12/15/10....JADIP

AtomicSkier

Glorious day at the True Mountain. Woke up to a snowy Bethlehem and got underway around 7:55am. Things were very slow going until just north of the airport/Root 22, and then the roads were dry and could cruise at 70mph no problem. Arrived at Blue a little after 8:30am in the lower lot and only 10 cars or so where there. It was nice being able to walk right onto the snow from where I park, rather then looping around the fence. Snow conditions were PERFECT. Snow was smooth and grippy. I was able to really test out the new boots and ski combo, and they certainty performed. I went 100% a few runs down Main Street, and the skis/boots exceeded expectations. At these temps, the boots are pretty much rock solid, but I love them.

Toast was right behind me on the drive up, so I skied with him the entire time. I was about to head out at 10:30am, but I saw Johnny Style's car parked next to mine so I decided to wait for him to get a few laps in. The three of us did a few laps down Main Street and Lazy Mile enjoying the awesome snow conditions. I pulled out of the lot at 11:43am after a picture perfect morning at Blue the True.

The new ticket scanners were working well, but we'll see how they do under a 11,000 person day load. That will be the true test. Can't wait to get out there early tomorrow. JADIP.

They were blowing on Challenge, Razors, Dreamweaver, and Paradise. Challenge and Paradise have plenty of snow to open tomorrow.

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

img3.jpg

no snowmaking on sidewinder yet huh?

JStyle actually made a remark about they don't even try early season on Sidewinder. I agree that it's lame. It requires so much snow, but even if they don't turn them on full throttle, let them blow a little snow without using much air/water. Or just turn a few key guns on where a lot of snow is required. They're blowing on the rest of the mountain pretty much except Sidewinder and Switchback.

JStyle actually made a remark about they don't even try early season on Sidewinder. I agree that it's lame. It requires so much snow, but even if they don't turn them on full throttle, let them blow a little snow without using much air/water. Or just turn a few key guns on where a lot of snow is required. They're blowing on the rest of the mountain pretty much except Sidewinder and Switchback.

boooooo

rolling up in a few minutes. hope to see some of you excessively attractive ladies and gentlemen there.

i could be wrong, but i could have sworn when they put all the new guns on sidewinder a few years ago, they specifically set them up so they wouldn't draw any compressor power from the rest of the mountain so they could blow sidewinder ASAP without affecting getting regular trails open. anybody who knows more about that wanna chime in? the fact that it's the warmest part of the day and it's in the mid 20s and they're not blowing on everything they absolutely can, if that's the case, is somewhat annoying

i could be wrong, but i could have sworn when they put all the new guns on sidewinder a few years ago, they specifically set them up so they wouldn't draw any compressor power from the rest of the mountain so they could blow sidewinder ASAP without affecting getting regular trails open. anybody who knows more about that wanna chime in? the fact that it's the warmest part of the day and it's in the mid 20s and they're not blowing on everything they absolutely can, if that's the case, is somewhat annoying

Well of course they're going to draw compressor power...they need compressed air! Most of the new guns I'm sure can be run "air-less" but that requires like 12 degree temperatures. The only guns that never need any compressed air are the fan guns.

Well of course they're going to draw compressor power...they need compressed air! Most of the new guns I'm sure can be run "air-less" but that requires like 12 degree temperatures. The only guns that never need any compressed air are the fan guns.

sorry, i meant that they had their own separate compressor setup that the other guns didn't draw from. i realize all snow guns need a compressor unless they're fan guns haha

The drive up to Blue was typical East Coast B.S. I left a little past seven and hit the slopes around ten. Three hours from Philadelphia to Blue is horrible, and I almost turned around. One of these days I am going to arrive at Blue in a good mood, rather than angry from being stuck in traffic. The skiing was real nice and I love being able to make the big turns on these empty slopes without fear of being hit by a local. It's cold out there today so I only skied for two hours. You folks heading up later should have a real good time.

Toast may be one of the toughest guys I know. He had his wisdom teeth out two days ago and he skied in the equivalent of a wool blazer today, while I hid shivering behind a balaclava.

^thats the route i took, 22 was a clusterf*ck because of the weather i think. the schulkyll was a disaster. I dont understand, it would be fine if people would learn how to merge. There wasn't even that much traffic merging onto the road, yet at every interchange theres about a mile backup so 5 cars can merge in. WTF.

But, as said before, the snow was incredible today. It did take about ten minutes to get my RFID pass for some reason, but i forgot about the traffic after riding about 20 feet. Main street was $$$. The lips in the park were nice, but the landings were awkward. :deadhorse: I still think come around makes for an awkward park :deadhorse:

309N suck bawlz tho... go 22E to cedar crestN, right on willow, right on chestnutt, left on Mcarthur. Thats basically how I go from work (22& 309) except i take a few shortcuts. next time i'll pay attention to the road names

edit: just zoomed in - ridgeview/wiers mill/ironbridge/lapp/lime kiln to willow

i may have to go in to work a little late tommorow... :wiggle

Edited by mbike-ski

309N suck bawlz tho... go 22E to cedar crestN, right on willow, right on chestnutt, left on Mcarthur. Thats basically how I go from work (22& 309) except i take a few shortcuts. next time i'll pay attention to the road names

i may have to go in to work a little late tommorow... :wiggle

Me, NSJay, and Toast are doing an early morning sesh tomorrow... :wiggle

I couldn't do what you do..even for the big bucks and free pass Blue give you..Nidecker did Blue give you a gun this year

Hm, no. First off i'd have to be a licensed carrier, blue would never ever give out guns lol. They hired outside help for armed security guards. I do patrol with my handy dandy radio I get to beat people with if I get an unruly customer ha.

Man snow was nice up until I left tonight! Once 4 came I was running for the time clock got my board and strapped in at 4:07. I like the RFID scanner, ride up to it a half second later gate swings open and it's a peice of cake. It might get a little hectic once the crowds show up for holidays but I won't be there to see it anyways so it's all good in the hood. Snow felt great today, I left at 540 and the kids started to roll in so I figured it was time to go.

Just sayin but paradise challenge dreamweaver widomaker aka raceway finish line and terrain run all have a possibility of being open for tomorrows session. They were grooming paradise finish line and dreamweaver when I left.

Don't forget the 20th is RFID scanning at all the double chairs. Good. Oh and that's the machines... Not the hand scan.

Edited by Nidecker

they already scan the doubles, but with handhelds. we had no issues with the scanners today either. went much smoother than i expected. good work Blue.

as for more trail openings, i would hope that they have more open for tomorrow. adequate snow on paradise, challenge, lower park for sure. we will see. maybe i'll take my park skis up too, since i haven't hit a rail all season. ahhh.

Hm, no. First off i'd have to be a licensed carrier, blue would never ever give out guns lol. They hired outside help for armed security guards.

it would probably be a liability to them even if you were licensed. i know my dad works for an insurance company, and is registered with a LEO gun license and his company will not let him carry a gun, ghetto of baltimore or not. its actually grounds for dismissal from his company if found carrying one to a job site. apparently its a liability. idk.

Well I have my LTCF, but that doesn't allow me to "carry for employement". Any armed security guards have their ACT 235 training. People who are ACT 235 are bank/atm delivery guys, armed security, etc. ...

http://www.lethalweapons.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/lethal_weapons_training_program/7611/frequently_asked_questions/517485