Blue Mountain in teh Mix for Wind Turbine

Nidecker

True or False? Found some interesting Faq's on it, WFMZ did a segment on it back in 08' said could be a Reality in 2010. I can't believe though that the damn hippie nation will put down the idea becasue of the Migratory pattern of Eagles and what not. They can't look at the bright side that it will also help not use least half as much Electricity and everything else that goes with it. I like what Barbara said about the Migratory pattern though with having a Turbine "We can just shut it off when we don't need it on" REALLY? No shit. But Really it would be pretty sweet to see a huge Wind Fan up on the mountain at a distance. NOT to mention with the Money they save over the years that Barbra can put all the extra to "real" upgrades to the Resort.

They have a test turbine that has been up for some time. I never saw the results of the test, but I'm assuming that since it's always windy up top at ground level, there has got to be some nice potential up higher. As an engineer, I think wind turbines are a thing of a beauty, and not an eye sore like some older people think.

I wonder if they have an installer lined up. I would love to put one up there. They could pay me with a lifetime season pass. Plus a couple hundred grand.

shoot them and email or go there yourself with your business model and show them that you can do it. if they have an installer then you walk away knowing that they will be bettering the environment (except for the birds), if they don't have one then you put yourself in the market to be one. doesn't hurt to try. if i were you i would be on their back nonstop about the benefits it could bring to a 4 season resort that Blue is striving to be.

That would be awesome to see a Turbine or 7 at the top of Blue. The benefits to them financially (after they paid them off) would be entirely worth it to them. Not to mention the huge publicity they could get by advertising as a fairly "Green" mountain.

I think wind turbines are awesome. I'm glad America is getting on the ball and installing more and more of them. A few years ago I saw them in the Netherlands and I was awestruck at the outrageous amounts of them there. It just seemed like the perfect solution. I love alternate energy solutions. I'm actually working on a little geothermal project now down by Arrowhead lake. As much as I love fossil fuels, I just got my acceptance letter into the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, I know we need to get on the ball and start using all the other energy sources out there.

They have a test turbine that has been up for some time. I never saw the results of the test, but I'm assuming that since it's always windy up top at ground level, there has got to be some nice potential up higher. As an engineer, I think wind turbines are a thing of a beauty, and not an eye sore like some older people think.

Yeah I knew about the test turbine, they've had it up since sometime in 2008 so Blue should have some good readings of wind speed and direction by now. It's a great sign that no one has knocked the idea of it down besides the damn tree huggin hippies. I hope it can be a reality soon. Interviews say that the mountain spends on verage of 300,000 dollars a month on electricity..... Those numbers are staggering! Not to mention cost will go up this season with electricity caps ending this year is ridiculous.

I Hope we all can see blue take one step forward to a better "resort"

Putting the turbines in the middle of a migration route would be great for the birds! The outrageously stupid ones who get hit by gigantic windmills will be killed off and the population would be better off genetically. I'd say its a win win. :wiggle

it seems odd to me that some of the most intelligent birds out there wouldn't be smart enough to fly a little higher or around the turbine. and the reading i've done (albeit it wasn't much) talked about how that is typically the case. are some going to die, sure, but i'd bet the bird population will be better off in the long run if wind farms can reduce the pollution we pump into the air they fly through.

Putting the turbines in the middle of a migration route would be great for the birds! The outrageously stupid ones who get hit by gigantic windmills will be killed off and the population would be better off genetically. I'd say its a win win. :wiggle

thats what I say, they are animals they have brains... granted not very big ones... BUT none the less they can do some thinking for themselves and say.... hmmmm this big object wasnt here last year when I passed through I think i'll fly into it... Or maybe they will? Who knows, we can just get National Geographic to do a hour long show of how a Wind Turbine killed off all the Hawks & Eagles. I'd watch that. It will put Blue Mountain on the map.

Silly question but I get my electric power from PPL...where is PPL getting it from???? Coal, nuclear, wind???? I don't quite understand the concept but I do know that these wind turbines can provide power to a couple thousand homes..

I would imagin nuclear, there is one down by Maple Grove Raceway and a few outside Philadelphia etc.

THIS EXPLAINS IT http://www.epbj.com/node/286

Edited by Nidecker25

Silly question but I get my electric power from PPL...where is PPL getting it from???? Coal, nuclear, wind???? I don't quite understand the concept but I do know that these wind turbines can provide power to a couple thousand homes..

PPL gets their power primarily from coal. The idea here is Blue would install the wind turbine and it would provide a chunk of their power. Any power they still need in addition to what the turbine produces will still come from PPL. If Blue put in enough wind turbines to produce more power than they use, PPL would pay them for the excess power generated and fed back into the grid.

People do the same thing all the time with solar and small wind turbines at their houses, this is just on a larger scale.

Where is the excess power stored???

It isn't. It is fed back out into the grid and used by other people. PPL installs a special meter that reads how much power goes back out and subtracts it from your bill. If you end up with a negative bill, the negative amount carries over to the next month. If you still have a negative amount at the end of the year, they will pay you wholesale for the extra power.

The test instruments were put up last year in October, and they were set to run for a full calendar year. If you were at the top of the six pack and looked up past the quad, you saw a tall mast w/ the instruments on it. The standard they're using to make a wind turbine viable is an average wind speed of 15mph. As of the end of the season last year, they were averaging 18mph, but the summer has lower wind speeds than winter. So the study period should just be wrapping up, and the final figures should be put together soon. Based on those figures, they'll figure out whether or not a wind turbine is a good idea.