Lack of rain=no snow????

trimreaper

Willl the lack of rain this summer have an impact on snowmaking? I drove past Blue and the stream they use for snowmaking looks very low. I wouldnt be surprised if DEP puts a water usage limit on them.

i dont think blue pulls from a stream for snowmaking, they have a few ponds that are probably spring-fed.

Willl the lack of rain this summer have an impact on snowmaking? I drove past Blue and the stream they use for snowmaking looks very low. I wouldnt be surprised if DEP puts a water usage limit on them.

That stream has zero to do with snowmaking at Blue. In fact, they had to do several things to make sure that there is as little impact as possible on that stream from the operation in order to appease the proper authorities and environmentalists...

The ponds are filled with groundwater and runoff from snow melt and other sheet flow from parking lots, etc. If they drew water from that stream for snowmaking, it would be dry downstream from the intake just about as soon as they turn the pumps on.

Edited by OutCold

As a Civil Engineer I find it beyond stupid to have a pump used to fill a pond. Rain/gravity does a great job of that and costs a lot less to operate than a big pump.

I'm not knocking you or anything bud, I'm not denying the existence of those pumps, but I think you're just a little mistaken about their purpose.

As an Electrical Engineer, I find that what we engineers feel is stupid or not often does not affect what an owner desires to do. If they REALLY wish to use pumps to fill their pond from a stream, I`m sure they will find a way to do that.

I also endorse their extensive use of those pumps because their consumption of power shall help keep me employed :)