Advice for 4 year old skier

Mess

I got my son to both Jack Frost and BIg Boulder for the snow monster program last year and he loved it. I am thinking about leasing skis for the season from Sports authority. I figure i will get him two more lessons through snow monsters early season and then he skis for free every time I purchase a lift ticket at most mountains in the pocs. If we get a snow storm at home I can bring him to a hill and let him practice if we have the skis. Sound like a good plan or am i better off just renting at the mountain and getting him 3 lessons this year. He will still be able to ski free next year since he wont turn 6 until after next ski season.

Just looking at prices. I usually go to ski bum in concord. But their lease program was more expensive. SA was 90 books for the season. Snow monster costs $85 with rental . $75 without. If I get him 3 snow monster days it might be a good season for a little guy. But if I lease and he can handle it he could get 6-8 times at the mountain.

Definitely do seasonal. FAR less hassle. Also, at his age, if you get a season pass, you can sometimes get a free seasonal pass for him as well. That definitely removes some hassle. I started my daughter at 3 and the whole process needs to be as EASY as possible.

I started my girls at 3 and bought them skis. Kids ski packages at shops are less than $300 including boots. I have been able to get 2 seasons out of them and then hand them down or sell them on Ebay and get back more than half of your money. I also saw the greatest progress when they ski several days in a row.

Definitely do seasonal. FAR less hassle. Also, at his age, if you get a season pass, you can sometimes get a free seasonal pass for him as well. That definitely removes some hassle. I started my daughter at 3 and the whole process needs to be as EASY as possible.

I've never used a seasonal rental, but I have heard good things. It will definitely pay off for you if you take the little guy out more than you expected too. I've got to agree with Shadows and say you should support your local ski shop. The skis will most likely be better maintained also...

Definitely do a seasonal rental. JFBB used to have a seasonal snowmonsters program which was great. I agree with the others, your local ski shop probably has a seasonal rental program that is reasonably priced.

4 year olds can join the development program associated with the race team. Last year there were only a few 4 year olds so when they had the fun races every Sunday each kid got a medal. Its a great program and your kid would really progress. The coaches are all great. Good luck this year.

i did seasonal rentals for my 3 kids as well and would go that route again. i think 4-5 yo is perfect too as they can communicate and have enough strength and balance to make it more fun for both of you. i found harnesses and hula hoops to be a big help and back savers early on. i think kids still ski free at most mountains until 5 or 6. have fun!

One of the benefits of seasonal rentals over buying and trading is that you can get the right size boot for the kid at the beginning instead of sticking them in boots that are too big to allow for growth. And the rental program I used allowed me to get a different pair of boots mid-season because the first pair hurt - when they are young it's hard to determine the fit well until they start using them. Same with ski lengths. Start small and get longer as they get better or grow.

i have three kids which all started at about 4yrs old, the youngest is now 7. we have always purchased used equipment through "The Loft". i can get skis, boots, and helmet for about the same price as a seasonal rental. at end of season we would just hand down anything that no longer fit. i guess you could also sell equip. on ebay and probably cut your costs in half after it no longer fits. this has worked out really well for us.

I know The Loft has alot of kids equip available if you go there around thanksgiving time. The Loft is on the access road to Camelback.

When I used to live back east, we rented from that place just before you get to The Loft, don't remember what it was called. Normally it was brand new equipment for the seasonal rentals which then went into their normal rental pool the following season after we returned it. Don't remember the name of the place, otherwise I'd try and see if they are still open.

Seasonal rentals or an inexpensive purchase of used equipment is the way to go. The hassle of getting rentals every time alone is a game changer. Since you're asking for advice for a 4 year old skier, let me give you my two cents, based on spending the last decade teaching 4 year olds how to ski. Two lessons are great. But more lessons are better. Much better. At 4 years old, kids who are learning to ski are developing the foundational skills of effective skiing at a point where they will become much more deeply ingrained than if they learn when they are older. The great part about this is that if they learn it the right way now, they'll rock it out for the rest of their lives. A 4 year old who gets a really strong foundation will be ripping moguls, trees and the park by the time they're 6. The downside, if they learn ineffective skills now, they'll spend the next twenty years trying to unlearn them. And most likely will give up way before that.

Your child will definitely benefit from having a familiar set of boards under their feet, but they'll benefit way, way more from having consistent instruction from a pro. Not that you don't have valuable insight into your child's skiing, but professional instructors are trained to see all the factors that go into that skiing, how to remedy the ineffective bits, and encourage the effective parts. Definitely take the money you save in that seasonal rental and invest in more lessons. It's worth it.

• Like 1