I HATE THE STEPS IN FRONT OF THE PARK

yardsaleclothing

WORST IDEA EVER!!!!! Why don't they make people pay for a park pass like mountain creek or something like that cause the steps do not keep people from wandering down the park? I've seen old people trying to pizza up the steps on thier skis, people who can barely ski at all take off thier skis to walk up them into the park and so on. One lady insisted on coming in even when we explained what she was in for, she fell out of her skis while someone tried to pull her up the steps, held everyone up then once she got in ended up getting in everyones way hitting the sides of the jumps and stopped in all the wrong places. I don't understand how they don't get it...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WORST IDEA EVER!!!!! Why don't they make people pay for a park pass like mountain creek or something like that cause the steps do not keep people from wandering down the park? I've seen old people trying to pizza up the steps on thier skis, people who can barely ski at all take off thier skis to walk up them into the park and so on. One lady insisted on coming in even when we explained what she was in for, she fell out of her skis while someone tried to pull her up the steps, held everyone up then once she got in ended up getting in everyones way hitting the sides of the jumps and stopped in all the wrong places. I don't understand how they don't get it...

When Justin, THE Kevin Thomas, and I were standing at the top of the park, some guy walks up the stairs and says "whose genious idea was that?" Funny thing, is that guy is part of the problem.

its still better than having nothing there at all...

I disagree. All it does is ruin the flow of things. Plus for a while the ski patrol was forcing people to unstrap both feet and then strap back in up the steps which gets old really quick. I honestly think the only way to keep those people out is to enforce some kind of park pass.

it doesnt ruin any flow. you arent even in the park yet and you would stop there anyway to pick out a run. how about we take everything down and just let the whole world ski right through while you are hitting something. at least with everybody there on that mound you can call your drop and let somebody know you are going. with no gate, that wouldnt be possible because nobody would stop.

it doesnt ruin any flow. you arent even in the park yet and you would stop there anyway to pick out a run. how about we take everything down and just let the whole world ski right through while you are hitting something. at least with everybody there on that mound you can call your drop and let somebody know you are going. with no gate, that wouldnt be possible because nobody would stop.

The whole world pretty much still skis through except now they all have to make it through a 10 foot wide set of steps first

On another note, I had a lot of fun today in the park. I though everything was set up decently. The S box thing looks like a waste of money, I know i'm probally not gonna hit it. Everything else was fun.

lus for a while the ski patrol was forcing people to unstrap both feet and then strap back in up the steps which gets old really quick.

that's the point. It's supposed to get old quick, thus people who REALLY want to hit the park will deal with the added benefit of it getting old for people who don't belong in there.

I though everything was set up decently.

And that had nothing to do with the stairs that "get old quick".

Well at the top of the steps should be a sign that says "Terrain Park - free style terrain. Freestyle users only" Or something like that. Then there is no possible way to avoid the sign, and when people are like WHAT THE FUCK ARE THE STAIRS FOR - you can answer - so that you don't come in.

or there should just be a sign "park pass required" and don't issue the park passes. then people will be confused and go away.

I hate the steps too. Park passes would make way more sense (can't believe I said that) if Blue must keep people out of the park. Now to stir the shit (remember the following statement/ question is my opinion so try not to jump on me too hard)... What's the deal with wanting to keep people out of the park? Older ladies, parents with kids and newer skiers (like me) are all paying customers who might want to check out some of the features and how to use them. I feel that regular skiers/ riders have as much right to use the park as the "pros" hitting all the rail and the jumps. I know that there a lot of people who wander into the park who don't know the etiquette and interfere with other skiers/ riders using the features but how is that different on the rest of the mountain? Think about it... how many people do you see out of control on a double black, or who can't get off of the lift without falling or can't figure out that it's not appropriate to stop and sit in the middle of a trail. And don't give me "the consequences are more dangerous" if you suck in the park crap. Plenty of serious injuries happen for dumb reasons on the rest of the mountain as in the park. If I want to take a ride through the park to see what it's all about I think I should be able to. OK... that's enough...I'm done.

i like em. you can just tail press right up them and then snake all the noobs into the first rail section. they def. need barbed wire and a bunch a spikes, or hire ugly chicks to stand there to keep people from going in

one more comment:

-NO poles, No twin tips, stay away from that trail in general.

the park pass thing has been discussed so many times before. what i've been told is that management doesnt want anyone to have to buy an extra pass or have to do anything extra to have access to a trail. they paid for their lift ticket, they should be able to ride what they want, and with the stairs, they can. you just have to take your gear off to get up them. no one is stopping you from coming into the park at all (unless i see you trying to duck walk up the stairs with your skis on.) the idea, as was said before, is that for the people who arent really interested in sidewinder in particular, whether it be for actually hitting the features or otherwise, will get annoyed by having to take their gear off and walk up the steps. if you want to be in the park whether you are hitting features or safely watching from the sides, you'll take the extra thirty seconds to take your gear off so those of us waiting our turns to drop can have a clear shot at at least one or two features before we get cut off. anyone i saw trying to walk up with their gear on, i didnt hesitate to tell them why they were causing a problem. by not taking your skis off, you block everyone behind you trying to get up the steps, and also pack the snow onto the steps, ultimately making them icier. if you cant understand why something was needed to at least slow down the flow of people entering the park, then you obviously dont ride it that often and dont know how big of an issue crowd control was last year.

thats why they should do what stratton does, to get a park pass all you have to do is watch a safety video

If you can't properly/quickly enter and exit a jump/rail/etc.;

You shouldn't be in the park.

I think it must suck going up the stairs all day,

but at least it's a start for management actually doing something to keep people off the park that shouldn't be there.

Unfortunately,

you have to set up deterrents to keep people out of the park.

Requiring additional effort or money seems to be the only way to keep the park free of unwanted traffic.

I wouldn't even go to Blue anymore because the landings and lips were so torn up from toddlers/beginners that it wasn't safe to hit the park.

Maybe the stairs will improve the park.

My idea would be to rope off the entire park with only ONE entrance which is accessed by ONE lift.

No park pass, no entrance to the lift or park.

Anyone without a pass in the park gets tossed off the mountain.

If thats not feasible,

they could at least have a employee at the entrance of the park to screen who comes in.

I watched parents attached to toddles with "leashes" actually "drive" these kids over the lips of the jumps while snowplowing.

And then they give an attitude when you politley remind them that the park is only for those who can properly use the terrain.

I've been serioulsy injured before in the terrain park because of toddlers "appearing" in areas where they shouldn't be.

I'll say it again:

If you can't properly/quickly enter and exit a jump/rail/etc.;

You shouldn't be in the park.

maybe they've already gone through their options and it was decided that building the stairs into the park was the best and most feasible option for all parties involved. how bout we all just come to the realization that there are a lot of people that shouldnt be in the park, and if you want to ride sidewinder, stop bitching, take your skis/board off (of both feet) and walk up the stairs as they were intended to be used. do you walk up the stairs of ski school with your skis on? i dont think so; don't do it to get into sidewinder either.

If I want to take a ride through the park to see what it's all about I think I should be able to. OK... that's enough...I'm done.

Then take your skis off and walk up. Question? If it was park pass only, would you take the time to get one?

i've been told is that management doesnt want anyone to have to buy an extra pass or have to do anything extra to have access to a trail. they paid for their lift ticket, they should be able to ride what they want,

Ok - this is really flawed, in other words Blue mtn encourages all who have a lift ticket to go down all trails regardless of thier ability?

how bout we all just come to the realization that there are a lot of people that shouldnt be in the park, and if you want to ride sidewinder, stop bitching, take your skis/board off (of both feet) and walk up the stairs as they were intended to be used.

Understood. the park pass system is working beautifully at CB - the beauty of it is that it requires someone at the top of the slope to explain to the once or twice a timer why a pass is required. You don't have the education aspect at Blue... It's not a bad idea just a good one, better than nothing. Noob trench would be the best method.

Then take your skis off and walk up. Question? If it was park pass only, would you take the time to get one?

Ok - this is really flawed, in other words Blue mtn encourages all who have a lift ticket to go down all trails regardless of thier ability?

Understood. the park pass system is working beautifully at CB - the beauty of it is that it requires someone at the top of the slope to explain to the once or twice a timer why a pass is required. You don't have the education aspect at Blue... It's not a bad idea just a good one, better than nothing. Noob trench would be the best method.

not necesarily encouraging, but not saying, "you cant ride this trail unless you pay more money or watch a video first." there are plenty of double standards up there, such as the race team practicing on sidewinder, sitting on landings, harrassing us to hit stuff when they won't touch anything, when they already have razors closed off for race practice. if the race teams can close off razors to practice, why cant freeriders (skiers and boarders) close off one of the parks for their practice?

snowboarders, dont strap both feet in when you get off the lift. its a short ride to the steps, it makes no sense to strap in before getting there, and its faster to unstrap your front foot and just walk up then. so stop complaining

my bro suggested putting a railing up the middle of the steps so people cant sidestep/hop up the stairs while strapped/clicked in.... but there will still be plenty of room to walk up. sound pretty good to me. and get cheesegrater steps so that those who do hop up shred theyr sticks, hah.

im not sure if this is on the other smartstyle signs, but on the ones at sidewinder, theres a line that says "freestyle skills REQUIRED" i point that out everytime i have a "discussion" with people about whether they should be in the park.. go practice up in the small parks and come back if you want to that bad.

jesus christ, cant you people every stop complaining?

for the last time, youre not getting your damn park pass idea.

if you dont like it, stop going to blue.

blue mt didnt have to compromise and put in anything there but now that they did something to try and help out the loyal park riders, more bitching. just shut the hell up and accept the fact that the mountain is for everyone and not just for you. otherwise, go to stratton or mountain creek and stay the hell away from blue if you hate it and want to complain about it so much.

yea it sucks that some people dont have etiquette in the park or on any trail. but what can you do? they paid for their lift ticket just like you did. if idiot beginners want to risk and hurt themselves by going in the park, let them. its their own body and theyre the ones that are going to pay if they get hurt.

i suggest if you want a park pass, buy your own damn mountain and make your own damn rules. sorry for sounding like an asshole but some people can be so selfish. (and please dont say that keep beginners out of the park is for their own safety because its quite obvious that you're only saying it for your own selfishness)

Edited by jsong83

some guy walks up the stairs and says "whose genious idea was that?" Funny thing, is that guy is part of the problem.

I disagree. All it does is ruin the flow of things. Plus for a while the ski patrol was forcing people to unstrap both feet and then strap back in up the steps which gets old really quick. I honestly think the only way to keep those people out is to enforce some kind of park pass.

Yes, a park pass would work, but this is what we have to work with as of now. You could bitch about the steps like the people who shouldn't be in there all you want. Hell, you can skate up the steps and set a bad example for the same people. Get over it- unstrap. Walk. Strap. Ride. Shut up.

What's the deal with wanting to keep people out of the park? Older ladies, parents with kids and newer skiers (like me) are all paying customers who might want to check out some of the features and how to use them. I feel that regular skiers/ riders have as much right to use the park as the "pros" hitting all the rail and the jumps.

I know that there a lot of people who wander into the park who don't know the etiquette and interfere with other skiers/ riders using the features but how is that different on the rest of the mountain? Think about it... how many people do you see out of control on a double black, or who can't get off of the lift without falling or can't figure out that it's not appropriate to stop and sit in the middle of a trail. And don't give me "the consequences are more dangerous" if you suck in the park crap. Plenty of serious injuries happen for dumb reasons on the rest of the mountain as in the park. If I want to take a ride through the park to see what it's all about I think I should be able to. OK... that's enough...I'm done.

The whole jist of keeping inexperienced riders/ skiers out of the park isn't for their own good, but for everyone elses, for the most part. The reason parkies want these people out is because 1. they pose a hazard, getting in the way. 2. they use the features incorrectly, fucking up the lips for everyone. Landings included.

It's different than the rest of the mountain because if you're skiing on a regular trail, you can always see what's going on. In parks, you don't always know what's on the other side of the clear, and by the time you're mid way in the air, about to land blindly, you have to have the confidence that the landing is gonna be clear of 4-year olds on leashes. They can get hurt, and you can get hurt. It puts a restraint on safe progression. If you wanna ride through the park and gape your little heart out, feel free to give in and buy the pass. Sure YOU may be responsible not to get in the way, but the other 95% of those asshole don't, and it's just plain unsafe.

period

my bro suggested putting a railing up the middle of the steps so people cant sidestep/hop up the stairs while strapped/clicked in.... but there will still be plenty of room to walk up. sound pretty good to me. and get cheesegrater steps so that those who do hop up shred theyr sticks, hah.

im not sure if this is on the other smartstyle signs, but on the ones at sidewinder, theres a line that says "freestyle skills REQUIRED" i point that out everytime i have a "discussion" with people about whether they should be in the park.. go practice up in the small parks and come back if you want to that bad.

Yeah

Make the stairs out of concrete pavers so people have to take their shit off to avoid damage to their rentals.....

not necesarily encouraging, but not saying, "you cant ride this trail unless you pay more money or watch a video first." there are plenty of double standards up there, such as the race team practicing on sidewinder, sitting on landings, harrassing us to hit stuff when they won't touch anything, when they already have razors closed off for race practice. if the race teams can close off razors to practice, why cant freeriders (skiers and boarders) close off one of the parks for their practice?

hahaha - the blue mountain race team owns all in our area and it sounds like they act like it on thier home slopes. So funny that they are extroverted like that on the slopes but unusually quiet in places like this.

as far as closing trails. I think that is the entitlement thing, which is really funny now that I think of that other thread. as you well know racing is expensive, so my thinking has been for all the money shelled out and time put in and the representation, that they feel entitled? :blink:

thank you tp4 because if u wouldnt have said it i was going to, sitting up top on the lift i was just watching people who shouldnt be in the park were trying to go up in there rentals and i was just laughing at them, i think they should just make a sign that says no rentals in the park that would keep most of the dumbasses out hopefully since it seemed to work at bb

sound like a little baby complaining because he didnt get his way.

obviously, they are compromising their own safety. but why the hell do you care? and dont act like you do, because you dont. you just care that theyre messing shit up for you.

AND beginners do that all over the mountain, stupid. people lay down in the middle of a crowded trail on a double black diamond getting in the way of people above them speeding past trying to avoid them. what is the solution for that then?

all im saying is this conversation has been discussed many times. their is no fair solution and a park pass is not a fair solution. youre just blinded because that is what you want. blue just did what they thought is best. now get over it.

Edited by jsong83