Power to the Poachers

vtboarder

Has anyone seen this yet? Pretty funny, I'm sure these 4 resorts are going to be seeing this alot this winter. It doesn't really bother me that I can't ride MRG, doesn't really appeal to me with minimal snowmaking capabilities and slow old school chairs, and I've heard Alta would suck for riding anyway...lots of flat traverses. Anyway, here you go....

Lol, thats great. I seen an ad for it but thats the first video I seen. I don't really care about Deer Valley or Taos b/c I have no interest in going there. Why the hell would you want to ride at Deer Valley with there 300 inches or take a 20 minute drive and hit Snowbird and Brighton which average 5oo inches, have better terrain, and usually get closer to 600 inches. It would be nice to ride Alta and see what all the hype is about. Mad River does look like it has some good terrain and I wouldn't mind hitting that up.

except for snowlerbladers..they;re fruitcakes..lol

Last year at Blue these two fat, old chicks were telling me that blading is the way to go cause it doesn't tire you out as much. I wanted to tell them that it wouldn't hurt them to push it a little but I was afraid they'd sit on me.

Edited by sexkitten

Lol, thats great. I seen an ad for it but thats the first video I seen. I don't really care about Deer Valley or Taos b/c I have no interest in going there. Why the hell would you want to ride at Deer Valley with there 300 inches or take a 20 minute drive and hit Snowbird and Brighton which average 5oo inches, have better terrain, and usually get closer to 600 inches. It would be nice to ride Alta and see what all the hype is about. Mad River does look like it has some good terrain and I wouldn't mind hitting that up.

I don't think that video is actually one in the contest. It looks like it's been made by Burton, seeing as Jeremy Jones is in a bunch of the scenes.

Ugh, I've never been out west and I'm dieing to go. I had some giant fat kid with rich parents come into work looking for new ski blades cuz his wouldn't get him through the powder at Snowbird with his parents. I was like BUY SKIS YOU STUPID FATASS WAY TO WASTE A FREE TRIP TO SNOWBIRD.

thats funny. snowblades are pretty sweet though. they are definitely going to make a comeback in the near future... i feel it.

and dude... go out west asap.

No matter how you feel about it, that's a great way insure that those resorts won't allow boarders anytime soon, and will only serve to reinforce those resorts reasons for the ban. That's especially true about the way the riders were purposely brushing the people on the Deer Valley video.

The $$$ signs on the guys head who was explaining in a nice way why they didn't allow boarders, should be on Jake Burton's head. Burton is losing market share big time, and this is all about getting Burton an image at a really good price. ($5,000.00? It will cost all the poachers combined alot more than that! And give Burton virtually free marketing at the poachers expense! :P ) Go ahead all you wannabe poachers. Pay for a full price ticket at one of those resorts for one run. The resorts and Jake Burton will be laughing all the way to the bank! :lol:

How do you figure it will cost someone 5 g's to poach a ski resort? Maybe 50-60 bucks tops for the lift ticket, or you could just hike up before the lifts even start turning and do it for free... And about not allowing snowboarders at those resorts in the future.. I could honestly care less, i can't speak for everyone but there are TONS of other resorts to ride that have better terrain then Alta, DV, Taos, and MRG. So we aren't missing out on shit to begin with, if anything it's those resorts missing out on the the profits of a sport that is growing at a TREMENDOUS rate. So who's really at a loss?

And how is this getting burton an "image" it's a contest to see who can make the best video of poaching a snowboarderless resort... I don't see where you get your ideas from.

How do you figure it will cost someone 5 g's to poach a ski resort?

While being extremely cool I'm not sure how worhwhile it would be to do this.

Travel expenses to all 4 resorts, lift tickets, cameras, skis, it all adds up to some major $$$$. I can't imagine that you would be making all that much profit when all is said and done.

If any crew tries to hit up all 4 resorts they will easily spend $5000.

Even if no crew hits all 4, the combined profit from the various filming groups for tickets will likely make each resort several thousand.

Agreed with a easy image makeover (they have the web a-buzz with this contest). Agreed this will do nothing to help get snowboards on the mountain. You do have to admit though, it would be a blast pissing off all the yuppies who ride these places to get away from those damn snowboarders.

No matter how you feel about it, that's a great way insure that those resorts won't allow boarders anytime soon, and will only serve to reinforce those resorts reasons for the ban. That's especially true about the way the riders were purposely brushing the people on the Deer Valley video.

The $$$ signs on the guys head who was explaining in a nice way why they didn't allow boarders, should be on Jake Burton's head. Burton is losing market share big time, and this is all about getting Burton an image at a really good price. ($5,000.00? It will cost all the poachers combined alot more than that! And give Burton virtually free marketing at the poachers expense! :P ) Go ahead all you wannabe poachers. Pay for a full price ticket at one of those resorts for one run. The resorts and Jake Burton will be laughing all the way to the bank! :lol:

Yea where can you come up with any of that other than the resorts not allowing the boarders in the future. Obviously they never will. MRG is owned by a private group of people and they all are against it - no market pressure will change that. Deer Valley and Alta are in the most competitive market in the country since they are all so damn close to each other, it separates the resorts. Deer Valley is inferior to the local competition so they groom it out like crazy, ban snowboarders, and sell it as the "family" resort for intermediate wealthy skiers - the vast majority of all skiers. Toas does it for the same reason, not many would go to Toas except for the lack of snowboarders - it is what puts them on the map. The only one that MAY ever is Alta. But everyone says Alta needs a lot of side hiking/skinning to get to the goods, so why bother when Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, PCMR and the Canyons are RIGHT THERE. So oh well.

Sure it is an image thing for Burton, but so what? Its not like Atomic is doing it, Burton is the most legit of all snowboard companies. So they are trying to get marketing out of it, are they bad for it? No more so than they are for sponsoring pro-snowboarders. At the end of the day, a bunch of people are going to get some for doing something fun while snowboarding, thats awesome. It isn't like they said "Burn down Alta and we'll give you 5,000). In the video they hiked up the night before to plant the snowboards. It is no different than people who poach now by hiking up, so they left 5 snowboard trails and snowed a few people, it is not like they hurt anything. And yea it costs a lot to fly from here to there to do it. But you can fly out there for a vacation, do it for 3 hours one morning and do the rest of your trip at other places. Not to mention all the locals. It is just FUNNY, and I love it.

How do you figure it will cost someone 5 g's to poach a ski resort? Maybe 50-60 bucks tops for the lift ticket, or you could just hike up before the lifts even start turning and do it for free... And about not allowing snowboarders at those resorts in the future.. I could honestly care less, i can't speak for everyone but there are TONS of other resorts to ride that have better terrain then Alta, DV, Taos, and MRG. So we aren't missing out on shit to begin with, if anything it's those resorts missing out on the the profits of a sport that is growing at a TREMENDOUS rate. So who's really at a loss?

And how is this getting burton an "image" it's a contest to see who can make the best video of poaching a snowboarderless resort... I don't see where you get your ideas from.

I'm talking about all of the poachers who will attemp to poach those resorts combined will cost alot more than $5K. But it will only cost Burton $5,000.00. They got many times that in marketing already, and they haven't even paid the $5K yet! It's a great marketing ploy! I'd love to meet the guy who came up with it!

Check out the price of a ticket at those resorts. Deer Valley is $79.00. Just one boarder and one camera person are going to pay $148.00 for one run! Now multiply that times all the people who are going to try it at all 4 resorts. I'll guarantee you that each resort makes more than $5,000.00 each from this marketing campaign. And the fools paying for the tickets are giving Burton very, very cheap marketing. Why don't you ask if Burton will pay for your tickets, even if you don't win? I think we all know the answer to that one! Go ahead fools; Poach all you want. At all 4 resorts. Burton makes money. The resorts make money. You lose money. Unless of course you're the one person who wins. Remember, it's only one $5K, no matter how many people it takes to make the video. How much you wanna bet it will be a video with more than 2 people?

And the net result? The resorts will only be more convinced to not allow boarders. But Burton got their free marketing. Who's head should the $ signs be on now?

I'm talking about all of the poachers who will attemp to poach those resorts combined will cost alot more than $5K. But it will only cost Burton $5,000.00. They got many times that in marketing already, and they haven't even paid the $5K yet! It's a great marketing ploy! I'd love to meet the guy who came up with it!

Check out the price of a ticket at those resorts. Deer Valley is $79.00. Just one boarder and one camera person are going to pay $148.00 for one run! Now multiply that times all the people who are going to try it at all 4 resorts. I'll guarantee you that each resort makes more than $5,000.00 each from this marketing campaign. And the fools paying for the tickets are giving Burton very, very cheap marketing. Why don't you ask if Burton will pay for your tickets, even if you don't win? I think we all know the answer to that one! Go ahead fools; Poach all you want. At all 4 resorts. Burton makes money. The resorts make money. You lose money. Unless of course you're the one person who wins. Remember, it's only one $5K, no matter how many people it takes to make the video. How much you wanna bet it will be a video with more than 2 people?

And the net result? The resorts will only be more convinced to not allow boarders. But Burton got their free marketing. Who's head should the $ signs be on now?

Edited by vtboarder

I think you may understand this already, but I wasn't totally clear from the posts above. It's $5000.00 per resort...so no one needs to go to all 4 resorts. You could do 1 poach and win the money....and regardless of how the people at these resorts feel about snowboarders, poaching or not, the only thing that will change the resort's rejection of snowboarders is the financial aspect. Bottom line is that I don't think the money is going to be at the forefront of why people poach this season...everyone understands the odds....what will drive people to do this is the fun of it, and you'll be able to share your videos on the Burton website. It's not always about the prize.

Yea but you don't need to buy a ticket. They just bought tickets for the sake of riding up the lifts. Obviously they got up there the night before on foot or snowmobile to plant the boards, the boards don't grow in the woods. So why not just hike up pre-dawn and snowboard down at some point? That is what 99% of people poaching Alta have done before. Go on TGR, people do it EVERY year, Burton hardly invented the idea. So bring your camera this year instead of not bringing it, you might win $5,000. And it IS pocket change to all involved - EXCEPT the riders who win. My store alone can sell $5,000 of Burton gear in a weekend during the peak season, it is nothing. And $5,000 to a ski resort is also nothing when the electricity bills are so outragous. But $5,000 for the local who filmed their normal annual poaching trip is a lot of money. There is nothing wrong with free marketing and publicity, so what? So what Burton gets their name thrown around, whats wrong with that? They came up with a fun contest, is it any different than the "show up for first chair and get free 686 gear" contests? Or the mountain dew vertical challenge contests? That doesn't cost them anything compared to how much mountain dew they sell, do you get pissed they are sponsoring the event? Are you mad that the pro snowboarders are covered in stickers for all the free marketing the companies get in exchange for paying them so little? Marketing is just that, leverage a little money and make a lot more in return. Good for Burton for making a cool contest with a good idea.

Yea but you don't need to buy a ticket. They just bought tickets for the sake of riding up the lifts.

Actually in burtons rules for poaching it says "always buy a lift ticket." They don't want to promote anything illegal. yea the mtns don't allow boarders but i don't think its a state law, whats the most they can do, take your ticket and kick you out, if caught.

Than your an idiot..... if someone has to explain to you how this is all about image than you need to take Marketing 101 again, notice how they deleted 10 pages of negative posts off the Burton message board. Burton is the 600 pound gorilla that swears to you that its a rebel and all that bs.....Burton is the wal mart of snow sports ask any shop people about there policies. If you want one piece of Burton gear you have to take the whole deal crap and all, kind of leaves less room for other brands don't you think.

Regardless I always love the alta "poaches" dumb shits think poaching is coming over to albion base, happens every f**king day. Here is a clue, Alta is on federal land if you want to poach Alta throw sick methods off Supreme lift. Regardless Alta would suck on anything other than split boards since you can't traverse to save your life. Snowbird is the better mountain just skip the whole Alta deal.

MRG was actually one of the first places to allow snowboarding, but it derailed the single chair all the time so they restricted it to the other chairs. Snowboarders rightly bitched about terrain and she said f it and banned them from the mountain all together.

Taos is sick with snow, Kachina is as real as it gets your missing something here.

DV is for rich gapers which can be good fun, also they rarely leave the groomers. If you have ever been to Alta and at Collins on a good day you know how fast the pow gets killed never underestimate a place that holds snow.

Overall the whole thing is just stupid, these resorts aren't restricting snowboards because they have some bs vendetta. The fact is that there is a market out there in that some skiers bought into the whole 90's skier/boarder bs and will go to these places for this reason alone.

What would be crazy interesting is to see the reverse....Brighton would be a good canidate but there entire patrol are skiers, still people would be pissed.

Than your an idiot..... if someone has to explain to you how this is all about image than you need to take Marketing 101 again, notice how they deleted 10 pages of negative posts off the Burton message board. Burton is the 600 pound gorilla that swears to you that its a rebel and all that bs.....Burton is the wal mart of snow sports ask any shop people about there policies. If you want one piece of Burton gear you have to take the whole deal crap and all, kind of leaves less room for other brands don't you think.

What the fuck are you talking about? I've worked at a shop for 5 years through high school and college, met our rep every year, been to every clinic and demo day, if you go into a shop and they tell you you can't buy it one thing without the rest of the package - the shop is lieing to you. That shot all your creditability to hell because you just don't know what the hell you are saying.

Stop being a burton-hater and advertising-hater. Burton does more for this sport than any other snowboard company, Burton boards are made in North America for the most part - only GNU/Lib Tech, Santa Cruz (I believe?) and Arbor can say that. They are one of the oldest companies, and they are still independent. They are nothing like Walmart. Sure their stuff is the most popular, but that is not without reason.

And opening for new brands? Go look in a good shop, there is more choice now than ever. As Ride and K2 have faltered, GNU/Libtech, Arbor, Rome, Batteleon, 32, and Flow have started growing. There are more independents than ever.

I think you may understand this already, but I wasn't totally clear from the posts above. It's $5000.00 per resort...so no one needs to go to all 4 resorts. You could do 1 poach and win the money....and regardless of how the people at these resorts feel about snowboarders, poaching or not, the only thing that will change the resort's rejection of snowboarders is the financial aspect. Bottom line is that I don't think the money is going to be at the forefront of why people poach this season...everyone understands the odds....what will drive people to do this is the fun of it, and you'll be able to share your videos on the Burton website. It's not always about the prize.

FUN! atleast someone else thinks the way i do.

Regardless I always love the alta "poaches" dumb shits think poaching is coming over to albion base, happens every f**king day. Here is a clue, Alta is on federal land if you want to poach Alta throw sick methods off Supreme lift. Regardless Alta would suck on anything other than split boards since you can't traverse to save your life. Snowbird is the better mountain just skip the whole Alta deal.

MRG was actually one of the first places to allow snowboarding, but it derailed the single chair all the time so they restricted it to the other chairs. Snowboarders rightly bitched about terrain and she said f it and banned them from the mountain all together.

Taos is sick with snow, Kachina is as real as it gets your missing something here.

DV is for rich gapers which can be good fun, also they rarely leave the groomers. If you have ever been to Alta and at Collins on a good day you know how fast the pow gets killed never underestimate a place that holds snow.

Overall the whole thing is just stupid, these resorts aren't restricting snowboards because they have some bs vendetta. The fact is that there is a market out there in that some skiers bought into the whole 90's skier/boarder bs and will go to these places for this reason alone.

What would be crazy interesting is to see the reverse....Brighton would be a good canidate but there entire patrol are skiers, still people would be pissed.

Umm.. Sure. Never took marketing and never will. So i could really care less, and i stopped reading the BMB years ago because of how retarded it is. The core group that actually made that place cool years ago, is long gone, and now it's just filled with morons.

And does this contest bother you skiers so much that you have to sit here and argue about stupid crap...?

It would be interesting to see Baker ban skiing. Since that is/was the mecca of snowboarding