Helmetsssssssssssssssss

romemadman

I think the Smith Holt seems pretty nice. I might be getting a new helmet and thats what i'm thinking of buying.

I rode a Holt all last year. I wrote a little review of it and the Smith Fuse goggles if you search the gear forum. I liked it alot. I pretty much rode it with the vents open all season, as the ear pads alone were plenty warm. The fit was real nice. I have normally ridden Giro helmets and am kinda in between the small and medium, with a medium Giro being just a little too big, but the medium Holt fit just right.

IMHO, whatever feels the best on your head. I prefer FULL helmets, especially after my accident, and they seem to be hard to find. EVERY other helmet in the store was what I think of as a 3/4 helmet. So, I bought the ONE full helmet they had, a Giro Streif, and fortunately it was the perfect size. Interestingly, the right size for this helmet was quite a bit smaller than my last helmet. Does that mean I lost brains???? I think it shows that once you are in a particular brand you should assume that the size only applies for that brand, just like a black at Camelback is not the same as a black out west.

Edited by sibhusky

just like a black at Camelback is not the same as a black out west.

Yeah, they have girlie blacks out west..... :unsure: The Hump is surely the steepest 12 feet of vert on the US mainland.....

On the helmet issue, I had a Giro Fuse 2 seasons ago and that was really nice, liked the closable vents (but didn't use them much) and is was comfortable, but also pricey compared to others (at least before I found it on e-bay).

After a late season fall on some rocks punctured the outer shell I thought I'd better replace it but went for a Pro-tec (cant remember if it was the Descent or the Stealth, but either way it came with the audio stuff), this was much cheaper than the Fuse, lighter and fits just as well but has permanently open vents. This hasn't bothered me at all and on balance I prefer this one over the Giro.

After a late season fall on some rocks punctured the outer shell I thought I'd better replace it but went for a Pro-tec (cant remember if it was the Descent or the Stealth, but either way it came with the audio stuff), this was much cheaper than the Fuse, lighter and fits just as well but has permanently open vents. This hasn't bothered me at all and on balance I prefer this one over the Giro.

My pro-tec has the open vents as well. There was only one day this past season I really wanted them closed, and it was 4 degrees (who knows what with wind chill). I ended up wearing a pullover hood underneath, which was far from ideal but kept me warm. I think in the future I will just throw some duct tape over the vents if it's really that important to keep the wind out.

I got the RED HI-FI last season and absolutely love it. I didn't get the headphones in the earpads since I read some bad reviews about them however. But the regular earpads that came with my helmet kept my ears warm. In my opinion, the helmet overall is great.. its comfortable, warm and light weight. No closeable vents, but even on the coldest days my head did not get cold (and thats with a short haircut).

we just got some new k2 helmets in yesterday. we got the clutch, rant, and shadow in stock. i like the rant a lot, its the one i had mentioned with the mini-brim, which has a notch for wearing your goggles under the helmet. kinda looks wierd at first, but its really comfy, and only $60. and for all the hunters out there, we brought them in in this obnoxious blaze orange camo print... i'll be getting the off white version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...