Winter Park / Steamboat

phillycore

Looks like we're going to be off for a great start...

Winter Park - February 6th-7th

Steamboat - February 8th-9th

Issued by The National Weather Service

Denver/Boulder, CO

7:04 pm MST, Sat., Feb. 5, 2011

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM MST SUNDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM MST SUNDAY.

* TIMING... SNOW WILL GENERALLY BE LIGHT OVERNIGHT... THOUGH THERE WILL STILL BE SOME HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS.

* ACCUMULATION/WIND... STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 16 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED. NORTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH WILL PRODUCE AREAS OF DRIFTING SNOW OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* MAIN IMPACT... ROADS ARE SNOWPACKED AND ICY. THERE WILL BE AREAS OF LIMITED VISIBILITY OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TRAVELERS SHOULD EXPECT WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS AND PLAN FOR DELAYS. CHECK THE LATEST ROAD CLOSURES AND RESTRICTIONS BEFORE LEAVING AND ALLOW EXTRA TIME. CARRY WARM CLOTHING AND EXTRA FOOD AND WATER IN CASE YOU ENCOUNTER DIFFICULTIES.

&&

More Information

... SNOW DIMINISHING OVERNIGHT...

.MOIST AND UNSTABLE NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT WILL CONTINUE ACROSS NORTHERN COLORADO TONIGHT. THE MAIN AREA OF SNOW SHOWERS HAD MOVED THROUGH THE DENVER AREA... THOUGH OCCASIONAL LIGHT SHOWERS ARE STILL EXPECTED OVERNIGHT. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO THREE INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE FOOTHILLS... WITH LIGHTER ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE ON THE PLAINS MAINLY SOUTH OF DENVER.

MEANWHILE... LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE NIGHT IN THE HIGHER MOUNTAINS WITH A FEW HEAVY SHOWERS STILL POSSIBLE. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL OF 2 TO 5 INCHES IS EXPECTED OVERNIGHT... BRINGING TOTALS FOR THE STORM UP TO 8 TO 18 INCHES.

TRAVEL WILL REMAIN DIFFICULT IN THE HIGHER MOUNTAINS TONIGHT. AS OF EARLY THIS EVENING LOVELAND PASS WAS CLOSED... AND CHAINS WERE REQUIRED FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLES ON SEVERAL MOUNTAIN PASSES.

Snow, snow and more snow...

not sure if you're planning on being on the slopes tomorrow, but i'll keep my eye out for you at winter park. i'll be there for first chair and leaving some time around noon so i can get back and cleaned up for a super bowl party. i'll more then likely be on the jane side. baggy brown coat, light brown plaid pants, white bern helmet, and pasr stickers on the highbacks of my bindings. don't be afraid to yell, i usually answer to ass hole.

Trees, creek beds, early am freshies....cold as hell

Yeah we are having fun.....didn't take many pix...too cold.

Trees, creek beds, early am freshies....cold as hell

Yeah we are having fun.....didn't take many pix...too cold.

Sweet echo, you must be in the valley :lol:

good ski day, not a great picture day. i have a few but it seems as though my computer and camera dont like one another.

we checked out of the Best Western in town - nice place, breakfast stuff which is always a plus. got to winter park about 8:30, and got in line at the zephyr express and waited just a few short minutes for them to start loading. there was a nice coating of about 4 inches of fresh stuff on top of what they got yesterday. decided to run trails until things got tracked out, since there was ample goods to be had in the trees. started ducking into the trees about 9:30. theres tons of tree skiing here and we probably didnt even get to he best stuff. trees are deep in powder and Both John and I got hung up in one section when we landed in a creek.

2 lifts were closed, panoramic and eagle, which on the trail map it looks as both have some nice terrain, but there was still plenty off every other lift. skied lots of trails and lots of trees. dont remember names, my brain just doesnt work that way.

rolled out about 3 pm for the drive to steamboat. things got real snowy around rabbit ears pass. pulled into the Bristol Hotel at 6 PM. really cool place. overnight forecast is for about 9 inches by morning.

Oh man, Steamboat skis great with 9 inches. Storm Peak is where I usually burn out my legs but the whole mountain is fun. Morning side is kind of hit or miss. If you don't want to hike for short but steep shots then it's not worth the time to go over there. The egress is long and somewhat flat.

INCLUDING THE CITY OF...STEAMBOAT SPRINGS AND VICINITY

701 PM MST MON FEB 7 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MST

TUESDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MST TUESDAY.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE THIS EVENING...POSSIBLY BECOMING

HEAVY AT TIMES...AND CONTINUE PERIODICALLY THROUGH TUESDAY

MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...6 TO 14 INCHES OF NEW SNOW BY NOON TUESDAY.