Aspen Stoke

AtomicSkier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like some snow may be in your future. 6 ski days?

yeah, i saw the potential for some snow next week....but we're only doing 4 ski days. doesn't look like any deep pow days for us, but hopefully we'll get some refreshed surfaces out of it.

update in progress ;) (i finally got my computer hooked up to the internet here)

anyhow....so this is aspen, glam, glitz, and all that. so far we're enjoying it out here. here's a summary thus far.

day 1 - arrivial. our flight from PHL was smooth and fast; we arrived an hour early. the other couple in our group also arrived early, but the final guy in our party was 1 1/2 hr delayed. that turned out to be a good thing b/c I-70 was backed up due to an accident. that stuff was all gone by the time we got the rental car, ate lunch, and picked up our friend. drive was smooth sailing. got in to aspen around 7-ish and did some quick food shopping. called it an early nite since we were all tired from the travel.

day 2 - apsen mtn. that is one steep mtn! fresh groomers and soft bumps were on the menue for the day. played in some trees, tried out the bumps, it was all good. snow was in overall good condition, but there were def some wind-blown and scraped off areas. i took one run down walsh's...that had soft bumps up top, but the headwall was pretty darn steep. can't say that i skied i well, but i at least survived it. we did some fun trees off of gentlemen's ride and then headed back to the base to call it a day.

day 3 - snowmass. powder! so i have to be honest, powder really threw me for a loop. we made our way up the big burn lift and it only took one run for us to realize that we def needed a lesson to ski the powder and crud. so, tinymoose, her friend, and i made our way back down to the base area to buy a lesson. we hooked up with the group and, wow, it totally helped! it was a half-day lesson and by the end of it the three of us had made vast improvements. we skiied a lot of terrain, but we hung out a lot under the high alpine and alpine springs lifts. i thought we were tired from yesterday's stuff at aspen, but today was another whole level of tireness.

pictures to follow...

• Like 1

day 4 - snowmass remix. blue bird day, goggle tans, and lots of soft snow. we had such an amazing time today, it's not even funny. we started the day by taking the elk camp gondola and then the elk camp quad up to the top of elk camp. did a warm-up lap down sandy park and then headed back up to do long shot. it's a bit of a hike to get up to long shot, which starts at the top of burnt mountain. it took us forever to make it down the 3.5 miles and 3400 ft vert on that trail, but it was sooo worth it. there was still some leftover powder from yesterday's storm in there. the rest was turned into nice soft powdery bumps. we were all spent by the time we made it down to the two creeks area. we took a little breather and grabbed a quick bite to eat at the two creeks cafe.

it was back up the lift and we headed over to the alpine springs and high alpine lifts. we took green cabin down to the sheer bliss lift. our end goal was to get to the cirque. we decided to drop down the headwall and followed the gully out and back to the sheer bliss lift. holy cow, that was the run of the day for sure. the upper portion of the cirque is very nice and open and it wasn't very steep where we dropped in. it got real once we headed into the gully. everyone made it out just fine and we all felt like champs for skiing that stuff.

we ended our day by heading back up the sheer bliss lift to get to the sneaky's and power line glades. by this time everyone was toasted, so we ducked out of the glades early and headed back to the upper mall to drop off our demo skis.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...