Winter Park / Steamboat

phillycore

We basically got shit for pics, out of the literally 8 or 9 pictures we took and two of them being basically the same picture..this is what we have to show for today.

It was between 8-17 degrees out and snowing it's ass off all day.... same conditions tomorrow only more snow, and a high of 8 degrees with wind chills in negative 20's for wed.

Maybe we can get the gopro hd working, but honestly I don't feel like stopping to mess with it...lol

We'll try harder with the camera tomorrow I guess... We skied from open till 3:15 and only stopped for 45min for lunch at the snowasis.

post-1572-0-01354000-1297138132_thumb.jpgpost-1572-0-21939400-1297138441_thumb.jpgpost-1572-0-12511200-1297137985_thumb.jpg

Tons of POW... I had a ski POP and had to do search and rescue mission...hopefully gopro was working cause it'll be funny as shit watching me go superman. Storm peal is money, I'm dealing with calf cramps pretty bad but epic day for sure. Half of steamboat called in sick today...sun finally coming through.

• Like 1

Nice snow. Totally different kind of trees there. Looks like a lot are pretty close, but at least you can see around them, more like gates on a race course than the trees we have here. The last one is more like what we have here.

Can you shrink the size of the pics a bit, tho? I have a 24 inch screen and still have to use the scroll bar to get a look at the whole picture? Maybe half size would be better?

Edited by sibhusky

Powder day for sure. Listening to the radio this morning for ski reports...."and steamboat was the big winner with 14 inches overnight." Damn we got lucky. i struggled some in the afternoon on the trails on my snoops, they just dont blast through the piles like the PE's. i rode the lift with a local who said this was in the top 1 or 2 days for steamboat this year, and said half the town is here today. tomorrow will still be a great day in the trees, as we still found really nice tree runs late in the day.

post-1753-0-87268100-1297217686_thumb.jpg

post-1753-0-92947700-1297217722_thumb.jpg

steamboat day 2 has come to a close. we made it until about 2 pm, before our legs were junk. this morning it was like 15 below. sun was up, so it quickly warmed up to about 5 degrees. nice bluebird day. cold, but managable. few fast groomers in the morning with some trees mixed in. pictures were pretty weak today as John and I got split up for a while. cell phone service was a little spotty on the mountain. found some decent powder on morningside, i belive. kinda wishing i checked it out yesterday, but it has some fairly steep stuff with a long runout that doesnt have alot of pitch to it....i think Nick or Glenn may have made mention of that at some point. both winter park and steamboat have tree runs galore, and had a great time with both, but steamboat really stands out, mostly because the luck we had with getting 14" for our first day.

i felt the PE's might not be the most fabulous ski in left over powder runs and trees, so i got hooked up with a pair of K2 obsethed. Very cool ski. pics at a later date.

• 2 weeks later...

Non skiing must do IMO...... strawberry farm hot springs.

The drive is horrible, but there are shuttle trips there too.

The place is killer, don't miss it... they have a website, Google strawberry farm hot springs steamboat

Skiing wise....its all good, seriously.

Hard mountain to navigate from one area to another so make sure to grab a map or two when you take the gondola up.

Below the gondola

isnt worth your time, head up the gondola and then take storm peak express to the top.... You can hit pretty much anything you'd want from there.

There are spots there that you'll need to take 2 lifts to get back to the gondola from ( south peak for example), so don't get stuck back there with jello legs...lol It's a fun area if you like trees.

The last few deep pics were taken off the traverse across the top heading skiers left then dropping in off the backside (left side of traverse) If you follow the traverse past the two black diamond marked runs a little bit just before the traverse hooks skiers right and drop in towards the boundary line you'll be more than pleased. Head skiers left though as Dan found his way to morningside lift (a little more tracked out towards the lift, but you'll avoid a long uphill traverse along the boundary line that way) I went right and ended on the traverse over towards south peak (sunrise or sunshine lift ...either way completely different side of mountain...) You won't remember this shit anyway, but do remember. Gondola to Storm Peak express....head skiers right and drop in. (storm peak express opens at 9) That will put a big smile on your face to start the day.

Seriously consider strawberry farms hot springs too, its a really cool place and Mrs Snowbunski would love it too.

Oh yeah....Really good eats at the smokehouse directly across the street from hotel bristol, don't worry you'll smell it.

If strawberry hot springs is a little too intimate at least hit the steamboat springs downtown, can't miss it it's the first building on the right as you enter down town. The big l one with the water slides.

As far as the mtn, I hit it early season and rode whatever was open. However, the place is amazing all over. Just go wherever looks good. Odds are you're right.