ski/board socks.

that_guy

Not sure if this really belongs here, but there's more traffic on this part of the forums. . .

What's your preference on ski/snowboard socks? I have heard people recommending against thick ones and cotton.

I've also heard of people just using pantyhose, or even going barefoot like hockey players, which do you prefer?

i go for whatever cheap non cotton socks are available at the shops. tried the all teched out ones with like different density materials in different areas, and they feel no different then a straight up cheaper sock. the only reason i even buy a "snowboard" sock is because they are usually really tall, and i like having ones that come up almost to my knee. that way they won't slide down. my favs so far were the 7 dollar 32s i got last year at buy 1 get 1.

I used to be a huge fan of Thorlos until I found the Lorpen Merino Superlite sox for skiing. Go to http://www.lorpen.com/lorpen-na/ and click on Winter Sports products to see them. I got them at Backcountry, but don't see them there at the moment. I've really become a fan of merino wool lately. These socks are thin enough to give good feedback for skiing, but keep you warm. I don't believe in thick socks as it cuts off your circulation around your leg. And I think that my feet are warmer since I switched to wool instead of the Thorlo man-made fibers.

You did not say what you wanted the socks for.... ski or snowboard.

I wear thin merino in ski boots and thick wool hunting socks when snowboarding.

My ski boots would never fit right with thick hunting socks.

I experimented with a dozen high tech thick wool and ski socks before concluding that

the most expensive best thick hunting sock at Kmart was still warmer and cheaper than

any high tech ski sock.

Snowboarding boots can be worn much looser than ski boots so

thick wool hunting socks can be worn in a snowboarding boot.

Also consider that if your feet are cold it may not be the boot or the socks

that are not warm enough. It may be a simple matter of wearing boots too tight

for good blood flow.

If you like a tight boot for control you may be causing problems with heat loss.

If your boot is too snug then you probably are not going to get as much blood flow

as you would wearing a looser boot.

I never had to go into the lodge to warm up toes when I wore hunting socks while snowboarding for 3 hours at 10 degrees.

I couldn't do that long in a snug plastic ski boot and thin merino wool socks.