Yakima ski/snowboard rack

Dan-

I have a yakima ski/snowboard rack i need to get rid of. Will hold 2-4 boards depending on widths, and probably 4 pairs of ski's. I'll put up some pictures if anyone is interested.

I was thinking 65 obo.

For a little extra i can throw in 2 locks and a key if interested.

def interested...umm is this rack for a suv that already has the cross memebers or for a car that doesnt have anything? Pics would be cool too

It'll fit factory bars, you just need to get the mighty mounts that fit what you have

I'll get pic's up asap.

Edited by Dan-

Around 30 bucks. Unless your SUV has round bars. I have the mounts for round bars, but most factory racks dont' use round bars and it's some stupid wierd shape. In which case the mounts i have will not work.

• 1 month later...
What do I need to mount this to sedan with no roof hardware at all ???

IF it works, I'm interested.

You'll need q towers, q clips, and bars. Will run you somewhere around 250 for the rack system.

And im going to disagree with POC, my roof is fine, and i've had my rack on since the middle of the summer. Unless your an idiot, your roof will be fine, it's just costly to get the rack.

I'd also recommend locks, the fairing is not really necessary, it just makes it look better in my opinion. I don't think it really cuts down on noise.

Edited by Dan-

You are probably correct, I looked into it years ago and remember it costing more and damaging the roof during installation. I thought drilling was required.

Nope no drilling, and there is a rubber piece that goes between the car and the tower so the paint doesn't get damaged. The hardest part is just getting the measurements, and if you know how to use a tape measure then your golden.. Which i hope isn't to hard.

When I had a rack on my Acura it really put a dent in my mileag.Even with no skis or boards and the fairing installed on it killed it.

Yea that has been known to happen. A lot of people out here get yakima's with the round bars. That way they can fold the carriers back and get a little better mileage when not using them. It looks funny if you ask me, but must do the trick since I see tons of people do it. On the other hand, my buddies 85 Saab actually started getting BETTER mileage with the rack and fairing. Go figure.

I finally got a roof rack this year and love it. I've got a Thule though, that mounts in the OEM roof rack points (no door bs, and no drilling). Only downside is I dropped down to like 24mpg on the highway.

Thank's for posting that info Jeff. :)

I just decided against ever installing a ski rack. :(

I love my box. Regardless of the shitty mileage, beats throwing, dirty, muddy, boots and gear in my trunk. Plus makes the ride so much more comfortable when i have 3-4 people in my car going to the hill since whatever doesn't fit in my trunk can go in the box, instead of at someones feet or on there lap.

Oh and the rack is most likely sold.

Edited by Dan-

I love my box. Regardless of the shitty mileage, beats throwing, dirty, muddy, boots and gear in my trunk. Plus makes the ride so much more comfortable when i have 3-4 people in my car going to the hill since whatever doesn't fit in my trunk can go in the box, instead of at someones feet or on there lap.

Hey Dan. I already get HORRIBLE mileage with my daily driver. I just don;t want to make it any worse.

I'm sure you are selling a great rack and everyone knows how useful they are. :)

Same motivation for me getting a roof rack...I was sick of throwing my skis inside the car, albeit in the built in ski bag, but it still made a mess with snow melting etc. Also, it truly allows me to take more then 1 other person skiing.

TT, it dropped down to 24mpg from like 27mpg, and that's coupled with the 15% shorter diff that killed another 2mpg. With a car with normal gearing, you'd only lose 2-3mpg. 24mpg was driving to VT w/ the cruise at 79mph pretty much the entire way.

Since you car pool, you'd quickly find a rack a big time space saver. No need to use the pass through or built in ski bag.