Opening of the Parks

burtonkid

For this year on cascade could the park crew please take out all of the ride on boxes. Also, it would be really good if the park crew can make sure that you make it clear that cascade is and expert park. I think you would get a lot more riders if you guys had more difficult setups to ensure little kids and begginners will stay out of cascade.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liking the constructive criticism. Keep it coming. I agree maybe move the rails down a bit or just put something there that isn't hikable so kids aren't sitting there. also maybe keep the 2 jump line on skiers right going all the way down the trail and into the tubing park. Maybe get a few tables that pop high and are short after those first two jumps. Kind of BMX dirt jump style. I donno could be fun. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure Andy has a good plan though.

YES! you've got it an actual line of jumps especially some BMX dirt style jumps, I mean it seemed like they just didn't know what to lay down along the skiers right of cascade but I hope they put that butter box thing back in.

YES! you've got it an actual line of jumps especially some BMX dirt style jumps, I mean it seemed like they just didn't know what to lay down along the skiers right of cascade but I hope they put that butter box thing back in.

Yea that would be pretty kick ass like 5-6 10-15 foot booters with trickable lips and enough elevation change and transom so anyone can hit the whole line clean as long as they land and pump the trannys. mmm pumping trannys. not quite the same feeling on snow as it is on wheels but it would good on the right woods side of cascade fer sho - esp if its sessionable in length.

I agree with this two, it makes a lot more sense. On the crowding issue - you can have the trail OPEN, just don't have features on it. Then you can blow snow on it at any possible time, if you are free riding through it doesn't matter if the guns are going, and it doesn't matter if they build whales at night. If you have features out there they are getting buried and you have to dig them out and reset them and groom around them, just save the time and money of trying to maintain a few rails while you are building your base. Worse comes to worse at least then you have snow on the trail when warm weather hits - so you could always set them up later. Another option if you really want to fit more rails on the mountain is to set up a temporary park on another trail while blowing Cascade, but generally thats un necessary. Boulder opened with 8 rails and it kept hundreds of people busy for three weeks, and it didn't seem any worse than a normal after school at Mountain Creek just because they had enough space in between that people hiking didn't block the landing for the rail before.

I'd also love to see a set of say 6 or so rails set up in a sort of railjam or comp set up, so you drop in choose from two or three rails come down choose from another two or three and then maybe even another row of features after that at the bottom; just something to really hike and session and that should also cut down on people crowding the trails because most people crowding a trail are hiking and sessioning one or two rails, so make a sort of rail park and you'll have more space to really make a flowing park with multiple lines and hits that you can hit and not really have to wait for.

I'd also love to see a set of say 6 or so rails set up in a sort of railjam or comp set up, so you drop in choose from two or three rails come down choose from another two or three and then maybe even another row of features after that at the bottom; just something to really hike and session and that should also cut down on people crowding the trails because most people crowding a trail are hiking and sessioning one or two rails, so make a sort of rail park and you'll have more space to really make a flowing park with multiple lines and hits that you can hit and not really have to wait for.

Yeah but that would cut up on the number of people getting hit becuase most people dont do lines like that...they stop after one feature and wait for their friends or something. Also the flow of traffic would just never work because you would have people trying to cut from the left feature to the right feature and from the right feature to the left feature and it would just get to be a battle zone. Then you have the people who only wanna hike one of those features and sit on the landing of another. In a perfect world that would be amazing but in a bear creek world im not so sure if it would work. I do agree on the no ride on's in cascade though... and with the rhythm section idea. That would be mad fun.

I like the direction this thread has turned. All well thought out and no "flamed" posts. It would be nice if it were always like this. I'm sure that a lot more has been achieved by these suggestions and comments then by "(fill in unpleasant thing) sucks!" I have a feeling that once winter starts if we can make a thread of constructive feedback, Bear will listen and everyone will be happier. In a nutshell say: "The new rail looks good but maybe you could try to set it up with a more urban takeoff" or "That table has been the same for a while, I think a step up or hip would be a fun change." Saying "Why would you ever put that rail there it sucks so much! I hate Bear Creek! The employees suck!" will successfully piss off a lot of people and not get the change you really want to happen.

I like the direction this thread has turned. All well thought out and no "flamed" posts. It would be nice if it were always like this. I'm sure that a lot more has been achieved by these suggestions and comments then by "(fill in unpleasant thing) sucks!" I have a feeling that once winter starts if we can make a thread of constructive feedback, Bear will listen and everyone will be happier. In a nutshell say: "The new rail looks good but maybe you could try to set it up with a more urban takeoff" or "That table has been the same for a while, I think a step up or hip would be a fun change." Saying "Why would you ever put that rail there it sucks so much! I hate Bear Creek! The employees suck!" will successfully piss off a lot of people and not get the change you really want to happen.

ding ding ding. you win.

Im interested to see what the set up opening day is gonna be like. I had the chance yesterday when i was picking up my pass to check out the bleacher box and it looks like its gonna be a real good time, would like to see that opening day. It would be awesome if they had enough snow to put a little jump in too. Last years opening set up was pretty nice so i got high hopes for this opening day.

also.....

I heard the other day that bear is still pushing to put a super pipe in but b/c of the hotel costing so much and taking so long that it got pushed back....has anyone else heard this? I know it was originally proposed and then nothing went through with it. I think as long as they had the crew to take care of such an enormous thing that it would be a really good thing for bear. It would def probably bring alot more sponsors and maybe somemore big name competitions.

I heard the other day that bear is still pushing to put a super pipe in but b/c of the hotel costing so much and taking so long that it got pushed back....has anyone else heard this? I know it was originally proposed and then nothing went through with it. I think as long as they had the crew to take care of such an enormous thing that it would be a really good thing for bear. It would def probably bring alot more sponsors and maybe somemore big name competitions.

Bear hosts the 2009 X-Games... I can see it already...

Personally I think Bear needs to get the pipe they already have into top notch condition at least more than half the time its actually open.

Walk before you run.

The reason bears pipe sucks so much all the time is because they dont have the man power to maintain it. They have a pipe cutter but he's only there a couple days so he only cuts it every once in a while. That seems to be the main problem when i talk to people from park crew is that they are trying to do so much that their stretched so thin. Its amazing that andy can actually do all the things he does. As long as they brought in someone who knew what they were doing and was there at least once a week to cut the pipe i think they could easily do it. I also think that the opportunities that it would bring to bear would be incredible. You joke about things like the olympics but its not that far fetched. Maybe not the olympics but the grand prix is a possibility...especially with the new hotel facility. It has been at mtn creek for i dunno how long but with the weather lately i know they had to cancell it last year so things like that are a possibility....if they would put in a superpipe.

I don't think a superpipe is worth it. Mountain Creek's was a deserted waste land, the difficulty of them prevents all but the best riders from using them. Not to mention you don't have a snowball chance in hell if you don't have the right equipment. I can air out a few feet on board every hit all the way down, get a spin here and there, but with my other board, can't even make it to the lip. The amount of snow it takes is unfathomable, I mean you could easily make 4-5 30 foot table top jumps WITH dirt under neith. In the end just make those nasty jump lines, you have so much more fun. The weather at Bear is just way too fickle for a super pipe. Just make a 13 foot pipe that is nice.

I hope they don't make a superpipe like rowsdower said learn to walk before you try and run, I mean they struggle with their pipe but I say if they have some trouble maintaining their pipe; practice by making some full snow quarters maybe at the end of the jump line or on the side of cascade or at the bottom of black bear, so they can really get how to manage the transition down besides who wouldn't want to see a nice 10 foot all snow quarter granted the snow in the state and so on would make it really hard to pull something like that off but hey we can dream can't we? :D

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to say after reading some of the most recent posts that having very good pipe this year is on my agenda! I went to two different seminars this year on pipe building and cutting and also was able to get alot of hands on cutting time in at Mt. hood Oregon. In the past i was never the one physically behind the wheel while cutting the pipe, but now that ive been officailly trained how to use a zaugg, i should be good to go. Bob Hipp is our other park groomer and he is the one who has cut the pipe in the past. He also was with me at Cutters Camp, and he feels alot better about building a solid pipe after that. The plan as it stands is to cut the pipe about 2-3 times per week. Im dedicating myself to mostly grooming hours this year so if all works as planned it will be cut regularly once open. Just thought id throw that out there... And im an avid pipe skier so believe me id love to have a great pipe aswell. Take Care Andy