Will Boulder Go 100% Before anyone else is open?

Papasteeze

Boulder 100% before anyone else is open  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your best guess

• YES
    • NO
    • 75%
    • 50%

Yes for many reasons...they already have three runs open and they are blowing on others, Big Boulder is small and doesn't have alot of terrain to cover, they have awesome snowmaking..and they are high elevation.

Yeah what Doug said. Although it is impressive, it would be more impressive if they did it on the amount of terrain that Blue or CB has.

Yeah what Doug said. Although it is impressive, it would be more impressive if they did it on the amount of terrain that Blue or CB has.

what is impressive is that they have more fire power per acre. Only bear creek has more and right fully so, they have to deal with a different climate.

I'm sorry but if anyone on here can't give BB props for opening Nov 10th and possibly not closing a single day till the end of season then they are just plain full of shit.

Peak has raised the game to a new level in skiing PA. Pa mountain open before a lot of the west? Mad Props..

what is impressive is that they have more fire power per acre. Only bear creek has more and right fully so, they have to deal with a different climate.

I agree, but it is easier for them to achieve more firepower per acre due to their small acreage and the fact that their small acreage doesn't seem to affect the number of lift tickets they sell compared to blue or cb. Would it be right to say that they get the same ballpark numbers of visitors as blue or cb? If so, that gives them more money per acre to spend on snowmaking. I really would like to see a bigger mountain like blue or cb get bb's attitude and start upping the ante the same way bb is doing. It would be nice to be able to ski a mountain this early where you can't see the end of the run from the top.

Regardless, bb is stepping up and setting the bar for snowmaking in pa.

I agree, but it is easier for them to achieve more firepower per acre due to their small acreage and the fact that their small acreage doesn't seem to affect the number of lift tickets they sell compared to blue or cb. Would it be right to say that they get the same ballpark numbers of visitors as blue or cb? If so, that gives them more money per acre to spend on snowmaking. I really would like to see a bigger mountain like blue or cb get bb's attitude and start upping the ante the same way bb is doing. It would be nice to be able to ski a mountain this early where you can't see the end of the run from the top.

there is no such thing as a mt that you can't see the bottom of the run in pa

I really would like to see a bigger mountain like blue or cb get bb's attitude and start upping the ante the same way bb is doing. It would be nice to be able to ski a mountain this early where you can't see the end of the run from the top.

Boulder's crazy sub-climate is what gives them the best advantage. Blue and CB really can't get open before they get a week of solid temps, where Boulder only needs a couple days. Those places just aren't able to blow when Boulder often is due to temps. Its a lot like the difference between Blue and Bear Creek. The difference 20-30 miles makes is amazing.

I think the key is just a massive earthmoving effort that increases Boulder in size by 800 feet to become the new tallest area in PA.

hold on - yeah it is great they have snow but full price for two runs? it is much easier to cover when there are fewer surfaces to cover. in additions they do not have to cover any connecting trails in order to open which means you are far less spread out. "more firepower per acre" can be achieved two ways more firepower or less acres. In this case both are true.

I think because the other mountains don't have the same climate conditions they don't bother with the investment. i am not sure that more firepower would help - location, location, location. that is why it is not closer because closer = less snow. BBJF is smart for making the investment in the "firepower" (i prefer the term snow-power) because their locations gives them the best chance to make the most of it. however their locations also limits the available terrain.

Ahhh always a trade off in life!

They should just consider Boulder a part of upstate New York or something. I'd love to see a bigger mountain do what BB does but even with that much snowmaking power its not possible climatologically speaking. Blue has to deal with different temps at the base and peak, Bear is too far south, and Camelback is... well, Camelback.

:blink: While I agree that BB is tiny compared to Blue, CB, Elk, etc. I am impressed that they are willing to open in pa in early november and I love it. I have only been there once in my 25 yrs of skiing and have no plans of ever returning, but you have to love the aggressive approach. I hope those who ski/ride there are taking advantage of the early season. I also hope that the bigger resorts will step up and take notice. I can't ever remember a PA resort being open in early november and staying open and blowing snow at every opportunity. Great!

:blink: While I agree that BB is tiny compared to Blue, CB, Elk, etc. I am impressed that they are willing to open in pa in early november and I love it. I have only been there once in my 25 yrs of skiing and have no plans of ever returning, but you have to love the aggressive approach. I hope those who ski/ride there are taking advantage of the early season. I also hope that the bigger resorts will step up and take notice. I can't ever remember a PA resort being open in early november and staying open and blowing snow at every opportunity. Great!

Like stated in Previous posts, because of BB's climate they are able to blow while other places aren't which is a problem. It's not that the other resorts don't want to blow snow, it's that they aren't able to because of the temp.

Bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit. I'm so sick of hearing this fan boy bullshit. Yea Boulder is smaller but that has NOTHING to do with getting open early. The other mountains don't open early because they DON'T WANT TO or CAN'T, not because they are bigger. Size has nothing to do with it AT ALL. Surely with being open 100% it does, but one trail is one trail, anyone can do it if they made the effort.

If mountain creek had the weather that JFBB has they could blow snow on Sugar and open a run the size of freedom in a night too - but they don't get the weather, and if they did they don't have the guns on that. They are using air/water tripod guns spaced out at the same distance that Boulder has fan guns. That isn't going to do it.

Laurel Glade is no bigger than Freedom park at Boulder, and it has a lift, but they don't have guns running on that. I went to Boulder the day that they started up the guns for every trail other than Freedom for the first time. At 2 in the afternoon they where running guns on about 80% of the trails, everything but Mittiweg, Freedom, and one other. I passed Camelback and they where blowing too - so the weather wasn't the issue. That was a week ago, why didn't camelback get Laurel glade open ,they had over 40 hours of snowmaking weather, in less time Boulder was able to get freedom open in early novemeber.

Blue mountain could run the guns on tubing and get a mini-park open, but in reality they probably have the worst situation, they have no short lifts. Shawnee again only has the bunny hill lifts so not really a contender either.

As for getting to 100% because they are shorter, but they have 6 top to bottom runs open. At 450 feet each that is 21000 vert added up - its like having challenge and razors open at Blue, or two trails at Camelback. But the important stat is ZERO trails open at those mountains, and MANY at Boulder. Don't trash it because it is small, everyone should have tried to get out for a $20 ticket to help JFBB out. The earlier they open the season, the harder everyone else will push. If people start changing their passes there, and spending money early/late there, other mountains will have to compete. That makes it better for everyone, so stop minimizing it - sitting on your ass and saying well if camelback did it then I would care is just saying to camelback that they don't need to do it. They aren't losing anything to JFBB if you don't get off your computer/high horse and ski at a competitor while they're sitting with their thumbs up their collective asses for the last few years.

But camelback and mountain creek have possible runs (laurel glade and sugar) that they COULD open if they had the right snowmaking guns, will power, and budget. They just DON'T.

You kind of missed my point. I wasn't really bashing on Boulder, I was actually commending them. All I was saying is they have a ton less terrain than anyone else to be able to claim 100%, while they're working on a similar budget. That is why it is worthwhile for them to open. And as far as getting off my ass and going up there, it would be tough to get me there even if I wasn't 1000 miles away because its so small. Its great that everyone else can enjoy it and whatnot, but when it gets to the point that I am spending more time on the lift then the trail, its not worth my money. I would simply rather save my money for a couple weeks and ride somewhere else.... again, thats just my opinion.

While at Boulder tonight, I kept saying to myself that if this was Dec 2nd 2005, I'd probably be home right now wishing I was skiing in the freshly fallen snow instead of actually being out skiing in it. The 4 inches we got last night would have been wasted then. Serious props to Peak and JFBB for their agressive approach probably knowing that it would cater to the harcore skiers and riders in the beginning. But I think it's paid off. The lot has been pretty packed everytime I've been there so far. And next weekend when most if not all of the mountains in our area are just getting started, Big Boulder will likely be 100% and Jack Frost will have everything except East Mt. I can't remember a Mt. with so much open terrain this early in PA.

As much as I dislike some of the things that BB has done, I give them credit for opening early and staying open late. I also like how they have not cluttered up the open runs, yet. Some people on here say that they don't want to spend $20 on a lift ticket, because BB is so small. $20 is a good deal, for a weekend pass. It's also better than not skiing at all. I would think that everything should be open, after this week.

Edited by bigdaddyk