36 hours of keystone

jordan

I just got back from the 36 hours of keystone weekend, and no I didn't ski all 36 hours, but I did ski straight through the night from about 9pm last night till like noon today (15 hours straight) when i called it quits because I was so tired i was afraid I would hurt myself.

For those of you who dont know, 36 hours of keystone is one weekend out of the year where keystone opens up for 36 hours straight (friday morning through saturday night). It was certainly an awesome event, which also included some of the coldest temps i have ever had to endure (it got to about -15F at the summit) But, It was awesome to be able to ski in the wee hours of the morning and then watch the sunrise :)

As an added bonus, this morning, keystone opened the outback for the first time this year, and i even got to hit some pretty deep powder

heres some pics from my little adventure :)

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

i know the river run gondola is over 2K... it may not be 2500 exactly 2500 but whatever... and that is what we were riding all day for the most part. I don't sit there when I go skiing and add up every run and find the exact vertical for every lift i ride...I just throw up an educated guess. I didn't know there was a stats police here, if its that big of a deal, i'll just delete all my stats. Let me know

Jordan

Edit: Sorry, i just did a little research and found that the gondola rises 2340 feet, wow, i feel like such an ass for gyping you guys..

(how come all of my threads involve atomicskier calling me out on something eventually leading to a thread closure)

Edited by jordan

I'm just saying that you should be legit with your vertical stats..2340 isn't 2500..also if you did runs in the Outback area..use that lifts vertical..not the River Run Gondola..I thought your vertical foot numbers for both Loveland and also Breckenridge seemed to also be kind of off..based on the lifts that were open.

I want to see you keep track of stats but just be legit about them..that's all..I welcome you to call me out if I call the quad at Blue 1200 vert... :nana

you're number one, congratulations

Jordan

Not for long..Sibhusky..racks up that vert hardcore...Anyway in an average day of skiing at Jackson Hole I must ski like 40 runs and Jackson Hole is over 4k of vert so that means I ski like 160k of vert... :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

One day that at Jackson Hole that i actually kept track or vert, i had over 60K in one day. (me and a friend of mine did it)

we did 6 on the tram for 24,834 before lunch, after lunch, we did one more on the tram then tried the gondola and found that it is much more efficient in racking up vert... we did the one on the tram after lunch for 4,139 feet then did 12 runs on the gondola (2700 each=32,400) for a grand total of 61,373 vert

If you're actually going to put in numbers for vertical, they shouldn't be guesses. Use your cell phone's memo feature to record what lifts you use, like "111113" might be 5 runs on the quad, and 1 run on the main street lift, and you can add them up aftewards....

or, if you have a data plan on your cell phone like I do, I'm writing a super-low-bandwidth-using live updater of your stats, so someone could watch you ski runs in real time :rofl

Hell Yeah the gondola is definitely the best lift at Jackson Hole for racking up mad steezy vert and I'd say Apres Vous is second best. 4 runs an hour is very easy to do off the Gondola if you ski runs or woods near the gondola...so that's over 10,800 vert in an hour. My best vert day at Jackson Hole was 56k of vert the Thursday of my ski trip there. I was beat from that. One day this season at Blue I want to do a 7:30AM to 10:00PM marathon day and I'm sure a few PASRs would join for part or all of the day..I'd definitely take a few breaks for food...That would be good to do on a Saturday and then sleep late the next day and go night skiing on a Sunday for more runs..

yeah, on the tram at JH, the absolute MAXIMUM amount of runs possible was 15 (2 runs an hour) (assuming a 3 minute load time) So, if you are riding the tram, the max possible vert was 62,000 in a day, which is very possible (you dont have to ski all that fast to beat the tram back down the mountain). But, this is also assuming no breaks for lunch

on the bridger gondola (assuming 4 runs an hour, its possible to do even more) you can do 81,000

jordan

While assuming that 62,000 feet is possible for SOMEONE, I'd say it's unlikely by 95% of this board, even though you are all close to being kids with tons of energy. First of all, you'd never have to stop and pee, which would presumably preclude a lot of hydrating as well, always bad for energy. Also, of course, there's the no lunch thing, but you could always snack on the tram. And of course, the tram would have to always zip up and down on schedule with no delays for any reason. Finally, you have to be in really TOP shape to do that many feet in a day. And frankly, if you did do it, chances are you'd be so beat that you'd call it quits earlier than normal the next day.

I'm 55, so I lay no claim to boundless energy, but my 42k day last year was not too tough to do on the day I did it... I didn't start out the day planning to do it, it just happened. But the next day, if you look in the archives, I only did 21,810 feet. Partly that was due to rain, but mostly it was due to a lack of enthusiasm. So the combination of the two days was only 33-34k feet, lower than most other pairs of days at that time of the season.

If you're actually going to put in numbers for vertical, they shouldn't be guesses. Use your cell phone's memo feature to record what lifts you use, like "111113" might be 5 runs on the quad, and 1 run on the main street lift, and you can add them up aftewards....

or, if you have a data plan on your cell phone like I do, I'm writing a super-low-bandwidth-using live updater of your stats, so someone could watch you ski runs in real time :rofl

Actually, this topic comes up SO often, Atomic, that maybe we should have an "intro page" for people who are just using the stat manager for the first time. They get the intro page right before they enter the first stat, then they don't see it again later. Either that, or some directions off to the side of the data form when you are filling it in.