2011/2012 Sno Mountain Good stuff!

KCSKI

Just a reminder as the Black Friday pre season pass sale is on it's last day here, so if you were interested in the deal but haven't decided yet, now would be a good time to take another look at it. The flyer is posted here in this topic on page 1.

Also, I had mentioned that I would have an email account set up for those that want to shoot me ideas, pics, drawings...suggestion..and yes..you can chew my ass out as long as it's constructive with ideas to make it better. Threats, inane stupid comments and just those emails that hate get tossed in the trash, just so you know.

Kevin@snomtn.com

• Like 1

Now see..this is what I need. First of all thanks for the support and well wishes. As far as your suggestions on Boomer..the light, or lack of it...I can go with this and say "here..let's address this issue. The same with Whistler. Myself personally I feel the lights are too low and I'll bring that point up and try to get it addressed as well. Your saying "two well placed lights"........at what area?

You need one light on the headwall of Boomer and you likely need to tell the maintenance guys to have it shine across and slightly down the slope so it doesn't hit skiers/riders in the eyes when they come over the lip. There is a light just above the headwall that now shines right into a tree that could be repositioned as well.

On Whistler you likely need more than one. They added one last year in the middle. Before that the trail was literally completely unlit. Another flood light above and below that one would help to light the slope but more would be better. Those big mall parking lot lights do no light the trails well and should eventually be replaced by a completely new trail lighting system but I'm sure that is far down the list. I usually ski there at night so lighting is important to me.

Thanks again for keeping us up on any improvements and responding. I've written emails in the past to Sno and never got a reply.

Thanks again for keeping us up on any improvements and responding. I've written emails in the past to Sno and never got a reply.

I'm different..and you will see just how different I am...and for that matter the whole mountain is now. Give me 'till Monday on this...and...Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm different..and you will see just how different I am...and for that matter the whole mountain is now. Give me 'till Monday on this...and...Thanks.
I hope you guys have a great season and keep us informed. Sno has a lot to offer to those of us who want to avoid weekend crowds and like steep trails. I like it on a Saturday or Sunday night. When Blue and CB are skied down to ice you can still find good conditions at Sno right up to close. I tell people I know to drive past CB and Blue during crowded times to go to Sno.

Forgot to mention that I didn't see the deal for Sat. & Sun. night that you mentioned on their website.

Edited by trackbiker

If your a fast rider, enjoy your 30 second runs and 1 minute run from top to bottom, 6 minute lift rides up half the moutain and about 20 from top to bottom. At least they have a nice bar. Anyways, I liked it better when it was Montage...

You mean when the county owned it? No thanks. They hardly put a dime into that place, snow making was terrible, lighting even worse... Sno has it's issues no doubt, but it's a far cry from when it was goverment owned!

You mean when the county owned it? No thanks. They hardly put a dime into that place, snow making was terrible, lighting even worse... Sno has it's issues no doubt, but it's a far cry from when it was goverment owned!

I'm not saying they are the same by any means, but there are definitely parallels between Belleayre and Montage... Especially in relation to maintenance and old school snowmaking...

I hope you guys have a great season and keep us informed. Sno has a lot to offer to those of us who want to avoid weekend crowds and like steep trails. I like it on a Saturday or Sunday night. When Blue and CB are skied down to ice you can still find good conditions at Sno right up to close. I tell people I know to drive past CB and Blue during crowded times to go to Sno.

Forgot to mention that I didn't see the deal for Sat. & Sun. night that you mentioned on their website.

Wow..thanks for the push our way trackbiker! As far as the 4 for $50 deal..I put it up on Sno's FB as just a text message...but yeah..it needs to go on the website as well. Good catch...Thank You!

Just a little comic relief here...you don't realize just how steep headwalls and slope angles are...until you walk up and down them on foot. Did that yesterday on "Boomer" lugging camera gear to get a better idea of what some are saying about lighting. Pics will be up later and we'll discuss and get opinions.

I'm not saying they are the same by any means, but there are definitely parallels between Belleayre and Montage... Especially in relation to maintenance and old school snowmaking...

I never skied at Bellayre, but yeah, the snow making back then was terrible. That was in large part to patched together fan guns of early 90's vintage and the use of water sticks which didn't work very well due to lack of really cold weather in which they excell. When the new folks came in and bought it, they spent $1.1mil or so to buy all new guns and fix up a few of the better old ones. From that point, the snow was worlds better.

Seriously, the moose in its current form needs to go... Can't we somehow make a hybrid moose?

Hybrid moose....ya' want that in the Electric or Hydrogen model??

Ok, ok.......my thoughts are split although I think the "mascot" moose we have now is pretty neat, kinda like "Tux" is to the hockey team down here, but at the same time the artistic side of me..and the serious business side of me would like to see something more business oriented, and I think I used the Elk in the Hartford Insurance adverts as an example. However, this is not my call at all and quite frankly the moose I really don't think has an effect on operations at all...in fact when we bring him out on the mountain he gets swamped by all the little kids in the ski school classes..and probably one of the most classiest thing he has done for the mountain was being on skis along with "Tux" as they spent a whole afternoon promoting on MLK weekend last year...so, don't rag on the moose too hard.

From a marketing point of view, a more classic looking moose for the marketing material would be better. Actually, there are no moose in PA so it was a dumb idea to start with. But since it's there, you could use a classic, tough looking moosing similar to Elks elk or Deer Valley's deer for marketing material and still have the cartoon moose in the suit for the kids. You need to attact people from the population centers of NY/NJ and Philly to drive past Camelback, JFBB, and Blue. Promote the North Face for tough slopes and the top for easy, family skiing. "Drive a little farther and ski more." "Sno Mountain, It's worth the drive." I drove by Montage for years on the way to Greek Peak and Elk. Nothing ever enticed me to stop at Sno. I took one look at a trail map and said, "Nah". But then I admit I'm not you're big target market. I love Plattekill and Magic. Slow lifts don't bother me if there is no line. I know I'll be at the top faster than people standing in lines for high speed lifts. Most people don't realize that when there's a line, the uphill capacity is the same.

trackbiker gets it I see...keep the mascot for the kid stuff but a better more pro looking logo, as I stated a few posts up for the paperwork and advertising...so, I'll pass it along once everything settles down after this week.

As far as lift issues...that's a rethread over and over about slow/old lifts, ect..so I'll just move along as the term "beating a dead horse" comes to mind, although looks like some are actually starting to think it thru. 8,000 people an hour capacity is nothing to sneeze about, but..let's just let it be for now.

I will say however "Shadows" post above had me laughing here all morning...."keibler elves...enchanted forest".....that's classic!

• Like 1

It is beating a dead horse, but what will we have to talk about until the big announcement comes out? I mean, I get the slow lift concept... I'd much rather have slow lifts with preserved snow quality than high speed lifts that wear me out and get me bored of the mountain within 2 hours... I think we just keep talking about the lifts because new management had talked about putting in an hsq when they took control of the mountain? And they haven't... Yet?

I think it cost several hundred thousand to build and maintain and most people in PA can't don't have the opportunity to ride a 22 foot pipe.

how'd skiing powder work out for you the first time? or dropping a cliff? just because we don't have the means to do so here, doesn't mean people around here wouldn't know how to ride a 22 foot pipe.

• Like 2

Why did Blue get rid of their pipe? Too expensive to maintain.

i never mentioned anything about cost, i just corrected the false part of your statement. their pipe would have been cheaper to maintain if it was in a spot that got even sun throughout the day instead of one wall getting baked all morning and the other getting baked in the afternoon.