Trees Being Cut Today

DeathCookie

Hey,

I was up at the montain this morning (19th) and there are a ton of trees being cut down when I asked what was going on I was told they are cutting some new trails for this season. By the amount of work thats going on it looks like there is going to be more that 'a couple' new runs put in :)

Edited by DeathCookie

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news on the tree cutting. I'm just curious if we'll actually see a new trail. They're obviously very ambitious to start in september, but there is a lot of grading/installing of pipes/pumps/guns before we're going to see a skiable surface. I'm pulling for them though!!

and yes ski, puppies make phenomenal carving surfaces. I also heard that baby seals are the newest and coolest bonk feature for this season. :chea::banana::tinfoil:

F*ck sno mtn, i'm boycotting them because they are cutting down trees. They dont care about the environment whatsoever. Not to mention the machinery they are using is putting green house gases into the air contributing to global warming. The disrespect people show nature now-a-days digusts me. Words cannot describe how angry I am over this.

I know right? I'm going to start a bonfire in the parking lot in protest .....

Most likely going to be to the left of the long haul.

These are the plans they showed at a press meeting (if I remember correctly) at the beginning of last season:

new_sno_mtn.jpg

Yep, that was there plan from last year. I drive past sno everday tho and still don't see any trees down besides above the kids snow tubing area.

Possibly the worst movie ever, but here's the clip of tree removal on the website:

http://snomtn.com/mov/newtrails.wmv

The clip doesn't indicate where they are working, but it looks like it's the far east side of the mountain, where there's a little vert dip followed by a long flat. The lower part of the run is where it'll be gnarly.

If there was an environmentalist group that was filming the destruction of trees at Sno mountain, but weren't supposed to be there... this is what the video would look like. I especially like the "MY MOVIE 1" title.

If there was an environmentalist group that was filming the destruction of trees at Sno mountain, but weren't supposed to be there... this is what the video would look like. I especially like the "MY MOVIE 1" title.

Ha, yeah, it was just missing a close-up shot of dead woodchucks in the tire marks of the monster truck.

You know, I was looking at that map. Even with the HSQ, the current north face trails will still be secluded and accesible only through the current slow lift. So you can get some good long runs, but if you want to spend your day alone on the steep trails, you can do that as well. Who knows if the market is there, but Sno is definately on track to be the sickest mountain BY FAR in PA. I wish it were a little closer to me :-/

This is definitely the right direction. I don't know how much more they will be cutting down, but it kind of looked like that trail would be relatively narrow. Sno doesn't really have any of those except easy street.

Glenn, you'll have to move to Scranton after college. If you have any special skills like repairing bowling alley ball return machines, you'll always have work up here. :)

Schif: unless anyone actually skis/rides Upper Runaway, it's just not possible to convey just how wide (and flat) that slope is. I'm sure it's a nightmare to cover and it gets full sun almost year 'round. Ty and I used to play stick tag going from side to side. Using trees for natural shade and to keep snow from blowing away is probably high on their list for the new slopes, especially considering how badly cut Upper FT and Upper RA are.

You're exactly right ski. A narrow trail is going to be exponentially easier to get going and then maintain (as far as snow depth is concerned). Being narrow means it will get skied off easier and faster, but I still don't think that will be a problem at Sno this year.

Its going to be an awesome year for us. I'll definitely be there for the first day the new trails open. I want to be the first one to ride that new one. That way I can completely claim it as my own.