Opening of the Parks

burtonkid

When Bear Creek opens, we all obviously expect a park. I have ridden at Bear for a few years now off and on and i have always been surprised at the fact that they open their expert park without enough snow to build expert features. I think that the park crew should wait a few extra weeks to build the park in cascade and just pound the trail with snow making. I would much rather ride the features in the other parks on the mountain and wait for cascade to have enough snow to build good sized jumps and rail features. There is ample room on other park trails to put in jibs and rails while cascade is being pounded with snow. This waiting period would allow a true expert park to open earlier in the season. Almost all major resorts with great parks use this tactic and the results are awesome. I'm sure it would also be easier to build the park over a few days without worrying to fully rebuild a park in one night. It would give the groomers extra time to make the features perfect without having to make sure the trail is open the next day. I asked a park crew member about this last year and he fully agreed that this would make the expert park much better, much earlier. The only reason he gave why the mountain did not do this is that they were worried that people would complain. The thing is all of the features that were spread over cascade and black bear during the pre-season could easily all fit in black bear. It is unnecessary to rush the opening of the expert park. Unless I am missing something, the park riders that go to bear should send the park crew emails about waiting to open cascade. There is no need to complain that the trail is not open, because all of the features will still be out on Black Bear. Please respond with your thoughts on this. I think if we get enough people to convince the management and park crew that this will work, they will do it and this will make the expert park at Bear Creek better earlier in the season.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second this first of all because we can have the same beginner features on any trail we want, its not like we need them to be on cascade. Secondly i would like to see cascade have strictly big features on it to give beginners no reason to be on it. It would make no sense that people would complain that cascade is not open because the only difference is that the trail is switched: all the same features would be there. And in the long run it would make the most sense to do this because we would get more snow there quicker and they would not have to open it until it was perfect.

Keep us satisfied with a nice park, then blow us away with an amazing park.

When Bear Creek opens, we all obviously expect a park. I have ridden at Bear for a few years now off and on and i have always been surprised at the fact that they open their expert park without enough snow to build expert features. I think that the park crew should wait a few extra weeks to build the park in cascade and just pound the trail with snow making. I would much rather ride the features in the other parks on the mountain and wait for cascade to have enough snow to build good sized jumps and rail features. There is ample room on other park trails to put in jibs and rails while cascade is being pounded with snow. This waiting period would allow a true expert park to open earlier in the season. Almost all major resorts with great parks use this tactic and the results are awesome. I'm sure it would also be easier to build the park over a few days without worrying to fully rebuild a park in one night. It would give the groomers extra time to make the features perfect without having to make sure the trail is open the next day. I asked a park crew member about this last year and he fully agreed that this would make the expert park much better, much earlier. The only reason he gave why the mountain did not do this is that they were worried that people would complain. The thing is all of the features that were spread over cascade and black bear during the pre-season could easily all fit in black bear. It is unnecessary to rush the opening of the expert park. Unless I am missing something, the park riders that go to bear should send the park crew emails about waiting to open cascade. There is no need to complain that the trail is not open, because all of the features will still be out on Black Bear. Please respond with your thoughts on this. I think if we get enough people to convince the management and park crew that this will work, they will do it and this will make the expert park at Bear Creek better earlier in the season.

bear should def do this

It's a tough topic I mean bear does need to have maximum trail count for a less crowded mountain, but at the same time having those bigger jumps and harder rails earlier would be really nice as well as the cliff drop which even though it was "closed" when they opened last year people still killed it but it really didn't get the love it needed until later on; so I would have to say this idea makes sense but put as good a variety of rails,boxes and what have you onto black bear so it's not just a whole bunch of easy ride on rails but some rails and such you actually need to ollie onto, I think that's bears over all problem as of late anyway rails being ride on or close enough to it.

As for keeping kids out of cascade that shouldn't be there, you're sadly going to see that no matter what perfect example the jump line last year you could go and try to ride it all day but you'd still see kids who really shouldn't be on those jumps because it was just unsafe for them, I even saw kids with their parents on them of course that's what really didn't help the mtn. lab staircase was kids just riding up over and down the thing killing the lips.

Oh that also reminds me I think they should really try to focus more snow making to get the mtn. lab staircase open earlier and open more often this year, I feel like it had minimal use last year because it was always closed.

Edited by GNU_rider

I dont know about you guys but the "jump park" was so uncrowded compaired to the other terrain parks. Through a whole days of riding i would never see more then 5 people that didnt belong in there. And I think that waiting to open the park is a terrible idea because that would make the other park unbelievably crowded. The congestion at the top jump area would prob have a waiting line of a few mins. Bear is way too small to wait to open a trail or two. And this idea would get rejected in a heart beat. So overall it would be amazing for bear to wait a couple of days to open cascade but it is not realistic.

• 2 weeks later...
sounds legit to me. have a few little jibs and rails set up somewhere else and blast the hell out of the big park to set it up right when it opens, even if it means a week or two later.

KT knows what is up. Anyone who can handle truly big features would rather wait to hit good big features than crappy medium ones.

sounds legit to me. have a few little jibs and rails set up somewhere else and blast the hell out of the big park to set it up right when it opens, even if it means a week or two later.

thats exactly what boulder is doing they have the plaza set up and nothing on boulder park

thats so they can just blow snow on it at any possible time

to set up some jumps early and then a park on freedom with some rails

Liking the constructive criticism. Keep it coming. I agree maybe move the rails down a bit or just put something there that isn't hikable so kids aren't sitting there. also maybe keep the 2 jump line on skiers right going all the way down the trail and into the tubing park. Maybe get a few tables that pop high and are short after those first two jumps. Kind of BMX dirt jump style. I donno could be fun. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure Andy has a good plan though.