Carpooled to JFBB today with 2 new members. Great snow. One Park closed? Lift closed? ONLY 1 jump!=disappointed

TT C6

2 new members from our Philadelphia club e-mailed me about going to JFBB today. We met up at Plymouth Meeting Mall and carpooled up in one of their cars. I have never met these guys before, but as usual, they turned out to be really friendly and great to hang out with. The one who goes to Temple U. used to live/work at Steamboat, so he is obviously a great rider. The other guy hasn't ridden a while because he just got out of the Marines, but he got comfortable riding again pretty quickly.

We started at JF, and was really happy with the snow. Soft and a little wet, but not to the point where it slowed you down. There was a lot of fog, but it wasn't that big of a deal. After the ONLY jump at BB under 35ft was removed for NO reason, I really wanted to hit the 2 jumps at JF's ONE park. I was REALLY disappointed to find ONE park closed because the park crew was setting up yet another rail. I don't know why they can't work on these things after hours or 1st thing in the morning. But, it really pissed me off that we drove all the way up there, bought lift tickets, then found the park closed. The east mountain was closed and it bummed the other guys out. We got maybe 20 runs in and then headed to BB.

The 1st thing we found at BB was the lift at Boulder park was running , but no attendant was there and it was marked closed. The ski patrol I spoke to agreed that it was pretty stupid having it closed. Especially after seeing what seemed to be BB employees standing around talking nearby. No, the lift never opened up the entire night. The Steamboat guy wanted to hit the 35ft jump on Boulder Park, but even the guys who were hitting it said they were done because it was so dark. I don't know how much the fog had to do with it ,or if it was just bad lighting. Not sure.

Freedom was incredible, as usual, for those that like rails. The Steamboat guy was really impressed, which say a lot after living out there.

I have been really pissed off that the ONLY jump was removed from Freedom and was disappointed to find that it wasn't rebuilt.

There are TONS of rails at BB and ONLY ONE JUMP.

JFBB needs more jumps with ascending sizes and not just ONE jump that is 35ft+ in size.

All in all, it was a great day. I would not have gone if I knew there would be no jumps for me to hit. But, I was glad to meet 2 new members of our group and get to ride with them.

Our group will be doing carpool daytrips both this Saturday and Sunday if anyone wants to meet up in Philly or at the Plymouth Meeting Mall. If you want a ride, or if you want to drive others that will split your gas and tolls, shoot me a PM.

Edited by TT C6

I'm wondering whats up with that as well, Camelback had a nice jump at their hike park and multiple nice jumps on their first opening day. Boulder can build great jumps over 15 foot in size like the line that is usually at JF, plus the stuff in Love and Boulder, but I always found their like mini table 5' jumps to be sub par. There is plenty of fun to be had on 5' jumps but you need some height out of them to throw stuff and I never felt like the mini jumps on Freedom were that great.

Were they blowing on Boulder Park?

Nope

Boulder can build great jumps over 15 foot in size like the line that is usually at JF, plus the stuff in Love and Boulder, but I always found their like mini table 5' jumps to be sub par. There is plenty of fun to be had on 5' jumps but you need some height out of them to throw stuff and I never felt like the mini jumps on Freedom were that great.

I agree. I have no problem hitting mid-size jumps like the ones on Love Park and the 1st one on Boulder Park last year. But, I'd like to warm up for the season on something smaller. In fact, I like to warm up on smaller jumps (10-20ft) every time I ride. I think small jumps can be a lot of fun as well as long as they are really "poppy". But, I don't like jumps that are both big and poppy.

JFBB needs to maintain a fair ratio of jumps to rails. They should have a variety of jumps including small and poppy, mid-sized, and what is typically on Boulder Park.

Edited by TT C6

Found a trip report from yesterday:

Rob, Patrick and myself headed up to JFBB and rode both mountains. "The One" park a JF was closed due to grooming and park maintenance but the conditions of JF were pretty sweet. It was all fresh groomed and no one was there. BB we spent most of the time in the park where the park crew constantly repacking and hand groomed the kickers for the rails. All the landings were soft and buttery. I expected the snow to be heavy and wet but it was anything but that. No ice anywhere, it was almost un-pocono like. All in all i could have not had a better day riding. I never met Rob or Pat before today but those guys are very cool hopefully more of you have a chance to ride with them.

Max

thank god they don't have that jump on freedom anymore. it was a huge waste of snow and trail real estate that could have been used for a good rail setup. you're kidding yourself if you think that trail is suitable for any sort of worthwhile jump.

I agree that no "real" jump could be made on Freedom.

But, don't you think they could have built a small jump with a 5-10ft gap and steep take off/landing just to have fun/warm up on?

Regardless, no matter where it is placed, there should be a proper jump line set up with ascending gap sizes. Having ONE jump that is 35ft + in size and NO other jumps is weak. Especially when you consider there are TONS of rails at BB.

Edited by TT C6

I agree that no "real" jump could be made on Freedom.

But, don't you think they could have built a small jump with a 5-10ft gap and steep take off/landing just to have fun/warm up on?

Regardless, no matter where it is placed, there should be a proper jump line set up with ascending gap sizes. Having ONE jump that is 35ft + in size and NO other jumps is weak. Especially when you consider there are TONS of rails at BB.

so grow some balls and hit the 35.

Yeah I liked the first jump at frost over the weekend it was good for me to get into the groove of actually jumping and having somewhat of a gap to clear unlike the one in freedom but sometimes I like the little jumps in freedom they are fun.

no, because the trail isnt steep enough to get speed for that, unless it was the very first hit in the park, which is was not, and therefor worthless. also, i doubt the jump on boulder was actually 35 feet, but i didn't hit it so i can't be sure. people in the poconos tend to grossly overestimate the size of jumps.

Fair enough.

no, because the trail isnt steep enough to get speed for that, unless it was the very first hit in the park, which is was not, and therefor worthless. also, i doubt the jump on boulder was actually 35 feet, but i didn't hit it so i can't be sure. people in the poconos tend to grossly overestimate the size of jumps.

I got the 35+ ft estimate from park crew and from those that were consistently hitting it.

Either way, I hope they build small and middle sized jump line on Love park ASAP.

Edited by TT C6

also, i doubt the jump on boulder was actually 35 feet, but i didn't hit it so i can't be sure. people in the poconos tend to grossly overestimate the size of jumps.

Oh god not this discussion again.

I'm going to get one of these and settle all of these arguments over the course of the season:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/strai...340.html?ref=42

Oh god not this discussion again.

I'm going to get one of these and settle all of these arguments over the course of the season:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/strai...340.html?ref=42

That's funny. I actually own one already. It needs to hit a flat surface to get a reading. So, we'dd need to stand boards up at the lip and landing in order to get a reading. But, I'd do it. What the hell.