POLL: World Class "Summer" Terrain Park

skier150

Summer Terrain Park  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you visit a "summer" terrain park?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Can I get a job?
  2. 2. If you would visit, how much would you pay for a day pass?

• $10
    • $20
    • $30
    • Would rather have a season pass
  3. 3. If you would visit, how many days per month?

• 1-5
    • 5-10
    • 10-20
    • almost every day!

We are working on opening a "summer" or year round terrain park in the Pocono area. The park will be open year round, seven days a week, day and night. We will be using a type of snow carpet that will be wet during the summer and snow covered during the winter. There will be a halp-pipe, quarter-pipe, rails, boxes, jumps, bumps and tons of other things to have fun on. Competitions, concerts, movie premeiers, and jams will be a regular occurance.

Right now we are trying collect data regarding interest and profitablility, please take the poll or if you have any comments or questions just let me know.

Thanks!

Doug its a real good time man. I spent alot of time on carpet this summer and my comfort level on my skis went way up. Keep in mind I've been skiing since I was 3 so I didn't think I could get more comfortable. I'd love hanging out with skiers year round.

I have not decided on the final material yet, I have a lot of samples here that I have to evaluate further. The cost is in the millions, so we will be using investors and sponsors to help fund the project. This has nothing to do with any mountain in the area at this time. We will start searching for locations this spring, and trying to keep in in the Poconos area.

The material I am using now in my backyard is a decent slide, not as fast as snow... but enough to get things done. The only drawback is that it is not really carvable, so that is why I am looking at other material as well.

I would have to go at least one time to check it out. If it wasn't super crowded I could see going once, maybe twice a month. Definitely once is started getting colder out, late October/early November, and I got antsy to get out there, I could see going more often, but I bet it would be super crowded that time of year.

i think it would be a cool idea to get a mountain involved. that way they could sell year round passes. it would be more expensive, but you'd get to ski year round.

Staffing a resort is expensive... If BC still has thier old tow, it was available for 10k - you only need 10 acres for parking, the hill and some basic concessions. There is a reason why all of these carpet places are in the UK and there are none here... No one yet has proven a return on the dollar. However I feel strongly that parks will continue to become more popular so that makes an year around park more of an option.

Places that already operate year around stand the best chance of making something like this work, too bad CB is so "behind the times" they already have everything needed except a shaped park and the carpet itself.

Good Luck Skier150 - I mean that sincerely... I can give you some more info on a great location tomorrow and some contact info if you are interested.

Edited by Papasteeze

There are so many tourists in the area and it is a novelty so I don't think they will have a problem making a profit, especially it they hold concerts and contests and stuff. The only pitfalls I can think of would be insurance, and the start up cost is huge. But it in a year round business and it will be the only place to ride in the summer. Good luck with this, I'm sure you could pull it off.

Good Luck, skier150. I hope everything works out for you. Even though I don't go in the park, I think it would be cool to have one in the Pocono's.

Thanks

There are so many tourists in the area and it is a novelty so I don't think they will have a problem making a profit, especially it they hold concerts and contests and stuff. The only pitfalls I can think of would be insurance, and the start up cost is huge. But it in a year round business and it will be the only place to ride in the summer. Good luck with this, I'm sure you could pull it off.

Thanks!

Yeah, insurance always sucks the money. We will also be running camps in the summer, and with the plentiful lodging and other attractions in the Poconos it will make a great destination.

Look at all the park rats out there, if the park was good enough it would draw people. u'll have competition from xanadu but apparently they think people will pay to ski in the summer. Although i think xanadu is going to be a bust, its a bunny hill in the summer - it will be terrible. A park in the summer will draw die hards though.