Which wax do you blue mt regulars use?

Old Geezer

This is a question for all the regulars I read about who ski Blue Mt everyday, grilled cheese and atomic whatever. At my advanced age, I can barely remember what nursing home to go to, to visit to all my friends, and I surely can't keep your nicknames straight at all.

What wax do you use on those rough boilerplate conditions Blue has? I was up there the other day for a few hours with one of the grandkids and it was a strange surface. And that's being kind. It was corn snow that subsequently froze, and it looked like they tried to groom it. The other noteworthy feature was the large sheets of ice on the headwalls of the two steeper runs that start off together on the RH side of the mountain. I only get there every few years, but skiing friends have told me what we skied on is common.

Exactly what wax do you use. I'm guessing it has to be a very durable, hard wax for use there . I'm not interested in any fancy racing wax, something universal or maybe a temp specific hydrocarbon based wax. I'd like to know out how long a wax lasts on those surfaces, and if any wax both lasts long and skis well there. I'm also guessing you have to keep your edges very sharpened to get any edge anywhere on that entire hill.

As shadows said, racewax.com. The best, hands down. I use everything from DrD's (racewax.com) universal fluoro to his warm/cold flouro to his T-series, which I generally reserve for racing. But if I don't flouro, which isn't everday, I use swix universal warm. Easy to scrape, and is $35 for 900g of some decent wax. Makes a great base coat for applying Dr.D's flouros. It's not neccessarily the type of wax you use but the frequency of which you wax. Waxing after every use with Swix Universal will yield better results then waxing every so often with expensive flouro.

For sticky snow blown snow like today...my gs skis were waxed with Dr.D's temperature specific T-series, which is amazing stuff, but tomorrow when it'll be variable and warmer, I just threw on some swix on my slalom skis.

As for sharpening your edges....yes, I keep mine razor sharp at all times. I don't think I've ever hit ice this year at blue. :)

That's a joke, right?

No, its not. Not at all. Today while skiing at the Blue, we were on Razors Edge, and there was some hardpack, and I told him that, and he exclaimed "What hard pack? There was no slick spot AT ALL!"

Haha. But were you there today? I saw an older person with a kid. Red ski boots? Right?

You'd be surprised...conditions have been really good at Blue lately...

Pffft..it's just his OG's way of showing some hate. He pops in to hate on Sno, now it's to hate on the boilerplate that is Booter.

Yeah, Old Geezer, wax will really give you that added grip your looking for on ice. <_<

BTW, I haven't hit a single patch of ice at Sno all year...and that's not a joke, but because of the new owners. :upyers

I have no idea how much I go through in a season but I generally use Swix (because its what we buy in bulk for the shop), all temperature for most of the winter around here, warm wax for the end of the year (from about now to the end probably), and try to match the temperature I'm expecting the night before I head out on a trip west/north. Once in a while I use fluoro and I can feel the difference but generally its overkill for me becuase the limiting factor on my speed is the people I'm riding with not the wax.

Pffft..it's just his OG's way of showing some hate. He pops in to hate on Sno, now it's to hate on the boilerplate that is Booter.

Yeah, Old Geezer, wax will really give you that added grip your looking for on ice. <_<

BTW, I haven't hit a single patch of ice at Sno all year...and that's not a joke, but because of the new owners. :upyers

Yea, I don't like the deal they did on Sno Mt. Get over it.

Hey, my side won and you went on a bitter rant about good people who are race dads and want to create the best experience in the Poconos. Maybe you have a bad memory, but I tend to remember defamatory personal attacks. You called a friend of mine a criminal in a written post---you get no respect from me.

BTW, all the shit you posted about how it was a scam, I bet you never ONCE showed up to see what it was like under the new ownership. It just kills some people when good things happen, eh?

One season is now almost in the books and guess what? Every person I ride the lift with that's been a longtime passholder says the same thing: it's the best season ever. Period.

Get over that.

Yeah, I couldn't really stand the way they made vast improvements in snowmaking, had excellent conditions every time I went, and have still been making snow when temps permit. I'm sure glad they didn't put up a windblock on the mt., or that would have really made things bad.

Ski, I'm sorry, I misunderstood. Anyone who doesn't hold the same opinion as you, especially on something that's a matter of public politics and public record, shouldn't be a part of this website. And you should feel free to jump into any message thread they start, and change it's direction with rants and raves. (Mr. Administrator, whoever you are, can you give us a ruling, is this how it is supposed to work here?)

P.S: If your friends are in the business of pay to play politics in this state, I don't like them. Too bad. No doubt the new owners make better snow, will stay open longer, and improved the place. Great, I never said I was against that. But the ends don't justify the means. You seem to think otherwise. If you want to start a thread to debate this civilly, (that would be shocking), then do it, I'll jump in.

Back to the subject of durable wax. Thanks Atomic Skier for the useful info. Those guys are on the drive to northern VT, maybe I'll stop in sometime.

Edited by Old Geezer

Ski, I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

A guy lets his friends use his small vacation condo for a couple of weekends and there are assholes out there that call that a crime and whine like little bitches and make grandiose accusations that are unfounded. Exactly how unfounded? Complete and total exhoneration in a court of law.

This is America and what you tried to do was very Castro-esque.

I understand people like you completely. Most people would take the high road and ignore your pathetic attempt at smearing a great contributor to our ski culture like Mr. Carlson. But I'm not that nice. I hate people that do what you do...that have nothing better to do than hate and be jealous of hard working, forward thinking people.

If you had any class, you'd apologize to him for what you wrote. But that's way beyond you, just like it's beyond people like Durham district attorney Mike Nifong---you have a personal vendeta and you are out to attempt to tear people down for some unexplaind reason.

You admitted you didn't read the court papers, yet still claimed an innocent man guilty. A man that has led my home hill back from the dead...