Winter Park / Steamboat

phillycore

Strawberry Park Hot springs. I like to eat at the 50's style burger joint in town but I can't remember the exact name. Storm Peak, Sundown and Pony lifts are my go to zones. Sundown gets skied out first. Sundown -> Sunshine loops produce some really great steep trees that stay good longer on the way back to Sundown. Also their is some former Olympian bump skier who gives free lessons once a day. Depending on our skill level this could be really worth while or stupid. They go slow, but ski some easier diamonds.

Have fun that hill is good.

Steamboat is a really fun place...as is winter park, however i am a little more biased towards steamboat because we got 14" on the first day. Trees galore just all over the place.

John is correct in saying the trail map can be tricky at times....looks like you should be able to ski from say morningside to the top of the gondola, (where we ate lunch) but you actually have to ski down to like elkhead to take that lift.

Hotel Bristol is a high recommend. we had a "family room", which was 2 seperate bedrooms, each with its own shitter, joined by a shower in the middle. dont know what the single rooms are like. hot tub, and 2 common areas that are good for reading/drinking/posting TR's. there is also a locker room with lockers for your skis should you feel the need to bring them inside.

Steamboat smokehouse like John said is a definete recommend. kind of your old time saloon, peanut shells go on the floor, and the food was outstanding. price for a meal is more than reasonable.

If you stay in town somewhere be aware it kinda takes some time to actually get on the mountain. The parking we found had us taking a shuttle to the base of the mountain....which is no big deal at all, but plan accordingly. if you get snow, you will be joined by half the town or more, and they definely have getting first tracks figured out.

the gondola opens at 8:30, but some of the other lifts dont open until 9 am, which is kinda strange....we past a lift that was loading people, in favor of one of the high speeds and we ended up waiting for a few agonizing minutes in -15 degree weather waiting for the lift to start loading.

i saw 2 emails come through from steamboat, which i didnt read, but i believe one of them was a deal on lift tickets, so i think there should be something out there in the form of discounted tickets.

Hope you get some nice fresh....this was my first time out west and found that Steamboat was some place that was hard to leave. Great skiing and a really cool town. Dont forget a camera. take pics.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump. Phillycore the Denver to Steamboat car ride stoke mix is complete. I think you'll enjoy. I also feel much better now that the Broncos are booted from the playoffs. I may have bailed on you guys had the Donks won the super bowl and we arrived on the day of their parade. My stomach couldn't handle that nonsense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bump...

Because in three days time, three men will embark on a journey westward away from snow less hills and flat lands; away from variable ski conditions to which they've become so accustomed and ski lodges that are reminiscent of the 1980's. These three brave souls (Phillycore and JFSkiDan of Jackson Frost and RidgeRacer of the Bluest of Mountains) will journey west of the Mississippi to the storied lands of Steamboat Springs and Winter Park Colorado. Along the way they will encounter many trials and tribulations such as one man's insistence on taking his sweet ass time in the morning, another's who's driving skills will scare the shit out of the heartiest of souls all while shouting the now famous mantra of "this is how we do in PA!", and another who's ski quiver is larger than the mountains themselves. These men will come together on a mission to seek out and explore the legendary Rocky Mountain powder. They will also encounter the PASR legend... Barb, one of the few who have successfully completed what many mere mortals can only dream about... The exodus from the East to the western lands and lofty peaks of the Rocky Mountains. Will these three accomplish their mission? Keep it here to find out.

• Like 7