Sno Mountain Edit!

xNick11

Jeez, freeridintre, your critique only left out how fat and ugly Nick's dead great-grandma was, despite the years of painful cancer operations that only left her weekends to waste time helping at her church.

Ski, I expressed the same things Trevor did, but in an IM to Nick.

If you're going to display your work on here and don't want people to tell you what you did wrong:

1) Make it your best. Why 1/2 ass a job?

2) Be different. Everyone has seen a jib movie with the camera set up behind the jump. Go from different angles, get low on the ground, shadow them as they're going off the jump. Go off the jump with them, go on the rail with them. Static shooting isn't exciting.

3) Good skiing/boarding. That's self explanitory. Some of the stuff should have not been included.

Nick, you got to be able to take constructive criticism. Take everything with a grain of salt, as well. Everything everyone said in this thread is true, just don't get so worked up about it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Trevor's opinion, Jeff. I just teach (photography lectures) and coach (soccer and baseball) with the same method of positive reinforcement. The only player I've ever yelled at was Ty...such is the life of the coach's kid. And I know that everything is totally casual on here and it's not a great comparison, but I'd pull apart Nick's edit and tell him five specific things that were good, then ask him to tell me what he didn't like about some other shots. But that's even assuming he gives a crap what I, or anyone else thinks. Hell, I don't know Nick other than he has much more hair than Metzy and is an awesome jibber. And the vid did capture an amazing moment, with the exchange between a patroller and Sean; that was priceless and doesn't happen very often (eh, well, maybe for Sean it does). I would have loved it if the photog had started walking toward the patroller and Sean during the exchange, just to see if the patroller started to tell him to stop shooting, or whatever. A camera is always a good way to escalate a problem like that.

Sorry ski I wasn't filming then,it happened the run that I had my friend film me for a run so he was the one who had the camera at the time,I wish I filmed that cause I would have been right next to it all.

And Jeff,I don't plan on going off jumps or rails with my camera.If I fall bad when doing that my heads in the camera are pretty much done,I don't have the money to replace that right now.

maybe he just wanted to throw together a quick edit to show ppl who Sno has to offer right now? and didnt put a whole lot of effort into it at all
Not only that,but the clips were real chill,no one did anything big and I just felt like it was going to be a real chill edit and not something I needed to do crazy editing on.

Hey I liked it. I was looking at what was at Sno - not really expecting the sundance film festival when I see things on YouTube anyway.
I only hosted on youtube cause someone asked me to,I usually don't host on their cause it kills your quality.

nice edit. what kind of camera? and that ski patrollers tampon must have been a little too far up in ther cause he flipped shit for no real reason. it wasn't like you ran over someone
I have a Vx21k,and the ski patroler only did that cause Sean was yelling at little kids who shouldn't be in the park.

If you're going to display your work on here and don't want people to tell you what you did wrong:

1) Make it your best. Why 1/2 ass a job?

2) Be different. Everyone has seen a jib movie with the camera set up behind the jump. Go from different angles, get low on the ground, shadow them as they're going off the jump. Go off the jump with them, go on the rail with them. Static shooting isn't exciting.

3) Good skiing/boarding. That's self explanitory. Some of the stuff should have not been included.

Nick, you got to be able to take constructive criticism. Take everything with a grain of salt, as well. Everything everyone said in this thread is true, just don't get so worked up about it.

I started at the bottom of this thread and am working my way up. I had to stop right here and comment. I feel strongly that unless you also post video or pictures you should keep your comments to yourself. Just like trying to critique a ski resort that you have never been to, it isn't right. Unless of course, Martin Scorcese is posting the edit.

Two words.

Color correction.

I feel strongly that unless you also post video or pictures you should keep your comments to yourself.

I feel strongly that unless you have posted a video and have critiqued other's work you should not critique other critiques.

It is a never ending cycle.

A cycle of critiques.

I had to stop right here and comment.

You shouldn't have...

Just like trying to critique a ski resort that you have never been to, it isn't right.

because this isn't a good analogy. Everyone can watch a video, thus has experienced the video, and can form an opinion about the video. So its not really at all like trying to critique something you have no idea about.

I feel strongly that unless you also post video or pictures you should keep your comments to yourself.

and you quoted Jeff, who I thought had some good advice for Nick in helping him get more creative shots, and recently posted pics from his Telluride trip. I think pretty much everyone who has posted in this thread, or most of the others on this board having to do with video or photography, has some experience. Some member's advice might be more helpful than others, but they're all good in helping us to dial in our techniques as guys like Nick, Wezlo, myself, and others get more into shooting.

naaaaaa.. in just toying around, i know how much time and work goes into a small clip.. there are some really good edits out there, I have heard of kids spending 6 hours or more tweaking them just to create a 3 minute clip. I just have a lot of respect for how much goes into putting one of these things together. thats all.

got any clips of yours I can view?

I'd like to draw your attention to this thread, shot with my simple Point 'n Shoot 7MP Olympus, let alone my dSLR.

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.p...ic=7288&hl=

I've had some of my photos displayed at Iacocca Hall at Lehigh in an art exhibit, as well do freelance for a BMW tuning magezine.

I'm no Ski or Mtnbiker99x, but I think I know what I'm talking about.

If you are "too lazy" to color correct then you "wasted" your money on that camera.

I agree.

If you want to be lazy, buy a consumer camera. It's like those people who shoot with their dSLR's in full auto 24/7.

naaaaaa.. in just toying around, i know how much time and work goes into a small clip.. there are some really good edits out there, I have heard of kids spending 6 hours or more tweaking them just to create a 3 minute clip. I just have a lot of respect for how much goes into putting one of these things together. thats all.

got any clips of yours I can view?

Ya I feel that. I just strongly disagreed with the way you worded your post. I used to be real into editing and made a few but have since lost them. I had a Mt. Baker edit that was on a computer at my high school that I did burn and my teacher deleted every I had. :angry: Getting back into it this year though, but definitely doin' more photography now.

Here are some untouched shots from Blue today. I like to avoid post processing, aside from cropping, if I can.

th_DSC_0126.jpg

th_DSC_0092.jpg

th_DSC_0164.jpg

th_DSC_0102.jpg

Please tear em apart. I'm looking for all the feedback I can get.

edit: if those photos won't enlarge, my photobucket url is http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/fr...untain%20Shots/

Edited by freeridintre

If you are "too lazy" to color correct then you "wasted" your money on that camera.
I only color correct if I don't like my colors,I liked my colors in this,i just wish I set my shutter a little lower,but I guess I can fix that in vegas to.

Yeahhhhhhhh. With a camera that nice the stuff you shot in the crappy light we've had lately should be spot on. I've had trouble shootin with my new Dslr cuz I still don't know my way around it. Gotta learn that shizzzz.
For some reason I don't even have a dslr camera and i take really good pictures with them from my friends d50,hes wack tho,he wont take the thing off auto and i hate that.

I went to go take a picture of my friend with it the one night and was setting the shutter and his girlfriend comes over and was like here and she puts it on auto,and im like no,your suppose to shoot manual with these kinds of cameras and she goes manual is for artisty people even tho she uses it on auto to... :banghead