12 & Under 3 2

U4 Zach Mode 12 & Under 4 1

U8 Ian Wetherhol 12 & Under 4 1

Womens Combined

W6 Kate Wehr Women's 1 5

W1 Danielle Lavery Women's 2 3

W5 Sara Mazzarella Women's 3 2

W4 Laine Cherashor Women's 4 1

There are other divisions - but this was all I had patience to cut and paste - Props to the Females!!!

As a spectator,I thought the comp was rather boring.I think BC could have done a better job.A course that only consisted of four features?They have a rainbow,reverse rainbow,rollercoster,down box,kink rails....why didn't they use any of these?The course could have been way longer w/more features.They should have run it down Black bear park.Props to all the riders but BC should have made it better.

As a spectator,I thought the comp was rather boring.I think BC could have done a better job.A course that only consisted of four features?They have a rainbow,reverse rainbow,rollercoster,down box,kink rails....why didn't they use any of these?The course could have been way longer w/more features.They should have run it down Black bear park.Props to all the riders but BC should have made it better.

yes they could of done better you lets think about this ummmmmmmmmmmm lack of what do they call it im not shure ummm SNOW!