Parks at Blue and Bear - Ideas for next year.

snorovr

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be really fun would be bmx dirt style jumps so u could him one and then go right to the next with a lot of flow. Like really close rollers but bigger with lips.

Thats how Big Boulders is set..its nice u hit one jump go into the next,then go into another one the flow of it is so nice.

thats the plan for Blue next year if they have time in the summer to widen the trail between the wallride and the top of the park

at least tahts what i heard

what else do they do in the summer? unless you mean between the new lodge and trail etc...

from what i hear from the people i know that work there, chich is pretty much everybody, there is a 50/50 chance.

awesome.

everytime i here a 50/50 chance or something i think of dumb and dumber

"id say more like 1 in a million

"so theres still a change!"

I wouldn't put the chance of a park pass at 50/50. As much as I would prefer to have them, it is still a HUGE maybe. It has to be cost effective for the mountain in some way. At alot of resorts out west and in europe, they have turnstiles that provide access to the lifts by scanning a barcode of picking up a magnetic signal of a card. I see this as the best way to control the access to the top of the park. Of course you're still going to have people who jump through with their buddies, but it will cut down on john q. public just wandering in with 6 kids in tow. I know I'm gonna keep pushing a park pass at Blue as hard as I can, and I don't think I need to say why. There is more than enough evidence arguing for passes in previous posts.

from what i hear from the people i know that work there, chich is pretty much everybody, there is a 50/50 chance.

did you hear more on how that would work if it went thru? would the park pass be an additonal charge on top of the season pass or could you just buy it indivisually allowing you to only stay in the park and vice versa? i guess they would have to start checking tickets in line a lot more then.... i hope they go through w/ that because it would allow people who ride in the park feel more comfortable knowing that everyone in there is at least somewhat serious on what they are doing and trying to progress and not having to worry about a father teaching his kid how to ski along the sides... :yes

did you hear more on how that would work if it went thru? would the park pass be an additonal charge on top of the season pass or could you just buy it indivisually allowing you to only stay in the park and vice versa? i guess they would have to start checking tickets in line a lot more then.... i hope they go through w/ that because it would allow people who ride in the park feel more comfortable knowing that everyone in there is at least somewhat serious on what they are doing and trying to progress and not having to worry about a father teaching his kid how to ski along the sides... :yes

Park passes at other mountains usually work as a one time charge on top of either a season or daily pass. There really isn't any way at Blue to sell a park only pass, it would complicate things so much that it wouldn't be worth it.

Doug,

Thanks for that valuable park idea for next year. I'll be sure that it is the first idea I show to management!

IF blue would do a park pass they should do it like mountain creek does it, 5 bucks one time, and have someone at the top of the terrain run to check them. 5 bucks is enough to keep the average joe out of the park.

it would be cool if they built a box like the one in my avatar, a double c

Edited by iluv2ride

IF blue would do a park pass they should do it like mountain creek does it, 5 bucks one time, and have someone at the top of the terrain run to check them. 5 bucks is enough to keep the average joe out of the park.

nah, forget the guy at the top checkin passes. put a little black strip on the back of the passes. have a "station" at the entrance where you swipe the card and the gate opens. gangsta :rock

I'd like to see a big c box set up angled kinda on the side of a bank. That and a down flat down at bear where the J rail was.

:confused Blue has that. Their cbox is shit. Bear's c-box/rail is sexy.

I don't think there'll be a park pass at Blue next season... :wiggle

Doug, is it really that much of an inconvienence to you? Pay 5 bucks for the whole season, and you can get in! It's not to eliminate everyone from entering, but it will GREATLY reduce the weekend warriors from entering. It's all just to make the mountain a better, SAFER place to ride. You can still ski through, hit a jump or two. What i'm saying is- it's not aimed at you- just the idiots.

nah, forget the guy at the top checkin passes. put a little black strip on the back of the passes. have a "station" at the entrance where you swipe the card and the gate opens. gangsta :rock

P-I-M-P :woot

They don't even have people at the lifts checking passes, why would they put someone at the top of the park. Can you imagine how mad you would get if you had to wait in line just to get into the terrain park?

They don't even have people at the lifts checking passes, why would they put someone at the top of the park. Can you imagine how mad you would get if you had to wait in line just to get into the terrain park?

In the end, it would be worth it 100%. There's no debating this. Terrain parks are dangerous places as it is, passes would make them safer by restricting access to those who pose a threat to others (example- sitting in landings, cutting people off , etc). Can you imagine how mad you would get when you get cut off by some 3 year old on a leash wit hdaddy and you got cut off and flew into a tree, and have to stay in the hospital for a few days.

BOTTOM LINE, Park passes are beneficial to everyone, except those who are inconvienced by them,( who shouldn't be in there anyway)

I could go on, but my pop tarts are almost done

Edited by stevo

:yes yeah, that would suck...

the $5 charge would have to be purchased at the beginning of the season or on top of the lift ticket? because if you could purchase it on top of a lift ticket then i don't think that's gonna stop the noobs on the weekends.... they would probably get it still.

Justo nailed it on the head. I went to blue for the first time Friday, and had an absolute blast. I'm so glad I went because I cut school with my best friend & girlfriend and had the best day of snowboarding since getting back from Canada in january. Great way to end the year.

I'd never been to Blue before so I spent a lot of time exploring, but its going to be my home mountain for the next 4 years probably since its closer to my college than Mountain Creek, and I need trails like Challenge & Razors edge for free riding so Bear Creek is out, maybe some day trips but w/e.

Anyway, mixed feelings on the park. My first run through to check it out I was so disappointed. Then I went back and started hitting stuff - here are my impressions.

1) Jibs inventory - the jibs themselves are pretty good, not all quite up to the quality of Mountain Creeks but for the most part equal to what I see around and definately better than the Shawnee/Camelback variety. Plenty of variety, I saw a few weren't up and saw like 5 more rails around. My only issue was the flat-down at the very bottom was so sticky, and the first rail on the top right needs to be trashed becuase its bowed and warped. Basically, good job on the jib inventory, hopefully they'll go through it and throw out some shitty ones, but I liked it

2) Jib setup - basically sucked. I know its the end of the year, but Justo is right. The rails need to be setup differantly. Its not really even the gap, longer gaps and higher gaps are nice but my biggest problem is the width of ramp. They are so damn narrow like 4 feet, some even smaller. basically so narrow you can't hit things from wide out. I like my boarslides with about 6" between my heels or toes and the rail. You can't do that on these, and I've never actually gone straight onto a rail and spun to boardslide before so it was throwing me off, and there is no reason not to make the ramps the full blade of the cat (like 6-8' like mountain creek and bigger mountains) so you can spin approach however you want.

3) Jumps - at first my friend and I were cracking up at the size of the jumps. I realize that its the end of the yar, but those ramps are big enough for like a 40 foot jump and the gap to the knuckle is like 2 feet, but then when I actually started going with the flow of the park they worked out becuase you can't get that much speed in there with all the turns. A perfect example is the up-flat rail and then it comes into the high flat box and then that 2 jump line with the c box on the right. (The c box has to go,) You come in off the up-flat nice but then you have to speed check hardcore for the flat box becuase there is no gap to the rail and you clear it at speed, and then you need a huge ramp to make it to the knuckle becuase its basiclaly flat there.

My main issue with the jumps is the trail, I don't like how there are those jumps and then a turn, if the trail were straighter itd be safer, I can remember skidding down the landings of some jumps before and i'd hate to hit a tree that way. That and the landings are so short for all the jumps.

4) Trail, I have mixed feelings. The pitch and exposure is good, and the snowmaking at blue kicks ass. BUT, sidewinder is a bad trial for a park. But there is no better one. My only other guess is if they took the connecting trail from the quad and then lazy mile, made a jump line on that top trail and then jibs but that isn't a good compromise becuase its so flat. Challenge/Razors are too steep, Paradise is the easy trail off the quad for new people, so it kind of has to be sidewinder as far as i can tell. Butt he windy trail sucks becuase the flow gets thrown off a bit and it sucks if you fall that you can end up in the woods really easy. If they cut it straighter at each corner so it just gets wider and straighter minor turns are fine, but when you you are coming down off a big jump, hitting the wallride, and then trying to make a 90 degree turn to hit a rail, it doesn't flow as well as it could.

In the end, its a good park but has plenty of room for improvment. I hope they do, and judging by everything I saw, they are improving it. I'm going to rate it as 2nd best behind mountain creek, better than shawnee's, even though shawnee sets their rails up better, just beucase you can hit a lot more on the way down at blue than at shawnee. I've never been to Bear Creek and Camelback sucks for park, Hunter's park is so shitty too.

from what i've heard, the turns wont be an issue next year. also, i was told there's going to be a lot more stock flat rails and boxes so there's some sort of middle ground instead of going from easy boxes right into technical rails. the flat down rail up top, as haggard and warped as it is, is still really fun for me, because its nice and long.

from what i've heard, the turns wont be an issue next year. also, i was told there's going to be a lot more stock flat rails and boxes so there's some sort of middle ground instead of going from easy boxes right into technical rails. the flat down rail up top, as haggard and warped as it is, is still really fun for me, because its nice and long.

That flat down box is the smoothest box ever. :drool I love that thing too. :rock I'd like to see (as previously mentioned) Nice, wide lips onto shit. I can't wait to see what improvements they do over the summer. :rolleyes:

really the #1 thing they need to do, without a doubt, is the lip design. Sadly its the least expensive thing they can do too. All they need to do is use a wider ramp and they will be set. Some time soon I will post some pictures, but the differance between the park they have now, and a seriously good park, is a 4foot by 2 foot patch of snow on each side of hte current lip. You just can't get tech on the rails right now.