Helmets

bigdaddyk

As I've said before, I'm going to start looking for a helmet. Another question I came across is, which is better, a full shell or short shell helmet? I sweet easily, so I don't think warmth is a real problem...as a matter of fact I only use my jacket hood and don't wear knit hats. Anybody see any pros / cons for either style of helmet. The latest Consumer Reports article is from 2003 and liste Giro 9 as the best short shell and Leedom Scream high performance as the best full shell.

Edited by bigdaddyk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a 9 and its the comfiest helmet i've tried. like the red hifi^ you can get it with speakers in the ear flaps as well. the flaps are removable, and it has plenty of removable ventilation too. however, while it may be great for me, it might completely suck for you. the best helmet for you is the one that fits snugly and will stay on your head in the event of a crash. try on a few different models before selecting the one you want.

Giro Fuse. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra bones over the 9 to give yourself the adjustable vents. Its so nice to be able to open and close them whenever you want without having to take it off and take out vent plugs which you'll likely lose. One of the most comfy helmets I've worn for sure.

Giro Fuse. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra bones over the 9 to give yourself the adjustable vents. Its so nice to be able to open and close them whenever you want without having to take it off and take out vent plugs which you'll likely lose. One of the most comfy helmets I've worn for sure.

nipples' 9 finish completly disentegrated. Giro is sending another. He is all about RED now.

Im dropping my helmet this year.

I dropped mine last year, unfortunately my head was still in it. may have saved my life judging by the puncture marks in the back of it.

Giro Fuse, lifesaver.

I'll be buying another helmet for this winter but may or may not get another Fuse.

I dropped mine last year, unfortunately my head was still in it. may have saved my life judging by the puncture marks in the back of it.

I have had a helmet for the past 4 years and havent fell on my head once, So now that i can drive, im just gonna store my helmet in my car for trips. I will only wear it when i go somewere other then Sno/Montage.

i've never worn a helmet snowboarding, but i've been thinking and it may not be a bad idea...i never had anything against them, just never tried one

That was pretty much how I felt before last year, but pressure from my kids (and a little common sense) tipped me over the edge to buy one.

I found out that a) they can save your life, or at least a medi-vac ride, b.) they are much better than a hat when it rains and c) you get used to wearing it really quickly.

I wore mine every time out last year, and "used" it 3 times, once my fault, twice otherwise. Only one of these was really serious (the one that was my fault :unsure: ) but all of them would probably have sent me home for the day.

Edited by Timeless

Anybody have any input / opinions on the differences between "full" and "short" helmets? The full come down over your ears and the short only have flaps, from what I've read. Also, I like to where face masks when it gets cold, so would either style make that a problem?

Edited by bigdaddyk

I was tucking the lower half of the mountain with a Race Crew buddy. He was way ahead of me. I noticed some people down but I kept going. He had booted a child in the head. The child was a girl down on the backside of a knoll. He didn't see her till it was too late. The impact knocked him out. When he came to, he was alone in a clinic, he walked out of his room to see the medics pronouncing the little girl dead. NO HELMET!

I wear a helmet playing hockey and biking so last year I figured I'd start wearing one skiing. I put it off for year until I found the Giro Fuse - light, great vents, removaeable ear flaps. I just wish they made an all purpose one instaed of having three - renovable flaps, cage etc., that'd be great to save some $ and storage space. I'm trying to get my son to wear one all the time cuz he's a train wreck!!!

I have a pro-tec b2, with the audio ear flaps. I love it. Like said, it's warmer than a hat, and better than a hat in the rain, plus it protects your head :duh The only bad thing i would have to say, is the audio cable that comes with it isn't great, but you can get others at radio shack. (i'm actually calling up and trying to get one under warranty)