I passed the ITC, but......

phillycore

For those that didn't already figure it out already, I decided to take the instructor training course at jfbb. It was a pretty long and informative 4 days of drills, and skill training. Unfortunately, for me they only had a few spots available for jobs over at Jack Frost and I got offered a spot over at big boulder. In the end I'm left with a tough decision.

I pretty much have no desire whatsoever to ski at boulder as Jack Frost has been my home forever now with the Pasr Jf crew.

Even though I pretty much turned it down, they left the boulder option open for me which real was nice of them.

They have a good group of people over at peak, but I don't think boulder is a fit for me. I'd be miserable with my friends and family over at JF. It would be a real challenge for me and I'm the type of person who always wants to give 110%, and I'm not sure I could do that somewhere I don't want to be.

I don't want the one thing I really live to do, to get tarnished and end up feeling like its just a job. I've done that before and it was such a mistake, I've never recovered from it. (Drag racing)

Anyway, it was great and unless my trainer can work some magic to bring me home to frost. I guess it was good while it lasted.

• Like 2

Good advice to put your name on the list at JF...If nothing happens this year you should be good to go for next year...

You nailed it with the statement about it just becoming a job.I know,I taught snowboarding for almost 13 years and that's what it became.I would show up and just thought I really don't want to be here.I feel so much better about riding now that I can just come and go as I please.Teaching was cool and you get to me alot of great people,but at the end it was just another job.

Congrats on passing the ITC..There is alot of pressure at times.

I've never skied JF or BB, so outside of the social connection, what makes BB less desirable to work at?

well its got no vert, slow and uncomfortable lifts, basically no runs that aren't a park, and is littered with 14 year old trendwhores and jock brodawgs that enjoy snowboarding and natty ice. for someone that doesn't ski park, it's hell. even for those of us that ski nothing but park, it's pretty much turned to hell for us too. big broulder.

well its got no vert, slow and uncomfortable lifts, basically no runs that aren't a park, and is littered with 14 year old trendwhores and jock brodawgs that enjoy snowboarding and natty ice. for someone that doesn't ski park, it's hell. even for those of us that ski nothing but park, it's pretty much turned to hell for us too. big broulder.

ehhh i agree with you on that one. its not just snowboarders though... the snowboarder to skier ratio there has to be like 40 snowboarders to every skiier though.

Why do you want to teach? Is it for a pass? If so you are already making it a job. If you just want to share the joys of skiing with others, mostly kids, and it's a nice way to offset costs, then I think spending 1 season at boulder makes sense. You will be able to come back next year as a return instructor and will have priority to make it over to JF. Even this year, they are bound to lose instructors and you could have the chance to move. If you don't need it for one reason or another though, why put yourself in a shitty spot when you can just try again next year at low or no cost. You can walk away from this knowing some basics on how to teach, maybe you got some fundamentals tuned up in your own skiing and you are that much better off.

Big boulder is park focused, which is great for those that enjoy jumps, rails, and boxes. I do none of that, and neither do my kids. Basically there is one trail there worth skiing for me in boulder park. Snowdrift would be the only other worth a mention, however I spend 90% of my time in the trees and east mtn. Driving 2 hours each way every weekend would get really old quick without anything to get excited about. I'm really bummed about it, and just hoping frost works out somehow I guess.

FWIW there is no list to my knowledge.

Yeah I did ITC last year and we have the problem that all the skiers want to come to frost and all the snowboarders want to go to big boulder. I prefer frost over boulder cause you never have to worry about working nights, your shift will always be 8-4.

Oh, so exactly how I feel about Mountain Creek.

Glenn,

It's not just for a pass. I wanted to be a part of the place that means a lot to me and sharing my love of this sport with others just coming in.

If it was all about getting a pass it wouldn't matter to me where I was teaching at. Starting out at boulder and transferring later to frost is a possibility, and an option. That option would completely suck the fun out of it for me though and that kinda goes against the whole reason behind it all to begin with. Make sense?

• Like 2

well justin, i agree with you there. it's a fashion show at Boulder. that place has just always given me a weird vibe. i dunno. there's no place like home, that's for sure. and with Andy at Blue this year, i'm pumped to be there more than ever.

This shouldn't be a bash boulder thread, so please don't go there with it. The mountain has its place, its always open first. It does really well for being a park focused mtn. A lot of people love it there and all that it has to offer. I just don't fit into that scene. Square peg round hole kinda thing. I ski there once or twice a year for something different, early / late season (when jf is closed of course ) I'm Glad it separates the park focused riders (bb) from those that aren't (jf).

I definitely give respect for the people that went out of their way and turned boulder into what it is. for it's peak time they were one of the firsts to sort of go all in with the park thing....and I used to enjoy skiing there, and still do, sometimes to an extent. from 7-13 we had a mountain house in blakeslee, so I pretty much grew up at jfbb. didn't mean to bring any hate really, it's just lately the vibe that place has been putting off is really uncomfortable, and that's coming from me, a pretty trendy park rat that more or less "fits in" with that demographic. simply put, there are a lot of douchebags that are there now, and they're not too friendly, which is totally wack for a small hill in PA.

/threadjack

• Like 1

LOL... As much as I've talked the place up over the years you'd think they'd want to keep me there for ambassador reasons alone.

seriously....

i hope they realize they are losing you as an instructor and a patron.

i think it would be a bold statement to say you are the reason they brought the elevator back, but i do think your "bring the elevator back" thread had a hand in it. thats the stuff that makes Frost a great place to ski. But you not getting a job there is a huge stoke stomper.

That's awesome man. See ya at work in a couple weeks then!

Sounds good... can't wait to get back home to Frost.

The Instructor group at Boulder are really cool, but it's like being on vacation.

Vacation is cool, but you really look forward to getting back home near the end of them.