been thinking

phillycore

Ever since my return from Tahoe I've been really lacking interest in skiing anything longer than 3 hours tops. If conditions aren't perfectin the trees or elevator I get annoyed and just want to leave. Regular trails is just monotanous and I hate waiting in any sort of liftline whatsoever. Its really bumming me out. Anyway I've been thinking since my two little ones are going to be learning and on the beginner hills that maybe I can take advantage of it and try snowboarding out. I'm positive I will suck at it and I doubt I'd do much with it other than mess around. But it wouldn't be boring. I dunno just an idea I've been tossing around

Ever since my return from Tahoe I've been really lacking interest in skiing anything longer than 3 hours tops. If conditions aren't perfectin the trees or elevator I get annoyed and just want to leave. Regular trails is just monotanous and I hate waiting in any sort of liftline whatsoever. Its really bumming me out. Anyway I've been thinking since my two little ones are going to be learning and on the beginner hills that maybe I can take advantage of it and try snowboarding out. I'm positive I will suck at it and I doubt I'd do much with it other than mess around. But it wouldn't be boring. I dunno just an idea I've been tossing around

I hear ya. Going out west or up North spoils me to the point that only days like tomorrow get me pumped to hit the Pokes. JF doesn't have enough vert, but the trees are still fun.

for real. i dont even want to ski anymore. its like going to a skatepark or day care. not a mountain.

i pretty much have no desire to learn any new tricks here, and im not stoked on these storms at all except for urbans i was never able to hit. thats cool, but <1000 vert is stupid. i could go hike around here and ski better terrain.

• Like 1

You say this now but wait until the season ends and we can't ski/ride at all until next winter, we will all be stoked for anything we can get come fall time. I know what you mean though after a great powder day or a trip to a bigger mountain going back to the standard pa conditions is a bit of a bummer but hey at least we can get on the snow even if only for a couple hours.

keystone has a 42 inch base right now, so that sucks haha. thats the only thing keeping me going - knowing PA is destroying the #2 park in snowfall totals. but its still the #2 park...

ive been skiing by myself alot too which blows but is also cool. i got new headphones so i cant hear SHIT and just bump. feeling G as shit ~rollin~ through the park. thats fun still no matter where you are.

You say this now but wait until the season ends and we can't ski/ride at all until next winter, we will all be stoked for anything we can get come fall time. I know what you mean though after a great powder day or a trip to a bigger mountain going back to the standard pa conditions is a bit of a bummer but hey at least we can get on the snow even if only for a couple hours.

I think Dime nailed it. PC you're suffering from post ski trip blues...It's normal. It's like meeting the girl of your dreams for a week then all of a sudden, she disappears. You have no interest in anyone else for a while, but with time...you will.

Give boarding a try. When I did ten years ago, it made going to JF and CB fun again. After 9 years of not skiing and having to put them back on so I could teach my daughter, skiing became fun again. Now I ski one day with the kids and board the next day and I look forward to doing both.

Taking up boarding will help for a while, unless you have a hard time with the first days in which case you will just be more depressed. I know exactly how you feel though, last year when I came back from Utah in early march I was checking the snowfall at snowbird almost everyday and trying to justify going back out there. I finally caved and went back, but that just made things worse because it just got better.

So now I moved to CA and can ski those mountains / conditions every trip, but every trip has become usually every other weekend. That said, we usually ski open to close (which we never did at CB)and there is just so much more interesting stuff to do, the trails are just a means to get to the more interesting stuff.

I know this doesn't help, but just wanted you to know that (as with others here), the feeling is widely felt after such trips. The only answer is relocation, which I highly recommend by the way, I'm sitting on my deck in sunshine typing this and they just picked up 2 feet in the mountains, blue skies forcast for the weekend.

Hope you all get to enjoy the snow after the storm, and remember that a small mountain is better than none at all.

I feel ya Philly. I was on pace for a ton of days this year, hit the end of january and just hit a brick wall. Got tired of the drive, tired of riding the same shit every day, and tired of seeing my bank account in massive decline. Even these storms don't get my pumped to ride because they all groom the shit out anyway. Spring riding should be fun though, bring on the 40 and 50 degree days.

I feel ya Philly. I was on pace for a ton of days this year, hit the end of january and just hit a brick wall. Got tired of the drive, tired of riding the same shit every day, and tired of seeing my bank account in massive decline. Even these storms don't get my pumped to ride because they all groom the shit out anyway. Spring riding should be fun though, bring on the 40 and 50 degree days.

should have gotten the pass to blue instead...

A pass to blue would not have changed anything honestly.. I like JFBB because I like the freedom to go anywhere, not just bomb it down as many times as I can before the crowds arrive.

Skiing anything less than 3 (really more like 3.5) hours for me is a total waste of time..

It takes me that amount of time to drive back and forth, and to me spending more time in the car than on the mountain just doesn't make sense unless you are just hard up for some slope time. (i.e. killington nov. 2008)

Blue might be closer, but the difference in drive time is seriously unnoticeable

Staying all day isn't really an option either as I'm already pretty much sticking my wife with all the household chores that need to get done and 90% of the time both of the 2 little kids.

I can't afford to bring all the kids all the time, and getting my wife to the slopes is like a getting root canal.

I guess I'm just going through the mid season blues.... I still might give snowboarding a shot though just for something different to mess around with..... I like trying new things anyway.

Props to all you PASRs that drive from philly. I could never drive to JF to ski every day, especially considering it's Jack Frost. Blue might be a little easier to do, but I get spoiled with my 18 mile drive. I've skied much less this year then in previous years (only at 47 right now), but the quality of may days has been vastly improved. There have only been 2 distinct horrible days, all the rest have been legit.

A pass to blue would not have changed anything honestly.. I like JFBB because I like the freedom to go anywhere, not just bomb it down as many times as I can before the crowds arrive.

Skiing anything less than 3 (really more like 3.5) hours for me is a total waste of time..

It takes me that amount of time to drive back and forth, and to me spending more time in the car than on the mountain just doesn't make sense unless you are just hard up for some slope time. (i.e. killington nov. 2008)

Blue might be closer, but the difference in drive time is seriously unnoticeable

Staying all day isn't really an option either as I'm already pretty much sticking my wife with all the household chores that need to get done and 90% of the time both of the 2 little kids.

I can't afford to bring all the kids all the time, and getting my wife to the slopes is like a getting root canal.

I guess I'm just going through the mid season blues.... I still might give snowboarding a shot though just for something different to mess around with..... I like trying new things anyway.

i'm not saying blue would provide more ski time because its a little closer. i was saying that cause it seems like there's more of a scene there/people to ride with, which in my opinion makes things a lot more fun. i can go hike a rail by myself for a while, but if i'm taking runs, its way more fun to ride with a group, and there's always someone from this site at blue to ride with.

i'm not saying blue would provide more ski time because its a little closer. i was saying that cause it seems like there's more of a scene there/people to ride with, which in my opinion makes things a lot more fun. i can go hike a rail by myself for a while, but if i'm taking runs, its way more fun to ride with a group, and there's always someone from this site at blue to ride with.

Sooo true. Sno wasn't the best park I rode this year, but I had the most fun all season because of the group I was riding with.

• Like 1

If hes going to learn to snowboard it really depends on how he looks at it. i rode yesterday and snowboarded for 2 runs and fell a couple times and decided i was done, because i really didnt want to board in the first place. But if your feeling it its much easier, for example when i was stoked to snowboard i picked it up right away and even 50-50 a box. it all depends how you look at it.

Aren't the first couple days on a snowboard pretty painful??? Get me a beef and cheddar and curly frys :-)

F@cking nightmare. Soooo frustrating. icon_smile_banghead.gif Now when I teach people, I make sure they have wristguards and a helmet. I even bought used ice hockey equipment and kept it at our ski house for teaching people.

When my ex girlfriend wanted to learn last year, I got her wristguards and a lesson. She broke her arm because she refused to wear the wristguards. I should have broken up with her the next day.icon_smile_banghead.gif

Edited by TT C6

I did basically the same thing, got really bored snowboarding and started skiing. When I was packing for CO I was considering not bringing my skis, but I ended up skiing about 50% of the time. It is so fun to have a challenge and progression again. I only ride my board for park or powder now, the rest of the time I'm skiing. If not for the skis I would not have bought my tickets to Blue this year, and if not for having already put the money in I probably wouldn't even bother going in PA this year. Totally worth it.

Sometimes it helps to get out of your routine as well. I did 4 days of exploring Delaware after the last set of big storms. A lot of work for 200 vert runs here and there but honestly it was really fun to have a bunch of untracked powder for 4 days in a row within 20 minutes of my dorm.