I HATE THE STEPS IN FRONT OF THE PARK

yardsaleclothing

'Nuff said. I'm not going to prentend to know how to safely operate a race course, please don't pretend to know how to safely manage a terrain park.

exactly, at least someone here is smart. then dont you think that blue mountain, who has been in business for so long, would know how to safely manage a terrain park better than you?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly, at least someone here is smart. then dont you think that blue mountain, who has been in business for so long, would know how to safely manage a terrain park better than you?

Not if the people who manage it don't ride parks and/or aren't up on the scene.

Edited by Glenn

Everybody who complains about the stairs needs to stop. We will have to "rough it" this season and maybe in the future possibly next season they will implement the park pass becuz i really dont think blue cares rite now that a bunch of us park rats are complaining. I believe i will get sent to hell for this next statement that or worse i'll get beatly by words online..."HIT THOSE BASTARDS SITTING ON THE LANDINGS OF FEATURES..IF YOU INJURE THEM OR EVEN SCARE THEM I BET THEY'LL THINK TWICE ABOUT SITTING ON LANDINGS IN THE FUTURE AND IF YOUR WORRIED ABOUT HURTING YOURSELF THEN HAVE SOMEONE SCOPE THE LANDINGS FOR YOU."

this guy is smarter than me and the rest of the people who replied on this thread because he actually sees the reality of the situation while all you bitches just complain and cant suggest anything better than your park pass idea.

if blue even remotely cared about the freestylers, they would have implemented the park pass since it came up a long time ago. theres nothing you can do and complaining is not going to help. it just makes you seem like selfish babies. just go to another mountain if you hate it that much.

Edited by jsong83

thats just assumptions. you have no proof.

and no offense, since i dont know you or how much expertise you have but im pretty sure that blue mountain (and every other ski resort staff) knows a shitload more about running a ski resort/terrain park than you

and no offense, since i dont know you or how much expertise you have but im pretty sure that blue mountain (and every other ski resort staff) knows a shitload more about running a ski resort/terrain park than you

Ask any blue mountain Park Crew member if it was up to them would there be park passes. While you're at it ask them if the steps are doing the trick.

You're right, I couldn't figure stuff out myself, but my opinions are backed and in many cases based on opinion of the majority of the freestyle community.

Edited by Glenn

They need more stairs or something. It is dangorous in the park now. People can come at you from all different directions. It's dangorous when people like TheKevinThomas and TheJustinThomas grill up some steeze off the booters. Justin said I wasn't practicing good smart style because I was only 20 feet to the side of the jump :banghead

I'll give Blue props for trying. I haven't seen this implemented anywhere else. They clearly have reasons not to go with park passes, whatever their logic may be, but they also recognized a problem. You can't tell me that an equal number of people are still coming through. Sure many are still coming - but at least some people are being turned away by it. Thats an improvement over doing nothing. Maybe this will wake them up to the park pass idea - it works perfectly everywhere else I've seen it.

And Jsong did you see the video posted on here of a little girl getting hit in the head by a skier going over a jump. In that situation he couldn't have seen her no matter what - so what we're saying is that its nearly impossible to hit jumps and be sure you are safe. So far the only feasible idea I've heard is (i believe it was TP4?) putting a mirror so you can see around the lip like at a golf course. However no one knows if that will work, and it isn't going to be implemented anytime soon so, for now we're kind of screwed. My approach is to be as careful as I can be, if I see anyone who may be in the landing I skip it. You can't account for people who have been sitting there a long time and you didn't see go down before you - on bad crowd days I just skip the jumps entirely. But you will never ever be sure.

Also before you go with the spotter root - we've already pointed out why that won't work, mainly your spotter needs to be at the jump before you, but once you pass them how do they get in front for the next jump? They are starting from a stand still and you are flying through the air.

The solution requires getting rid of a lot of people that don't belong in the park - and I think it starts with a ranger clipping tickets for blocking landings. If they'll give everyone shit for stepping off a trail by 1 foot, start giving people shit for going into a park and causing havoc.

while all you bitches

This is your first and only warning for the "bitches" comment. If you'd like to debate people, please do so respectfully, because right now you're not earning any.

if blue even remotely cared about the freestylers,

Based on how much money Blue has pumped into the parks/pipe in the last couple years, the fact that they now have Freeride programs for both skiing and boarding, and that Come Around still has freestyle features on it even though all of the other parks are open, I would not hesitate to say that you couldn't be more wrong.

they would have implemented the park pass since it came up a long time ago. theres nothing you can do and complaining is not going to help. it just makes you seem like selfish babies. just go to another mountain if you hate it that much.

You post like you know quite a bit about the mountain... If so, then why do you appear to be unfamiliar with the reasons that management at Blue has given for not instituting a park pass system? It is a fact, not my opinion, that the industry is supporting to an ever greater extent the park/pipe/freestyle scene, and it will not be the parkrats who are going to other mountains, but people like you will be forced to deal with the fact that there is money to be made from styles of skiing and riding that are other than your own.

This is a hot one so I think I'm gonna leave it alone.

you babies have whined so much that I WANT BLUE TO IMPLEMENT A PARK PASS TO SHUT YOU ALL UP. but seriously, knowing you people, youll find something to complain about next week.

One step at a time- can't rush into things, ya know?

It's really not like that. It seems like the guy from sunday river has made some not-so-great decisions- not the management. Is sunday river remotely recognized for good parks :confused ?

Ask any blue mountain Park Crew member if it was up to them would there be park passes. While you're at it ask them if the steps are doing the trick.

I'm pretty sure that most of the locals, including park crue, is all for park passes. As for the steps, only god knows.

this is hilarious. some people are so ignorant.

Seriously, you don't see me jumping into the politics debate threads. I know my limits. I realize that i don't know jack shit about politics and how much of a stupid fuck i would be for trying to argue with people about something that would make me look like a complete asshole

* ^ not directed at anyone in particular

Is sunday river remotely recognized for good parks :confused ?

Actually yes they are. There halfpipe regularly gets accolades for being one of the best in that region, and everyone I've ever talked to who has gone to Sunday River has awesome things to say about their parks. Its mostly just that not a whole lot of people make the trip because Vermont is just that much closer.

In terms of who is building the parks, I've heard some positive, and I've heard some negative. I've never had the opportunity to meet the guy, but from what I've heard hes a pretty nice guy who means well. Management has told him what they want, and that is what you are seeing. I love the flow of the top part of the park right now, and have heard from several others that they do as well. There are some great jib options all the way down to the first turn, which has naturally become the first stopping point. Due to the tight turns of Sidewinder, I've kinda lost my belief that the park could be a couple nice lines that flow down the whole run. Instead, I feel like its much better setup in stages. Right now I think the top is dialed, the middle section(bus, swingset, double jump line) is pretty damn close to dialed, and the last section could use a little work.

Back to the steps, I don't think they are working in the aspect that most had anticipated they would function, but I do believe that they have done something beneficial. Everyone is now forced to recompose themselves after climbing the steps, and most of them look around before they start down the trail, causing a lot less of the people who are actually riding the features to get snaked by those who the steps were originally foreseen to keep out. Once you make it down towards the middle and lower section on a busy day, then its a different story, and I see some bad accidents in the very near future with how little space there is to manuever for jumpers and gapers on the last hits in the park. Hopefully nothing will happen, but one can only hope.

Back to the steps, I don't think they are working in the aspect that most had anticipated they would function, but I do believe that they have done something beneficial. Everyone is now forced to recompose themselves after climbing the steps, and most of them look around before they start down the trail, causing a lot less of the people who are actually riding the features to get snaked by those who the steps were originally foreseen to keep out. Once you make it down towards the middle and lower section on a busy day, then its a different story, and I see some bad accidents in the very near future with how little space there is to manuever for jumpers and gapers on the last hits in the park. Hopefully nothing will happen, but one can only hope.

yeah. what you said.

haha

buuut for real, while a lot of gapers still come into the park, the steps do discourage a lot of people who would normally just ride right through, it IS noticeably less crowded in the park, even if its not perfect. :wiggle

hey trev question for you,

do u think park crue could clear the snow off the steps so people actually see them?

we spent about 20 minutes doing that yesterday. as far as the park right now, i agree with trev, the top section is sick. once the butter boxes are gone, the only other thing i would change is the lip onto the double barrel, just give it a little less kick to it. the jump on the first corner is kind of a waste there, you could set up a rail there or something that doesnt require as much speed which would make that whole turn rut out and get icy. the second stepdown is nice when the landing isnt icy, which leads into the bus or table, which are both fun, although the transition on the table was a little flat yesterday. swingset is really fun, and the flat down flat is set up well too, as is the wall. the c isnt bad, and the hip thinger is actually pretty fun when its not ice too. the crackerbarrel is a waste, as everyone knows, and so is that retarded s box. last jump is playing mind games with me right now cause my ski came off for no reason on the outrun and the same thing happened to a few of my friends. sidewinder would be 10x better than it is now if they actually made nice snow on it that didnt ice up by noon every day.

as for the sunday river guy, search newschoolers or youtube or something for video from the sunday river heat harvest. if the guy can create that, obviously he knows what he's doing, he's just being forced to make shitty rails by management i guess? from what i saw of him working on the pipe yesterday, it already looks ten times better than it ever has and i am really excited to ride it. anyone know when its opening?

Edited by freeridintre

hey trev question for you,

do u think park crue could clear the snow off the steps so people actually see them?

Yup, I regularly do when I'm up there, even if I'm not on duty. Yesterday I think I did it 5 times in a few hours with a lil help from my friends. The reason they get so packed with snow is the fact that people walk up them with their gear on. Snowboards hold a ton of snow and it all gets put onto the steps as people tap and drag their board sideways up the steps. Everytime we were up there shoveling them off, we told more and more people to "please take off your gear," and by the time we left the steps were not getting packed even as close to as quickly as they previously were.

I'd love it if the members of this board could set the example for the other people entering the park. Please take off your gear, boarders its not that hard to take one foot out and then put both in once you're at the top. The people who need to be educated obviously are not reading the signs, so please educate through setting the examplethey should want to follow. If they see all the people who can rip ollieing up the stairs or hustling up them with their gear on, we are going to keep on having the same problems we are having with keeping the stairs clean and having people with no clue whatsoever. While shoveling the stairs I've been politely asking people to remove all of their gear and please remember to stay well to the sides of landings if you won't be hitting any of the features. I've been nice and explained things calmly to people who had questions or made rude remarks, and so far it has worked like a charm. The same people were taking off their stuff every run, and sure there were still a few clowns who walked up them with their gear on, but every little bit helps. I'm hoping we can get someone in uniform up at the steps this weekend to maintain/inform, I see it working if we put some effort into it now. A sort of "troop surge" if you will.

I forgot the name of the company but it was like Snow Wave or Jib something..

Snow Grind

web address.

http://www.snowgrind.com/index.html

But once the park is set up it's maintained by a single groomer who doesn't ski/ride usually doesn't have time for the pipe.

Danny has been doing most of the park grooming. From what I understand he does ski. However, I don't think he skis everything in the park to its full extent. There is no problem with that, at least hes out there.

usually doesn't have time for the pipe.

Between all the other trails, and the fact that to my knowledge they only have 3 guys that are grooming right now, they definitely don't have time for something that takes as much time as a pipe does on a weekly basis.

Edited by freeridintre

You know 90% of people wouldn't complain about the steps if there was a gondola because you would already have the board off anyway so they're just spoiled by having a chairlift. Go to Mountain Creek, you walk a hell of a lot farther than you do at Blue, and you have to strap in both feet every time anyway. Or compare it to a mountain with half as much vert - you have to strap your back foot in every 500 vertical feet anyway - so you are even on the amount of time wasted doing that anyway. I think its a good step in the right direction if only because it prevents someone from saying "I didn't know" if you confront them about being a danger in the park. Plus I think it ads a bit of responsibility to it, if you choose to go up stairs preventing you from easily accessing something, you are making an affirmative decision much more so than if there are just warning signs and something written on the back of the lift ticket. While people may deny it, that means an awful lot more in court if something did happen. Speaking of which - why do you think they keep track of names, addresses, etc on park passes? They don't replace if you lose it, so it is a lawsuit/liability thing. Whether or not you sit and watch the whole video, they can show that video and court with your signature and your receipt to be granted access to features - and if you sue the mountain you don't have much of a case. The stairs are a move in that direction, and I say it might be a better compromise than anything else proposed.

once the butter boxes are gone, the only other thing i would change is the lip onto the double barrel, just give it a little less kick to it.

the jump on the first corner is kind of a waste there, you could set up a rail there or something that doesnt require as much speed which would make that whole turn rut out and get icy.

The butter boxes are a different idea, but i think it'd be safer for them to just take them out- slap them in come around as a gap to gap? :chea: Maybe space the rails out up top a little more.

On the first corner, they should put the cbox there. It'd be better than the jump, making more room around the turn where the cbox is now :wiggle

I'd love it if the members of this board could set the example for the other people entering the park. Please take off your gear,

I always take my shit off, for that reason alone. I try to make the people struggling to hike up the steps w/ gear on feel like assholes by blasting past them. It's serioulsy not that much of an inconvienence

Danny has been doing most of the park grooming. From what I understand he does ski. However, I don't think he skis everything in the park to its full extent. There is no problem with that, at least hes out there.

Between all the other trails, and the fact that to my knowledge they only have 3 guys that are grooming right now, they definitely don't have time for something that takes as much time as a pipe does on a weekly basis.

It's better than it was last year, park wise. If blue only has 3 groomers, that's nuts. I wish i could be a groomer. I'd love that job so much, it'd be so nuts to groom the park. I'm really anal retentive about shit (like ocd, but not ocd), so shit would be tight...er Maybe one day, never know

If I had a job at a mountain I'd be a groomer. Work the night shift, get a few early turns in the morning and go to sleep from lunchtime until your shift starts and miss the crappiest part of the day. Its not great for being social, but its better than being a liftie and working during the best part of the day. Short of that bartender, waitor, or snowmaker are along the same lines because they are afternoon/nightime so you get the morning out on the hill.

thank you tp4 because if u wouldnt have said it i was going to, sitting up top on the lift i was just watching people who shouldnt be in the park were trying to go up in there rentals and i was just laughing at them, i think they should just make a sign that says no rentals in the park that would keep most of the dumbasses out hopefully since it seemed to work at bb

Awesome idea, another great idea is to completely remove the snow in front of the steps so there's nothing but grass for 20 feet infront of the steps. This will require EVERYONE to take equipment off!